N.J. to vote on abolishing death penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:34:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  N.J. to vote on abolishing death penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: N.J. to vote on abolishing death penalty  (Read 3532 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 13, 2007, 12:36:19 AM »

"New Jersey is going to be a beacon on the hill."

First for everything I suppose.
Oh no we aren't the richest state in the nation and don't have the best education system.

New Jersey was the richest state in the nation.  Now, it's Maryland.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:53:50 AM »

"We live in dangerous times," said Sen. Gerald Cardinale. "While there are problems with the way the death penalty is administered in New Jersey, abolishing it is not the solution."

Stupid Cardinale. Shouldn't he know that New Jersey hasn't executed anyone since it became legal to do so anyway?

I actually like that aspect of New Jersey's death penalty.  I think we should keep the death penalty around, but just not actually execute anyone.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »

Yeah, good work on getting rid of a punishment that New Jersey hasn't used, had no plans to use, and would likely never get around to using.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:44:12 AM »

TRENTON — The New Jersey General Assembly approved a bill eliminating capital punishment on Thursday, clearing the way for Gov. Jon S. Corzine to sign the measure as early as Monday.

Mr. Corzine said he would act quickly. “It will be very, very prompt,” he said at a news conference on Thursday. “I’m sure it will be within the next week.”

Once he signs the bill, New Jersey will become the first state in the modern era of capital punishment to repeal the death penalty.

The voting did not break down exclusively along party lines, however. Three Republicans joined 41 Democrats in the Assembly to pass the bill, 44 to 36. Surprisingly, nine Democrats voted against the measure. On Monday in the Senate, 4 Republicans joined 17 Democrats to muster just enough support to get the 21 votes needed to pass a bill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/nyregion/14death.html

"Surprisingly."  Ha, ha, ha.  How anyone could be surprised by Greenstein (voting in sync with Baroni), Van Drew, Panter, or Bodine voting "no" is beyond me.

I do love our little tally board.

I think Diegnan is pro-life, no?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies