Which of the following should be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:06:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which of the following should be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of the following should be legal?
Public schools

Private schools

Homeschooling

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following should be legal?  (Read 1722 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You forgot Emo and\or Rick Santorum.

I would say somewhat the same if you define by what is meant by "public"; a large function of schooling as it is after all is to make one be "trained" into the society you live in (This is pretty much an undeniable fact).

I've never said that I think no child should be barred from access to education; especially if said child happens to be among lower income bracket families.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »

I have serious qualms about home schooling standards and would like the ability to home school to be strictly monitored, essentially having permission given only a situation where there is some clear impediment to the child attending public schools (preventing parents from keeping their children at home to brainwash or because they are overly protective). Private and parochial schools are fine with me as long as the latter get no government funding, and public education is the best thing since sliced bread.

Why allow private, but not homeschooling?

Private institutions, because of the number of students, tend to average to some level of decency. With homeschooling, you're more likely to end up with nutcase parents doing the teaching. In any case, private schools are slightly regulated (though to a lesser extent than public schools).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 08:27:37 AM »

I would say somewhat the same if you define by what is meant by "public"; a large function of schooling as it is after all is to make one be "trained" into the society you live in (This is pretty much an undeniable fact).

I've never said that I think no child should be barred from access to education; especially if said child happens to be among lower income bracket families.

I've certainly never gotten the impression that private schools do a better job of allowing you to function in society. Rather the opposite, actually; most of my fellow private school graduates were too insulated from society to achieve anything, while public school graduates were much more driven to succeed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies