from reagan to mondale?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:58:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  from reagan to mondale?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: from reagan to mondale?  (Read 2158 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »

what counties went for reagan in 80 but flipped and went for mondale in 84?

i only know of one...tompkins county ny.  which was due mainly to anderson in 80.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 01:35:37 PM »

Armstrong County, Pennsylvania -

1984: 51% Mondale, 48% Reagan
1980: 47% Reagan, 46% Carter

Again the Anderson factor I suppose. 
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:37:12 PM »

Quite a few counties in Iowa did as well - due to the farm crisis as well I suppose.  Iowa was one of Mondale's best states in 1984 in fact.  I expect there might be a few in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas that Dukakis won or came close in 1988 - again due to economic factors - switched sides or were closer in 1984 than they had been in 1980. 
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »

I saw at least 2 or 3 counties in Minnesota that went for Reagan in '80 but went to Mondale in '84.

Also saw the following...

In California, Marin County and Santa Cruz.
Washington - Jefferson County.
Colorado - Denver County.

I'm sure there's more.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »

Yup. In addition to Jefferson, Cowlitz and Wahkiakum counties also switched in Washington.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:10:09 PM »

A more interesting question may be the type of voters who voted for Reagan in 1980 but voted for Mondale in 1984.  Farmers, converts to atheism, out-of-the-closet gays?  There couldn't have been that many.
gorkay

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:37:21 PM »

My father may have been one of the few voters of his era who voted for both Goldwater and McGovern.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:30:11 PM »

my father proudly admits to voting carter twice.  that is surprising given how conservative my dad is and that he still doesnt regret his carter votes.

near as i can tell my dad's voting history is:

72: nixon
76: carter
90: carter
84: libertarian
88: libertarian
92: perot
96: perot
00: bush
04: bush

but back on topic....sort of...the thing about the 84 election that still baffles me is...why was tennessee so close...compared to the rest of the south?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:05:50 AM »

my father proudly admits to voting carter twice.  that is surprising given how conservative my dad is and that he still doesnt regret his carter votes.

but back on topic....sort of...the thing about the 84 election that still baffles me is...why was tennessee so close...compared to the rest of the south?

Why would he never vote for Reagan?  And what do you think your dad will vote in 2008? 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 10:09:37 AM »

Keweenaw, MI flipped from Reagan to Mondale.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »

Why would he never vote for Reagan?  And what do you think your dad will vote in 2008? 

he always disliked reagan.  ive never quite understood why, since my dad is a very conservative fellow.  i get the impression that he thought reagan was never really 'in charge'.

as for 2008, i dont know who he supports.  he hasnt spoken much about it.  most of my life my dad has considered himself an independent...but like i said he is very conservative...in a libertarian sort of way...he isnt religious at all.

on economic and civil liberties issues i think my dad is very similar to ron paul.  but my dad strongly supports the iraq war and the war on terror in general, so i dont think he would vote for paul. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 02:56:31 PM »

Tennessee was a bit (not all that much really) better for Mondale b/c a lot of people along the Tennessee River are blindly Democratic. I don't really know why, but Democratic support for TVA seems a plausible guess.
gorkay

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 03:40:08 PM »

My dad was all over the map politically. He usually voted against someone more than he did for anyone. He was a television reporter, so he got to meet a lot of the candidates... he met Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon, John and Robert Kennedy, LBJ, Muskie, and an assortment of others. His favorites were Truman, whom he met and interviewed after his presidency, and Bobby Kennedy, whom he met when he was running in 1968. He accidentally rapped Ike on the knuckles with a microphone during a whistle-stop speech and got a dirty look from him. I got to shake LBJ's hand in 1964, when he was campaigning. His hand was huge and his grip bone-crushing, as you might expect.

I know that my dad voted for FDR in 1944, which was the first year he was eligible to vote (he was in the Army at the time). I'm not sure how he went in '48. I know he voted for Stevenson at least once, but I don't know if he did both times, or if only once, which time he did. He went for Kennedy in '60 and Goldwater in '64. I think the Goldwater vote was more an anti-LBJ than anything else. In '68 he voted for Nixon, mostly in exasperation over the Democratic party's inability to wrap up the Vietnam war, and despised Nixon thereafter, because he thought he betrayed him. So in '72 he voted for McGovern, and I believe he voted for the Democratic candidate every year thereafter. He disliked Reagan about as much as he did Nixon, and was a big fan of Clinton's.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 12:09:29 PM »

My dad was all over the map politically. He usually voted against someone more than he did for anyone. He was a television reporter, so he got to meet a lot of the candidates... he met Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon, John and Robert Kennedy, LBJ, Muskie, and an assortment of others. His favorites were Truman, whom he met and interviewed after his presidency, and Bobby Kennedy, whom he met when he was running in 1968. He accidentally rapped Ike on the knuckles with a microphone during a whistle-stop speech and got a dirty look from him. I got to shake LBJ's hand in 1964, when he was campaigning. His hand was huge and his grip bone-crushing, as you might expect.

I know that my dad voted for FDR in 1944, which was the first year he was eligible to vote (he was in the Army at the time). I'm not sure how he went in '48. I know he voted for Stevenson at least once, but I don't know if he did both times, or if only once, which time he did. He went for Kennedy in '60 and Goldwater in '64. I think the Goldwater vote was more an anti-LBJ than anything else. In '68 he voted for Nixon, mostly in exasperation over the Democratic party's inability to wrap up the Vietnam war, and despised Nixon thereafter, because he thought he betrayed him. So in '72 he voted for McGovern, and I believe he voted for the Democratic candidate every year thereafter. He disliked Reagan about as much as he did Nixon, and was a big fan of Clinton's.

Wow, votes for Stevenson, Goldwater, and McGovern. He definitely wasn't your typical American, that's for sure. Smiley

Though I'm sure quite a few majority black counties in the Deep South voted for all of the above three candidates.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »

he always disliked reagan.  ive never quite understood why, since my dad is a very conservative fellow.  i get the impression that he thought reagan was never really 'in charge'.

as for 2008, i dont know who he supports.  he hasnt spoken much about it.  most of my life my dad has considered himself an independent...but like i said he is very conservative...in a libertarian sort of way...he isnt religious at all.

on economic and civil liberties issues i think my dad is very similar to ron paul.  but my dad strongly supports the iraq war and the war on terror in general, so i dont think he would vote for paul. 

Sounds like my father-in-law. He's religously active and generally conservative, but a very active supporter of secularism  and racial equality since the 60s (pro-civil rights, pro-choice et al.). 

He likes Hickabee's personality, but will probably vote for Guiliani in Super Duder Tuesday.  I think my dad in Florida is the same exact way. He voted for Bush in '92, Clinton in '96 and Bush in '00.

My Mom's record-

1980- Carter
1984- Mondale
1988- Dukakis (I was 3 when she had me come with her...I was kinda upset..I thought it would be more exciting, then again, I was whinning that she didn't do Bush...my dad did Bush that year, too)
1992- Clinton
1996- Clinton
2000- Gore
2004- Kerry

My step-dad is the same, but he was about to vote for McGovern. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies