Antillian Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:59:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Antillian Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Antillian Constitutional Convention  (Read 29360 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »

Dudley

If it will move this along, Aye.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »

Aye
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 05:19:19 AM »

Nay
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »

Aye
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »

(Dudley stands during a lull)

Clearly we have a majority. I would like to know when this vote closes, as I feel we need to move on with other pressing issues.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 06:04:03 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 09:15:11 AM »

I agree with Dudley.

The world is watching. We must establish the bones of our democracy and then let the meat sort out itself.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »

Egbert Dudley

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Alexandre Denoix. We are spending far too much time voting on what is really a light vote with no real consequence. I would ask that Mr. Davey Jones close this vote so that we may please move to the important issues.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 04:46:02 PM »

Arthur Ernest Watson ALP-New Wales

I agree with my comrade, Mr Dudley, on this, and with monsiggenor... monsenyor... Mr Denn-Oy-Ex.
We should not allow minor quibbles such as this get in the way of building the framework of government and of democracy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »

Mr Denoix rises...

The most pressing issue I believe is our position with regards to a head of state. I believe that as a nation, in the recent past we have suffered from the abuse of constitutional powers. I therefore hold fast the belief that as a nation we should entrust the powers of the head of state to a woman who has never abused this power; to Her Majesty the Queen through her appointed Governor General. As politicians our duty should be to parliament and our aspiration, should we desire to be the Premier, the Prime Minister, the 'first amongst equals.' We should set forward a path towards the establishment of a parliamentary democracy and as a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 09:08:49 PM »

((OOC: Beg pardons, 12 hour car rides with internet death at their ends are not pleasant))

Well, I suppose that has a majority... (he checks his book) The motion passes, I believe.

Okay, so back to the debate about the possession or non-possession of a chaplain for this body... Mr. Day-nwa, Mr. Dudley, Mr. Watson, would any of you like to make a motion to close debate on this chaplaincy thingy?

((OOC: Honestly, he'll continue on this bent for as long as you let him))
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 09:09:47 PM »

Yes
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 06:20:53 AM »

Oui
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

Aye

S.A. Khan
SDP-Le Grand
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

Mr Denoix rises...

The most pressing issue I believe is our position with regards to a head of state. I believe that as a nation, in the recent past we have suffered from the abuse of constitutional powers. I therefore hold fast the belief that as a nation we should entrust the powers of the head of state to a woman who has never abused this power; to Her Majesty the Queen through her appointed Governor General. As politicians our duty should be to parliament and our aspiration, should we desire to be the Premier, the Prime Minister, the 'first amongst equals.' We should set forward a path towards the establishment of a parliamentary democracy and as a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Denoix. I believe that a monarchy is both undemocratic and a waste of the treasury's precious money. Instead, I propose that the Speaker of Parliament become the honorary, apolitical head of state, only voting to break ties. I also propose that the number of MPs be raised to 51 to accommodate this. The head of government should be a separate Prime Minister, holding party membership. This would allow an unbiased, but democratically elected head of state.

I propose that we should join the Commonwealth as a republic, as well as La Francophonie and the Community of Portuguese Language Countries. I believe that this arrangement would be acceptable to the vast majority of the population.

S.A. Khan
SDP-Le Grand
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 09:04:30 PM »

Mr Hordern rises...

Mr. Khan, our Francophone population has a long history on this fair isle.  They form the majority in three of our eleven provinces and over a quarter of the population in two more.  French is an official language of this land. Those are more than sufficient reasons for our country to join La Francophonie.

In contrast, Portuguese is but a recent arrival on these shores, and in no province is it the mother tongue of even a sixth of the population, so widely did the refugees from Portugal's failed colonies settle here.  Also, while La Francophonie includes many countries where the French flag was never planted, but there exists an appreciation of French culture and language, the same cannot be said of the CPLC.  Portuguese is not an official language and if we should make the mistake of adding a third official language to complicate our governmental affairs, I would rather see it be Hindi than Portuguese given the Indian history and majority in LeGran.  In short, I shall oppose any effort to have this country seek entry into the CPLC.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 09:47:07 PM »

Mr. Hordern, after giving thought of the issue, I believe that Antillia should become an observer state of the CPLC. However, if the other delegates disapprove, I can withdraw this suggestion.

S.A. Khan
SDP-Le Grand
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 11:28:59 PM »

Now, I have some questions regarding human rights:

• Do you believe there should be a right to bear arms?
  • Do you believe there should be a right to vote?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2007, 06:27:25 AM »

A.E.Watson, ALP-New Wales

I am, and have always been, a Republican in sentiment. Monarchy is an archaic institution, a relic of Mediaeval times, and one that should, ideally, have no place in a new democracy.

But I am even more opposed to the idea of placing great power in the hands on one man; mon... sen... yoor... Denn-oyx may be wrong to call for a Monarchy, but on this point, this crucial point, he is entirely correct. To have a powerful President would just prove that this island has not learned the lessons of its own history.

A such, while my own personal preference is for a Republic with a figurehead President, I would actually prefer Monarchy to a powerful Presidency.

On the issue of formal relations between our island and other nations, I believe that it would be appropriate for us to join the Commonwealth of Nations and also La Frankoffanny. But not some Portoogeez body. As many of you know, the Labour Movement was opposed to allowing thousands of Portoogeez fascists to settle here decades ago, we may have been banned and underground but we still got our message across. While it would be inhuman to deport these people back to wherever it was they originally came from, it would be wrong to celebrate their arrival and presence here in such a way.
I would rather celebrate our large Indian community instead.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »

Vijay Prabhusanjil, SDP-Reginia

I echo strongly the many of the views presented by the previous speaker, Mr. Watson. Despite our many differences, we have one united island of significant diversity; and that diversity essentialises the end to all talk of monarchy, particularly foreign monarchy, on our island.

I have spent much time in the United Kingdom, and I recognise the role the monarchy plays there is uniting rather than dividing the people under a figurehead. I strongly support the same role for the Head of State of Antillia-but an Antillian Head of State should be just that-Antillian. A parliamentary republic is the system that most clearly and least divisively leads to a governmental structure of fairness to all the many diverse groups; inheriting the parliamentary system from the United Kingdom is no bad thing. Inheriting their monarch stifles our democracy and diminshes the rights of non-British ethnic Antillians for their leader to reflect them.

A strong, representative parliament in a Commonwealth-member republic is the official stance of my party and will remain so in the long term as determined through the party's internal and democratic process.

Thank you.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

William Tudor (ACP-New Wales)

I must concour with Mr. Denoix, allowing Her Majesty the Queen to operate as a "figure" Head of State would prevent the very oppression we have recently eliminated. I must further suggest we apply to be a member of the British Commonwealth, this move does nothing to impede our independence, nothing to favour one ethnicity on our island over another, it would, however, supply us with a vital resource for economic and social recovery. I ask that our members who represent minorities in Antilla to put aside their own racial and social stigmas and accept the fact that recovery in Antilla can not be done alone, and that the British Head of State and membership in the Commonwealth provide the most benefits for recovery.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2007, 06:39:29 PM »

Mr. Khan rises...

In response to Mr. Tudor's statement, I fully agree that we should join the Commonwealth. However, I find his conflating of Commonwealth membership and a monarchy inappropriate. Since India and Pakistan joined the Commonwealth decades ago, many republics have followed them in Commonwealth membership. I feel that, as Mr. Prabhusanjil and Mr. Watson have already so eloquently pointed out, the Antillian Head of State should be Antillian, and elected. I therefore resubmit my proposal as to the head of state:

I propose that the Speaker of Parliament become the honorary, apolitical head of state, only voting to break ties. I also propose that the number of MPs be raised to 51 to accommodate this. The head of government should be a separate Prime Minister, holding party membership. This would allow an unbiased, but democratically elected head of state.

S.A. Khan
SDP-Le Gran
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies