Ideological rankings of Northeastern states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:04:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Ideological rankings of Northeastern states
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ideological rankings of Northeastern states  (Read 938 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2007, 08:18:43 PM »

It looks like we've covered every other region of the country (actually not the Plains from ND to OK, but I'm not very familiar with that area), so I'll take a stab at the Northeastern states.

Social

Right

Pennsylvania
New Hampshire
Maine
Delaware
Connecticut
Maryland
Rhode Island
New Jersey
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

Left

Economic

Right

New Hampshire
Delaware
Connecticut
New Jersey
Maine
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Maryland
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
New York

Left
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:57:03 PM »

It looks like we've covered every other region of the country (actually not the Plains from ND to OK, but I'm not very familiar with that area), so I'll take a stab at the Northeastern states.

Social

Right

Pennsylvania
New Hampshire
Maine
Delaware
Connecticut
Maryland
Rhode Island
New Jersey
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

Left

Economic

Right

New Hampshire
Delaware
Connecticut
New Jersey
Maine
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Maryland
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
New York

Left

Geez I created one almost simulataneously with you!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 11:08:16 PM »

Social

Right

Pennsylvania
New Hampshire
Maine
Delaware
Connecticut
Maryland
Rhode Island
New Jersey
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

Left

Economic

Right

New Hampshire
Delaware
Connecticut
New Jersey
Maine
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Maryland
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
New York

Left

I think you're way off on this one.

Social
Delaware: 1.00
Pennsylvania: 0.70
Maine: 0.00
Connecticut: -0.50
New Hampshire: -0.80
Maryland: -1.20
New York: -2.00
Rhode Island: -2.50
New Jersey: -3.00
Vermont: -4.00
Massachusetts: -4.00

Economic
New Hampshire: 1.50
New Jersey: 0.50
Connecticut: 0.00
Maine: -0.50
Delaware: -0.50
Pennsylvania: -0.80
Massachusetts: -1.30
Rhode Island: -1.50
Vermont: -2.50
Maryland: -3.00
New York: -3.50
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:29:08 PM »

Social

Right

Pennsylvania
New Hampshire
Maine
Delaware
Connecticut
Maryland
Rhode Island
New Jersey
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts

Left

Economic

Right

New Hampshire
Delaware
Connecticut
New Jersey
Maine
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Maryland
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
New York

Left

I think you're way off on this one.

Social
Delaware: 1.00
Pennsylvania: 0.70
Maine: 0.00
Connecticut: -0.50
New Hampshire: -0.80
Maryland: -1.20
New York: -2.00
Rhode Island: -2.50
New Jersey: -3.00
Vermont: -4.00
Massachusetts: -4.00

Economic
New Hampshire: 1.50
New Jersey: 0.50
Connecticut: 0.00
Maine: -0.50
Delaware: -0.50
Pennsylvania: -0.80
Massachusetts: -1.30
Rhode Island: -1.50
Vermont: -2.50
Maryland: -3.00
New York: -3.50

Delaware most socially conservative?HuhHuh  Look at my list on the other thread.  By land area, I'd say you're not far off, but most of the state lives in Northern Delaware which hovers between Liberal and Libertarian if anything.  I don't think ANY Northeastern state is socially conservative.  I ranked PA most socially conservative at a -1.5 on my list.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:41:05 PM »

Delaware most socially conservative?HuhHuh  Look at my list on the other thread.  By land area, I'd say you're not far off, but most of the state lives in Northern Delaware which hovers between Liberal and Libertarian if anything.  I don't think ANY Northeastern state is socially conservative.  I ranked PA most socially conservative at a -1.5 on my list.

Wilmington as socially liberal? I highly doubt it. Wilmington is an industrial town with a socially moderate population at best. Delaware is actually a surprisingly conservative state all told for one that votes Democratic, probably the most conservative Kerry state in the country.

Also, I have to disagree with the assessment of the Northeast as all beyond -1.50 on the social scale. I'm not going to go into an argument here, but a good part of the Northeast is not at all socially liberal (depends where you're talking about, really).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »

I would agree with NClib's list except I would say Vermont is the most socially liberal state.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 12:00:24 AM »

Wilmington as socially liberal? I highly doubt it. Wilmington is an industrial town with a socially moderate population at best. Delaware is actually a surprisingly conservative state all told for one that votes Democratic, probably the most conservative Kerry state in the country.

Also, I have to disagree with the assessment of the Northeast as all beyond -1.50 on the social scale. I'm not going to go into an argument here, but a good part of the Northeast is not at all socially liberal (depends where you're talking about, really).

Delware and Wilmington would qualify as socially liberal.  Han't been done in about a year but the approval SUSA poll on delaware generally asked the pro-life pro-choice question, Delaware usually hovered around the 60% mark or o pro-choice and in the low 30's pro-life.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 12:07:13 AM »

Delware and Wilmington would qualify as socially liberal.  Han't been done in about a year but the approval SUSA poll on delaware generally asked the pro-life pro-choice question, Delaware usually hovered around the 60% mark or o pro-choice and in the low 30's pro-life.

That's about a 1.00; that's about what the country says about abortion, too, and the country is definitely marginally right of center socially. Supporting abortion does not make a region socially liberal; opposing abortion makes a region really conservative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies