Pollina intends to run for Governor again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:22:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pollina intends to run for Governor again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pollina intends to run for Governor again  (Read 1417 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2007, 08:04:19 PM »

http://www.progressiveparty.org/?page=5&articlemode=showspecific&showarticle=201

The former chairman of America's most successful third party, the Vermont Progressive Party, has announced his intention to run again.

He got 10% in 2000 and then 25% in 2002 running for Lt. Governor. How well will he do this time?
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:13:39 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 12:27:52 AM by Kevinstat »

Does the Vermont Legislature still choose the Governor if no candidate gets a majority?  And if so, are they restricted to the top two candidates?

I wonder who the Legislature would pick if the Democrats still dominated it and the election went Douglas (corrected from "Douglass" - I wasn't trying to say DouglASS or anything like that - oops, just did I guess) 49%, Pollina 24%, Democratic nominee 23%, with 4% for other candidates, and they had to choose between Douglas and Pollina.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:14:50 PM »

Douglas-Racine-Pollina would be an interesting race for sure. It'd be difficult for Douglas to stay above 50% with attacks from two opponents, but Racine and Pollina would have to explicitly state to the people that their intent is to throw the election to the legislature and promise that, if so thrown, the Democrats and Progressives would rally behind the candidate with more votes of Racine and Pollina.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:26:05 AM »

Does the Vermont Legislature still choose the Governor if no candidate gets a majority?  And if so, are they restricted to the top two candidates?

I wonder who the Legislature would pick if the Democrats still dominated it and the election went Douglas (corrected from "Douglass" - I wasn't trying to say DouglASS or anything like that - oops, just did I guess) 49%, Pollina 24%, Democratic nominee 23%, with 2% for other candidates (and that 2% is probably conservative for Vermont), and they had to choose between Douglas and Pollina.

That's same question that is raised by a Bloomberg presidential candidacy. If  none of the candidates reach 270 in the Electoral College and the GOP nominee and Bloomberg finish ahead of the Democratic standardbearer in the popular vote, would the U.S House have an obligation to side with the mandate of the people and choose a Republican or an Indepdent for the Presidency?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:52:39 AM »

I wonder who the Legislature would pick if the Democrats still dominated it and the election went Douglas (corrected from "Douglass" - I wasn't trying to say DouglASS or anything like that - oops, just did I guess) 49%, Pollina 24%, Democratic nominee 23%, with 2% for other candidates (and that 2% is probably conservative for Vermont), and they had to choose between Douglas and Pollina.

That's same question that is raised by a Bloomberg presidential candidacy. If  none of the candidates reach 270 in the Electoral College and the GOP nominee and Bloomberg finish ahead of the Democratic standardbearer in the popular vote, would the U.S House have an obligation to side with the mandate of the people and choose a Republican or an Indepdent for the Presidency?

I think that dilemma is different -- no one could really say where Bloomberg's voters came more from, so unless the divide is particularly large, I think they'd be justified in choosing the Democrat (though I'd rather they went Bloomberg as a compromise). It is safe to assume, on the other hand, that Pollina's supporters are almost all Democrats or other left-leaners.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 12:00:52 AM »

The Democrats have thought about instituting IRV for years, if Pollina starts to do really well maybe they would finally do it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies