Lawsuit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:43:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lawsuit
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lawsuit  (Read 1053 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »

Since i missed the last election i am not taken into account when the governors redistrict, It is my contention that this is a flagrant violation of my right to proper representation in the senate.
I am asking either Opebo or Bullmoose to issue an injunction halting the redistricting until this is resolved.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:23:53 AM »

Your Honors,

I object to the motion of the plaintiff on two grounds.

Article IV, Section 4, Clause 2 of the Constitution is clear on the redistricting process:
"The Governors of the five Regions shall apportion the various States to the Districts by a two-thirds majority every four months according to the census of those registered voters who voted in the last scheduled federal election which shall be carried out as the Senate may specify with appropriate legislation."

The Constitution clearly mandates that only registered voters who voted shall be taken into consideration. This cannot be held to represent a breach of the plaintiff's constitutional rights as this is a cosntitutional provision.

Further, I contend that under the terms of the Constituion, the plaintiff does not have a right to equal representation in the Districts.
Article IV, Section 4, Clause 3 of the Constitution states:
"The difference between the number of those registered voters who voted in the last scheduled federal election in any two Districts shall be no more than three more than the minimum possible difference."

The constitution specifically allows for population deviation between districts. It specifies clearly that equality of population (and hence representation) is not necessarily required.

I thank the honorable court for its time and ask that the motion be dismissed.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:55:44 AM »

A few questions, can the plaintiff guide the court as to where it can specifically find constitutional, statutory, or common law grounding for her claim, as counsel for the defendant has done?

Mr. Jas and Madam Texas Girl

My first question is, and brother Opebo may have more, what do you think is meant by the "minimum possible difference" as quoted from Art IV, Section 4, Clause 3?

I understand that as a mathematical concept it means something like a low point on a curve or the least amount, but I can't help to think this phrasing calls for something along the lines of, smallest amount possible under the circumstances.

My other request at this juncture is, that since it may be useful to compare data for the districts in question, can counsel submit those figures to the court?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:22:51 AM »

Mr. Jas and Madam Texas Girl

My first question is, and brother Opebo may have more, what do you think is meant by the "minimum possible difference" as quoted from Art IV, Section 4, Clause 3?

I understand that as a mathematical concept it means something like a low point on a curve or the least amount, but I can't help to think this phrasing calls for something along the lines of, smallest amount possible under the circumstances.

My understanding of the meaning of the phrase (in the context) is as you say, the smallest amount possible under the circumstances. (The smallest amount possible being, as I understand it, either 0 or 1 depending on the particular numbers in play.) Having said that, the text clearly allows for significant deviation from the minimum possible - in effect explicitly stating that absolute equality of representation is not a Constitutional right.

I would underline though that the clause in question is irrefutably linked with the number of registered voters who voted. It is clear on a plain reading of the text that no consideration is required, warranted or necessary regarding those persons on the register of voters but who did not vote at the previous federal election.

The Constitution mandates that districts can be constructed within set limits of inequality in population of registered voters who voted at the previous federal election. This has been the case since the adoption of the Second Constitution. Should the court find in favour of the plaintiff on her stated grounds, every redistricting since the adoption of the constitution would be in doubt, thus rendering every Senate's composition as legally dubious and all matters passed, of legislation or otherwise, of questionable authority.

I would also note that an amendment was offered only last September which would have guaranteed absolute equality of representation, which the Plaintiff voted against favouring the status quo.

My other request at this juncture is, that since it may be useful to compare data for the districts in question, can counsel submit those figures to the court?

The districts having not yet been decided upon, such figures don't yet exist (if I properly understand the question). As I understand it submissions are currently being taken and considered.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:43:15 PM »

I am dropping this, I don't have time for this.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 02:41:41 PM »

Case Dismissed without prejudice
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies