How are we entering polls?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How are we entering polls?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How are we entering polls?  (Read 647 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »

What are we doing for states like VA - where the guy who has the best approval isn't doing the best against the opponent - which polls do we want to use?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:38:07 PM »

Whoever leads in the primary polling?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:57:25 PM »

Would say either who leads the Primary polling or whoever is actually in the race or likely to be in.  For example in VA, Allen generally has the better numbers against Warner (though Warner is still well ahead) however I wouldn't put the poll with Allen in there because he isn't running yet, nor i their any indication he will run.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:15:04 PM »

Would say either who leads the Primary polling or whoever is actually in the race or likely to be in.  For example in VA, Allen generally has the better numbers against Warner (though Warner is still well ahead) however I wouldn't put the poll with Allen in there because he isn't running yet, nor i their any indication he will run.

OK - but it's important to point out that there are a lot of states that haven't had primary polls.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:13:03 AM »

OK - but it's important to point out that there are a lot of states that haven't had primary polls.

For the most part you won't see all that many General Election polls in states their are no Primary polls.  Granted we have seen general election polls in VA, and no Primary polls, such as Allen going up against Warner, and we haven't seen a poll with Allen in a Primary, but Allen isn't even in the race.  Other times you might not see a primary poll, but it is obvious who the frontrunner is so go with that (Udall in NM for example)

As a whole I would say this:

If the General Election Poll has more than one candidate from either or both sides go with the candidate who is declared or likely to jump in if the others are not (it makes no sense to include polls of candidates who likely won't run

If the General Election Poll has more than one candidate from either or both sides, if Primary polling does exist and the candidates in those polls are either declared or likely to enter go with the candidates who are leading the primary polling

If the General Election poll has more than one candidate from one or both sides, if more than one candidate from either or both sides has declared or is likely to jump in and their is no Primary Polls, go with the frontrunner (for example again with NM, you don't need Primary polling to tell you that Udall & Wilson are their Parties frontrunners)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies