As if it Didn't Suck Enough to Live in NJ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:55:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  As if it Didn't Suck Enough to Live in NJ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: As if it Didn't Suck Enough to Live in NJ...  (Read 1327 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »

I found out recently that NJ is the only state in the Union where I am unable to obtain a driver's license (just over 16 and a half).  Damn this state again
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »

I found out recently that NJ is the only state in the Union where I am unable to obtain a driver's license (just over 16 and a half).  Damn this state again

Why not?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:25:20 PM »

Why not?

There are already enough horrible drivers in NJ without giving licenses to 16 year olds.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:36:20 PM »

Haha. One could get a license at 14 and a half where I grew up! I didn't get mine until 15 though.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:41:40 PM »

Why not?

There are already enough horrible drivers in NJ without giving licenses to 16 year olds.

This is the correct answer.  Mr. Spade, no matter where you finish on the curve at the end of the semester, you will receive an A.

Good job.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »

Why not?

I am more qualified to drive than half of the crazy immigrants in my state
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 02:04:09 PM »

Haha. One could get a license at 14 and a half where I grew up! I didn't get mine until 15 though.

driving in nj is probably slightly more dangerous than driving in north dakota.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:07:21 PM »

There are parts of NJ that are more rural than where I lived in ND.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »

There are no real "rural" parts of NJ
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »

Why not?

I am more qualified to drive than half of the crazy immigrants in my state

That doesn't give you the right to a license though. Cheesy

Besides, I wouldn't give a license to a Gordon fan. Shows horrible taste in judgment.

Don't worry, worst drivers in the United States are Ohioans.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »

Don't worry, worst drivers in the United States are Ohioans.

I guess I'm not really in much of a position to dispute that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 04:04:48 PM »

NY is 17
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 07:36:26 PM »

NY is 17

I hate to call you out on your state but cousin just went through it.  It's 16 for a license to drive to work or school and 16.5 for a full license.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 08:41:07 PM »

There are no real "rural" parts of NJ

Depends on how you define "rural", but it has plenty of farms and redneck areas from what I hear, especially in the south. Also I said "more rural". The city I grew up in is larger than Atlantic City, so if it was in NJ, it would be considered one of the major cities in the state (Vineland is the closest city in NJ to it in population).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 10:12:47 PM »

NY is 17

I hate to call you out on your state but cousin just went through it.  It's 16 for a license to drive to work or school and 16.5 for a full license.

To get a full License in New York, you must be 17, must have passed a road test and must have taken a state sponsored driver's ed course.  You can get a Junior's License at age 16, but their are restrictions depending on the area, such as only able to drive to and from work, time restrictions, etc.  Nowhere in New York State can you get a Full License with no restrictions till your 17, and if you did not take a driver's ed course you must be 18.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 10:57:08 PM »

As it should be.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:22 PM »

I think the ND law is fine and should be universal.

-You can get a learner's permit at 14 and can only drive with someone with a license in the front seat of the car with you.
-You must have had your permit for six months and taken a behind-the-wheel course to get a full license before age 16. After 16, you can get your license regardless of how many months you'd had the permit or if you've taken the behind-the-wheel course or not (of course you have to pass the behind-the-wheel test obviously)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »

-You can get a learner's permit at 14 and can only drive with someone with a license in the front seat of the car with you.
-You must have had your permit for six months and taken a behind-the-wheel course to get a full license before age 16. After 16, you can get your license regardless of how many months you'd had the permit or if you've taken the behind-the-wheel course or not (of course you have to pass the behind-the-wheel test obviously)

In the middle of bumblef*** that might work, not in heavily populated, high traffic areas.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »

NY is 17

To get a full License in New York, you must be 17, must have passed a road test and must have taken a state sponsored driver's ed course.  You can get a Junior's License at age 16, but their are restrictions depending on the area, such as only able to drive to and from work, time restrictions, etc.  Nowhere in New York State can you get a Full License with no restrictions till your 17, and if you did not take a driver's ed course you must be 18.
Unrestricted license in NJ is 18.  17 you cannot drive from 12-5 and you can only have one non-family passenger
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »

In the middle of bumblef*** that might work, not in heavily populated, high traffic areas.

I lived in one of the more heavily populated, high traffic areas though, and there are parts of NY and NJ that are WAY more sparsely populated than where I lived.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 01:24:18 PM »

We can get our learner's at 16, probationary at 18, and full at 21. It varies a bit from state to state (the ACT allows probationary licences at 17, and each state has different probationary rules-in Victoria you are allowed to do the full speed limit (unlike NSW, for example), but you must have a 0.00 blood alcohol reading at all times, unlike the ACT, for example.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies