Is it hilarious and fitting that Phillip Morris funds thetruth.com?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:06:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is it hilarious and fitting that Phillip Morris funds thetruth.com?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is it hilarious and fitting that Phillip Morris funds thetruth.com?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Is it hilarious and fitting that Phillip Morris funds thetruth.com?  (Read 2949 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:24:48 PM »

thetruth.com is ran by a non-profit anti-smoking organization which was founded by a group of 46 state attorneys general and is funded by a lawsuit settlement over the tobacco industry. The Truth is funded by by a portion of Phillip Morris' settlement.

Personally I think so and I'm quite happy too since anything that harms the tobacco industry and wastes their money I support.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:44:43 PM »

No - tobacco companies aren't at fault for people smoking.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 07:46:49 PM »

Sure they are, since if they didn't make the product people couldn't smoke, and they try to get as many people smoking as possible.

*Yes, I know that alcohol companies also try to get as many people drinking as possible. But this doesn't bother me because I think drinking alcohol is a good thing and smoking tobacco is a bad thing.

**Does this make me a hypocrite? Only if every single person who drinks but doesn't smoke is a hypocrite, since if someone thinks alcohol is a bad thing they wouldn't drink, while if someone thought tobacco is a good thing they would smoke. Obviously anyone who drinks alcohol and doesn't smoke considers alcohol a good thing and tobacco a bad thing.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »

Sure they are, since if they didn't make the product people couldn't smoke, and they try to get as many people smoking as possible.

*Yes, I know that alcohol companies also try to get as many people drinking as possible. But this doesn't bother me because I think drinking alcohol is a good thing and smoking tobacco is a bad thing.

**Does this make me a hypocrite? Only if every single person who drinks but doesn't smoke is a hypocrite, since if someone thinks alcohol is a bad thing they wouldn't drink, while if someone thought tobacco is a good thing they would smoke. Obviously anyone who drinks alcohol and doesn't smoke considers alcohol a good thing and tobacco a bad thing.

You do know that people were smoking long, long, long before there were tobacco companies, right?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »

Sure. But would less people smoke with no pre-made cigarettes or marketing?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »

It makes every single person a hypocrite who wants to legalize what they like and ban what they don't purely on the grounds of their personal preference.

You're quite possibly the most Machiavellian person I've ever met on this topic.  Most people at least try to keep up a façade of having an objective moral reason for their positions on such things instead of just blatantly coming out and saying that you want restrictions on what you hate and no restrictions on what you like.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »

It makes every single person a hypocrite who wants to legalize what they like and ban what they don't purely on the grounds of their personal preference.

When have I ever said that tobacco should be completely banned?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 10:12:28 PM »

No, and frankly I find their damn commercials to be pretentious.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:54:41 AM »

BRTD, why not simply read Philip Morris' website?

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/health_issues/default.asp

You must be logged in to read this quote.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 04:09:40 AM »

You do know that people were smoking long, long, long before there were tobacco companies, right?

I admire your misplaced optimism!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 06:17:28 AM »

You said that you support "anything that harms the tobacco industry"; you might as well support a ban on cigarettes.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »

Yes but they among the last ever to admit that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »

Then they ought to quit the business. They own other things too that they could move to (even though I currently boycott them).

BTW, isn't it kind of hypocritical to attack people for corporatism but basically take the position tobacco corporations are immaculate and can never do any wrong?

You said that you support "anything that harms the tobacco industry"; you might as well support a ban on cigarettes.

And you accuse me of using logical fallacies? That's quite a leap.

I would love to see every tobacco industry bankrupted. I would laugh my ass off if I heard of some tobacco executive losing his job, being ruined, and then blowing his brains out as a result. But I wouldn't support banning tobacco because that WOULD be hypocritical. I just hope that anyone who profits off tobacco suffers and has their life ruined. They deserve it as much as people involved with Halliburton.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 12:29:18 PM »

I am channeling my inner teenager, and he is saying that anti-smoking campaigns aimed at teenagers make him want to smoke.

By this point everyone is fully aware that smoking is unhealthy, detrimental, generally frowned upon, won't make you cool or popular, and is largely gross. These campaigns make these facts even more trite, to the point where they can be easily dismissed. In a strange way, it is almost beneficial for Phillip Morris to fund such things. They can appear to be funding a public good while at the same forming a new callous generation of defiant smokers.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »

I am channeling my inner teenager, and he is saying that anti-smoking campaigns aimed at teenagers make him want to smoke.

By this point everyone is fully aware that smoking is unhealthy, detrimental, generally frowned upon, won't make you cool or popular, and is largely gross. These campaigns make these facts even more trite, to the point where they can be easily dismissed. In a strange way, it is almost beneficial for Phillip Morris to fund such things. They can appear to be funding a public good while at the same forming a new callous generation of defiant smokers.

Word.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 12:37:38 PM »

The same goes for cars - people wouldn't die in car accidents without cars - and motorcycles - that's an accident waiting to happen.  Let's make Harley Davidson put out comercials on the dangers of motorcycles.  What about jaw breakers - my mom's cousin choked on a jaw breaker and passed out for minutes and had to go to the hospital because paramedics couldn't get it out.

PEANUTS - they kill people - let's have Jiffy put out commercials on the dangers of peanut allergies.

Come on - your argument makes implications that go to a ridiculous level.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 02:20:29 AM »

truth.com helps the tobacco industry because it's lame and makes kids want to smoke.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 06:15:15 AM »

truth.com helps the tobacco industry because it's lame and makes kids want to smoke.
Agreed.  The ads are so bad that I have little doubt that they actually encourage smoking.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2007, 01:34:05 PM by StateBoiler »

They make a product to sell to consumers. WOW!

My grandfather died smoking and I never have smoked, but I have a message for anyone that uses cigarettes or is considering it.

Attention smokers: if you use tobacco, chances are you will eventually die from it. You're warned. If you die in the future, it's your fault. Don't talk about addiction, you're looking for an escape route for someone to pity you so you won't have to go through withdrawel. It's called will power. Just tell yourself to stop and don't buy any. So if after being told this, you continue to smoke, you're responsible for your own behavior and what happens to you.

Note: Alcohol has killed far more innocent people than smoking ever will. Drunk drivers kill people that do not drink, in my state drunk driving and killing someone is treated as murder by the state. While very very rarely has a person gotten lung cancer from secondhand smoke from cigarettes.

Would less people eat high fructose corn syrup at all if they weren't in twinkies?

And what marketing? What avenue do teens of today frequent that has tobacco advertisements? TV? Radio? Internet? (I've never seen one on the sites I frequent.)

Do you think marijuana, a weed, should be legal? You know what tobacco is, right? It is a weed. To me there is nothing more hypocritical than a person that wants marijuana legal but think tobacco should be banned.

If marijuana ever became legal, don't you think the likes of Philip Morris (which is actually no longer Philip Morris, it is Altria Group now, a company with 28.7% ownership of SABMiller brewery consisting of Miller beers, so there goes your "alcohol is okay" thing again) would be one of the first companies to commercially sell marijuana? Would you support Philip Morris-marketed marijuana?

"Get yourself high with that crisp Sierra Nevada taste of Marlboro Marijuana."
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 02:33:57 PM »

Those are good points, although on the last part I would note that frankly the tobacco companies support the War on Drugs, including laws against marijuana, simply because they theorize that if marijuana were cheaper to buy (as it would be if legalized), people would buy less cigarettes.  Actually, maybe that's the alcohol industry.  From what I understand there's a high correlation between smoking and the use of nearly any illicit drug.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »

Those are good points, although on the last part I would note that frankly the tobacco companies support the War on Drugs, including laws against marijuana, simply because they theorize that if marijuana were cheaper to buy (as it would be if legalized), people would buy less cigarettes.  Actually, maybe that's the alcohol industry.  From what I understand there's a high correlation between smoking and the use of nearly any illicit drug.

Actually it would not surprise me if in the near future  the tobacco industry comes out for marijuana legalization at least. For a start they have the ability and means to deliver goods at a mass level, unlike say the illegal growers and secondly Marijuana has nowadays a far less social stigma than tobacco does; despite the former being illegal (in name only if we are being honest; but the establishment, WTI, would like to think otherwise.)
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 03:46:17 PM »

this
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »

I never said marijuana should be legal and tobacco should be illegal since I never said tobacco should be illegal (however at least one person on this forum supports legalizing marijuana and banning tobacco). However long-term marijuana use is FAR safer than long-term tobacco.

And yes, pot is less stigmatized than tobacco in my circles. I know people who won't allow tobacco smoking in their places but will allow pot. Mostly because pot is viewed as a cool way to get high while tobacco is just seen as a pointless disgusting habit.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 05:24:55 PM »

I would laugh my ass off if I heard of some tobacco executive losing his job, being ruined, and then blowing his brains out as a result.

Sickening.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 09:59:57 PM »

Tobacco execs are evil people. Like Ian Smith.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies