State Legislatures appointing Senators
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:16:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  State Legislatures appointing Senators
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: State Legislatures appointing Senators  (Read 4261 times)
raggage

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 06:40:30 PM »

I say yes. This process gave the states a real "voice" in Washington.

Does that not take away from the will of the people.b

This country is not supposed to be a pure democracy, this allows for a each state to have a say.

Yeah, but it should be for the people of that state to choose, not elected officials. And I think that would also jeopardise the dynamic of U.S politics. If the legislatures chose, then for example, we would never have states with one democrat, one republican senator, and states with heavily one-party legislatures (Massachussets, Idaho) would never see a senator from the party. Takes away from it don't you think
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004, 09:33:23 PM »

I say yes. This process gave the states a real "voice" in Washington.

Does that not take away from the will of the people.b

This country is not supposed to be a pure democracy, this allows for a each state to have a say.

Yeah, but it should be for the people of that state to choose, not elected officials. And I think that would also jeopardise the dynamic of U.S politics. If the legislatures chose, then for example, we would never have states with one democrat, one republican senator, and states with heavily one-party legislatures (Massachussets, Idaho) would never see a senator from the party. Takes away from it don't you think

Not really, it would make for interesting choices in those states where one house is Republican controlled and one house is Democratic controlled, like here in NY(Rep Senate, Dem Assembly).  
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 11:28:16 PM »

The 17th amendment was almost as stupid as the 16th amendment. It was passed because deadlock in state legislatures (i.e. one chamber Republican, one chamber Democrat) left some states without representation.
Not true.  The Congress had regulated the manner in which the legislatures conducted their senatorial elections, such that in the case of a deadlock between the chambers, they would vote jointly.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 11:41:51 PM »

ISecond, this might actually increase interest in statewide elections, which are mostly ignored nowadays.  How many people here can honestly say that they know much about their state legislators?  All the vast majority of people care about today are federal elections.
Alternatively it would convert the legislative elections into contests over which person would be elected Senator.  People would watch the senatorial debate (ala Lincoln-Douglas) and decide who to vote for in the statehouse race, totally ignoring all local issues.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2004, 11:29:07 PM »

Second, this [legislators appointing Senators] might actually increase interest in statewide elections, which are mostly ignored nowadays.  How many people here can honestly say that they know much about their state legislators?  All the vast majority of people care about today are federal elections.

It would be good if there was more interest in state elections, but I don't think state races should be tied to federal races since the issues are so different.

The ideological differences are stronger at the federal level and that's why there is split ticket voting.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2004, 04:26:50 AM »

Actually, the senate should be abolished, but if it remains in existance the people should elect senators.

Why in the world should the senate be abolished? To remove the voice of the small states?

I think Democrats would be very happy to see the voice of the small states silenced.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2004, 04:21:08 PM »

Why would the Democrats be happy to see the voice of the small states silenced?  This would include Vermont, Rhode Island, Hawaii....
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2004, 04:20:49 PM »

Actually, the senate should be abolished, but if it remains in existance the people should elect senators.

Why in the world should the senate be abolished? To remove the voice of the small states?

I think Democrats would be very happy to see the voice of the small states silenced.

Very true. Most Dhimmicrats hate rural America.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2004, 05:21:27 PM »

I wonder why that might be...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004, 09:24:50 AM »

I hate rural America like rural conservative hate urban america.

It all balances out.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2004, 03:45:14 PM »

I hate rural America like rural conservative hate urban america.

It all balances out.

Word.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2004, 01:30:09 PM »

The popular vote is the best way. We get our say as a whole, not appointing state Legislatures to do it, especially if we as a majority would disagree with the appointment of a certain person.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2004, 11:29:26 PM »

The popular vote is the best way. We get our say as a whole, not appointing state Legislatures to do it, especially if we as a majority would disagree with the appointment of a certain person.

If we are moving back towards a government that actually follows the constitution we need to do the following things :

-Go back to appointing Senators through the Legislature
-Repeal the two term only for president Amendment
-Repeal the 16th Amendment
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2005, 06:40:39 PM »

Senators were appointed by the states until 1918. I don't know exactly why they changed it...
It could distort the legislative election process, with voters supporting legislative candidates on the basis of who they would support for Senate. 

You could have outgoing legislators rather than incoming legislators pick the senators.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies