Is the Green Party any less corrupt than the two major ones?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:19:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the Green Party any less corrupt than the two major ones?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the Green Party any less corrupt than the two major ones?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is the Green Party any less corrupt than the two major ones?  (Read 2543 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »

No. People who think this make me laugh. Do they honestly believe if the Greens actually won elections they wouldn't have ANY politicians caught up in corruption scandals? Nader's had scandals himself but I won't bring that up again and he's not even really a Green anyway.

There was a Green on the Minneapolis City Council until 2006. In 2005 he lost reelection. He's now in prison, sentenced to 5 years over a bribery scandal.

Is that just an anamoly? If the Greens won more reelections would there not be any others like him?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:24:44 PM »

A party cannot be corrupt.  Certain members of one can be, however.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »

I'll strongly dispute that
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2007, 04:31:34 PM by Got Ireland? »

If that's the standard you using, then no the Green Party are certainly not corrupt nor for that matter are either of the two big parties despite everything. (Btw as an aside, know how the CIA basically rigged the post-war Italian elections in order to make the Christian Democrats win over the communists? Despite being maintained for years this is now  not a conspiracy theory)

In general though Joe is Right. Also I suspect due to the nature of many Green Party activists that there is less corruption among the party's rank and file than than the "big two" but I suspect that is true for nearly all third parties.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:29:53 PM »

yes.  mainly, but not entirely, because it is out of power.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »

The following is taken from that article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Note the use of the word "some".  My (unedited) point still stands.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 04:36:51 PM »

In general though Joe is Right. Also I suspect due to the nature of many Green Party activists that there is less corruption among the party's rank and file than than the "big two" but I suspect that is true for nearly all third parties.

Per capita, the Green Party is the most corrupt party in Minneapolis, with 50% of its elected officials now in jail for corruption, with the Democrats second. The Minneapolis Republican Party is not corrupt at all, but that's because there might as well not be a Minneapolis Republican Party because they never win anything (I mean that literally by the way. No Republican in Minneapolis has been elected to as much of a school board seat in over a decade)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »

Per capita, the Green Party is the most corrupt party in Minneapolis, with 50% of its elected officials now in jail for corruption, with the Democrats second. The Minneapolis Republican Party is not corrupt at all, but that's because there might as well not be a Minneapolis Republican Party because they never win anything (I mean that literally by the way. No Republican in Minneapolis has been elected to as much of a school board seat in over a decade)

Huge sample size you are choosing from there. If that was a poll it would a MOE of about 10,000,000%. Anyway I was referring to the rank and file not the politicians.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »

Huge sample size you are choosing from there. If that was a poll it would a MOE of about 10,000,000%. Anyway I was referring to the rank and file not the politicians.

How can a rank and file member of a party not in power be corrupt?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 04:50:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean Corrupt individuals; or individuals that could possibly be corrupt in power. I suspect there is alot more of those in the Democrats or Republicans than in the Greens (or the Libertarians or the Constitutionalists; who probably have the smallest level of corruption of all, unless we bring sex into the equation - in which case the highest). That is the "nature of the big beast".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 04:56:36 PM »

How can a rank and file member of a party in power be corrupt?

(Assuming that person isn't in a position of power themselves, of course; much like the same person you referred to above.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »

(Assuming that person isn't in a position of power themselves, of course; much like the same person you referred to above.)

They can't. That's my point. Talking about rank and file members in terms of corruption is pointless.

And the person mentioned is not currently in power, but he was most certainly corrupt when he was.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »

No. It's moreso since it's an ideological circlejerk.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »

They can't. That's my point. Talking about rank and file members in terms of corruption is pointless.

And the person mentioned is not currently in power, but he was most certainly corrupt when he was.

Then your point doesn't make any sense, and serves only to strengthen my earlier one.  A party cannot be corrupt.  Certain members of one can be, however.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »

No. People who think this make me laugh. Do they honestly believe if the Greens actually won elections they wouldn't have ANY politicians caught up in corruption scandals? Nader's had scandals himself but I won't bring that up again and he's not even really a Green anyway.

There was a Green on the Minneapolis City Council until 2006. In 2005 he lost reelection. He's now in prison, sentenced to 5 years over a bribery scandal.

Is that just an anamoly? If the Greens won more reelections would there not be any others like him?

Wait a minute. You're criticizing the Greens because one of their elected officials accepted bribes? Ever hear of lobbying? How many democrats do you suppose take bribes? Only thing this guy did differently is got caught.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »

I'll say for now they are less corrupt, but if they ever gain enough power, it won't take long for them to catch up to the Republicrats.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »

Any politician in power is liable to potentially be corrupt.  It has nothing to do with what party the politician is a member of and has everything to do with how much the politician can do for someone who bribes him.  The reason why the parties other than the Democrats and Republicans seem so untainted by bribes and cronyism is because there's no reason whatsoever to bribe their members and their members are not in a position to appoint cronies to anything.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 10:41:52 PM »

Yes, as it (and other third parties) doesn't actually have any real governing power to prove otherwise.  Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 01:37:57 PM »

Yes, as it (and other third parties) doesn't actually have any real governing power to prove otherwise.  Tongue

I gave an example of how it proved otherwise in the first post.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies