Which pollster is the most accurate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:56:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which pollster is the most accurate?  (Read 810 times)
ukchris82
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:43:15 AM »

I'm into American politics, but have nothing on you guys/gals.
I look at the polls and I'm unsure which ones are worth taking note of and which aren't.

Which are partisan?

Cheers

Chris
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »

Overall Mason-Dixon. Rasmussen has been the best the last few cycles.

Anything labeled an internal.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »

Beware of just about anything from Zogby and ARG.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »

zogby is the most accurate, hands down.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »

LOL

Zogby is the worst. They're not partisan, just bad.
ARG is also bad. They tend to weight their figures in favor of who they think is leading (so, for example, they had McCain leading the Republican primary in Iowa long after everyone else, and the same for Giuliani when Romney surged in Iowa).

Survey USA and Research 2000 are middling quality, but both commonly perform surveys for specific organizations, and you have to watch to see if there's a partisan or ideological slant to the organization hiring them.

Mason-Dixon and Rasmussen are the best, though Rasmussen has had a documented history of slightly favoring the Republicans long in advance of an election (though not when an election approaches). Rasmussen also uses a different approval rating formula than everyone else.

Other surveys tend to only cover a few states. Generally, universities are terrible, unless they are Quinnipiac College (which is middling) or the University of New Hampshire (which is great in New Hampshire). The Field Poll in California is gospel, but most local polls are unreliable.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 04:56:26 PM »

ARG is also bad. They tend to weight their figures in favor of who they think is leading (so, for example, they had McCain leading the Republican primary in Iowa long after everyone else, and the same for Giuliani when Romney surged in Iowa).

Is Zogby really worse than ARG?  (I'm only talking about Zogby's telephone polls here.  The internet polls are definitely worthless.)  I mean, at least for the 2008 primary cycle, ARG has been terribly out of synch with every other pollster in most of their state polls.  Far more so than Zogby.  (That doesn't necessarily prove that ARG is worse, but it's not a good sign.)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

LOL

Survey USA and Research 2000 are middling quality, but both commonly perform surveys for specific organizations, and you have to watch to see if there's a partisan or ideological slant to the organization hiring them.

Mason-Dixon and Rasmussen are the best, though Rasmussen has had a documented history of slightly favoring the Republicans long in advance of an election (though not when an election approaches). Rasmussen also uses a different approval rating formula than everyone else.

Other surveys tend to only cover a few states. Generally, universities are terrible, unless they are Quinnipiac College (which is middling) or the University of New Hampshire (which is great in New Hampshire). The Field Poll in California is gospel, but most local polls are unreliable.

I'm guessing Andrew was joking.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

LOL

I'm guessing Andrew was joking.

I guessing I knew that, but I'm not sure.
RJ
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 08:24:58 AM »

In Zogby's defence IIRC they weren't THAT bad in 2006. Not good, but not in their own class compared to say ARG or SUSA.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:37:09 AM »

Mason-Dixon's deviation:

NJ: 1.5%

PA: 4.3%

MI: 0.4%

WA: 3%

OH: 5.5%

AZ: 0.77%

MO: 1%

MD: 8%

RI: 8%

TN: 9%

VA: 0.7%

MT: 0.7%

UT: 2%

FL: 1.7%

NV: 2.5%

Average: 3.2%, wrong calls: 1 (RI)

In my opinion, not that good, but also not really disastrous. The real screw-up is really RI (+TN and MD). Beyond that they were mostly ok. In MD's defence it should be noted that these polls were half-a-week old by election day (though there are few indications of major changes in the races during that time, so it isn't much of a defence).

Zogby:

FL: 6.7%

RI: 7%

VA: 0.7%

PA: 9%

TN: 7%

OH: 4.6%

NJ: 6.5%

MT: 0.3%

MO: 1%

MD: 6%

CT: 1.8%

TX: 9%

MI: 11.5%

NY: 10%

Average: 5.8%, wrong calls: none!

Yeah, Zogby still pretty much sucks even though they were ok on most competitive races.

Rasmussen:

MO: 3%

MT: 1.3%

TN: 1.3%

VA: 0.3%

NJ: 0.5%

MN: 6%

MD: 6%

NV: 2.4%

PA: 4.3%

CT: 2.1%

WA: 8%

Average: 3.2%, wrong calls: 1 (MO, Virginia I count as a correct call)

THe problem here is that the polls at the bottom of the list are more than a week old. For some reason Rasmussen hardly polled any races really close to the election. THe ones that are really close are more spot on. So it seems Rasmussen "won" this round.

Gallup:

MO: 2%

TN: 0.2%

RI: 4%

NJ: 4.5%

MT: 8.3%

VA: 3.3%

Average: 3.7%, wrong calls: 1 (Virginia)

Also not too shabby, but this is based on a lot fewer races, so that kind of goes against them IMO.

Someone with more time should of course make one with statistical variance, etc. And include the other pollsters.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 02:55:39 AM »

MD kind of blew TN last year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies