Governor's Redistricting Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:01:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Governor's Redistricting Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Governor's Redistricting Thread  (Read 4511 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2007, 03:22:46 PM »

1.Map C-Approve
2.Map A-Approve
3.Map B-Approve

I like all of them, but there is my preferential order.  Bacon King convinced me as to how good his was, we need something different.  Sorry for the confusion.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »

1.Map C-Approve
2.Map A-Approve
3.Map B-Approve

I like all of them, but there is my preferential order.  Bacon King convinced me as to how good his was, we need something different.  Sorry for the confusion.

Bacon King's is probably illegal, though, as Lewis said a few posts ago.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »

1. Map B-Approve
2. Map C-Approve
3. Map A-Disapprove

I can't believe you insist your districts aren't at all related to the regions, Jesus.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2007, 09:49:43 PM »

First Pref
2-A
2-C
1-B

Approvals
A
3-2

B
3-2

C
3-2

It is safe to eliminate Verin's map, I believe. Verin's vote would then go to C, giving it 3 to A's 2.

Anyway, it would be very irresponsible of us to pick an illegal map. I hope someone here reconsiders their vote before they knowingly fail their job completely. Please do not ignore Lewis' warning--why would you pick a map that is illegal? That is just silly. If MAS wants to abide by the vote to give it the 4/5 Governors it needs, he is free to, but I feel I would be completely failing my job as Governor if I approved a map that I know is illegal and will probably be thrown out, leaving Atlasia no new districts. So I'm sorry, but I feel that I must still disapprove of the map. My map has never been picked before and I have always accepted the map we voted on, but those maps were not illegal.

I can't believe you insist your districts aren't at all related to the regions, Jesus.

I don't really consider them when I make my map. I start at the corners and work my way inland until I have the map I want. Yes, they look somewhat similar to the regions, but I don't see how that is relevant.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »

I dont like popping in on occasions where I am not supposed to be (AKA, I love popping in where Im not supposed to be) but I would like to make a quick comment:

Please...please please please listen to Jesus. I know that sounds odds, but listen to me. The December elections are on our heels, and we need to have districts in place for them. Picking the illegal map backs everything up, we wont have elections on time (Dave knows this process is long enough once) and backing up December puts everything off track and, quite frankly lowers morale and confidence in Atlasia, a place we do not need to return for anyone here in March-April...

So lets be sensible here and keep things on track by choosing a map that usable.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2007, 10:13:49 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2007, 10:21:45 PM by Jesus »

Here a couple more maps I made.

I kept regions in mind for this one (*GASP*) except I was keeping them in mind to purposely split them up, since a couple of you seem to think that is such a great idea.

On this one, I sort of made "vertical" districts! This one doesn't stick Earl and Mr. Moderate together. I tried not thinking about that earlier, as I felt it was blatant gerrymandering, but if that's what the people want...

Anyway, Bacon King and Verin (you seem to be the biggest opponents to my original map), would either of these be tolerable? They're different, but they're not really crazy and far-flung either. I hope one of these can be a nice neutral map we can all agree on. Hopefully... Smiley

...Or somebody (HappyWarrior maybe Smiley) could just change their vote to my original map, which I still think is best. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2007, 11:16:27 PM »

Or he could change it to my map, which I believe is best.

Of yours, Jesus, the second one is better, but your time is numbered.  None can stop the inevitable broombeat of reform!  A tsunami will rise over this nation and overwhelm it with change!  Insert other utterly overwraught metaphor here!
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2007, 11:19:42 PM »

I like the second one Jesus, if you make that you're official one I will accept it.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2007, 11:22:06 PM »

Well if Bacon King or MAS can agree to my second map (the vertical one), then that would be 4/5.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2007, 11:42:35 PM »

FTR, here are three more maps. Two of them exploit the rule that Puerto Rico is adjacent to Maine.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2007, 07:30:03 AM »

I'd be willing to support Verily's first or second maps. I'd also be fine with revisiting IVL's map; the citizens seem to like that one a lot.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »

I like Jesus' first map and Verily's second.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2007, 05:54:23 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2007, 05:56:15 PM by Jesus »

This is basically the same districts map we have right now, with a few modifications to equal out the populations (maybe it can be a back-up if we don't agree to anything else in time Tongue):

Anyway, we should probably talk on AIM or something--it would be more efficient. PM me if you're interested.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2007, 08:48:19 PM »

Lets just do this already. For now on just count me as voting the same way that Jesus' does. We are on the page with this.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2007, 11:03:01 PM »

I like this map of Jesus'

[img]https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/152_19_11_07_10_11_28.gif[img]
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2007, 12:11:43 AM »

Well if you like it, and MAS votes the same way I do, and Verin thinks its okay, that would be 4/5.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2007, 09:15:15 AM »

Besides, the reason we have districts instead of just two regional Senators is because one region might end up having a lot fewer people than another--the same reason the real U.S. has the Senate and the House. District maps should make sure they all have equal or nearly equal populations--not waste time on making sure they're "unique" and "not like the regions."
This is sort of besides the point, but basing them on the "Census" (ie, the number of people who voted in the presidential election... and at the same time, the regional senator elections) rather defeats that point. The Northeast currently has about twice the population of the Southeast and Midwest.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »

Besides, the reason we have districts instead of just two regional Senators is because one region might end up having a lot fewer people than another--the same reason the real U.S. has the Senate and the House. District maps should make sure they all have equal or nearly equal populations--not waste time on making sure they're "unique" and "not like the regions."
This is sort of besides the point, but basing them on the "Census" (ie, the number of people who voted in the presidential election... and at the same time, the regional senator elections) rather defeats that point. The Northeast currently has about twice the population of the Southeast and Midwest.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2007, 11:22:08 PM »

Well if you like it, and MAS votes the same way I do, and Verin thinks its okay, that would be 4/5.

Okay, that map is selected. Tongue

Numbering, based on incumbents:
District 1 - Pink
District 2 - Dark Yellow
District 3 - Green
District 4 - Blue
District 5 - Red
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India