Do you believe in global warming?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:31:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you believe in global warming?
Yes, I agree with the scientific consensus

Yes, although man's responsibility is exaggerated

Yes, but man is not responsible at all

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Do you believe in global warming?  (Read 3544 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:38:51 AM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:46:53 AM »

"Yes, I agree with the scientific consensus"

I am not qualified to make my own opinions, so I defer to the people who are, and they overwhelmingly say that it's real and caused by humans.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:12 AM »

You're qualified to examine their arguments and see if they make sense.  Do you know what the assertions are that they make and the evidence that they present to support these assertions?  Good, then you have all you need to actually think for yourself.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:08:53 AM »

Is a musician qualified to come to his own conclusion about the Iraq war?  Is a mechanic qualified to come to his own conclusions on the correctness of religion?
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:04:02 AM »

Yes, I agree with the scientific consensus.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:59:28 AM »

So no answer is correct. I am though very skeptical about the whole Global warming movement.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »

"Yes, I agree with the scientific consensus" - what consensus would that be? I'd say there's a consensus that the Earth is undergoing some warming and perhaps even a consensus that humans are involved in it, but as far as I know there is no consensus on how much of the warming is due to human activity or what the exact effects of the warming will be. Climatology is an extremely complex science and there's much we still don't know.

I suppose option 2 is closest to my opinion.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:19:08 AM »

Option 1
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »

"Yes, I agree with the scientific consensus" - what consensus would that be? I'd say there's a consensus that the Earth is undergoing some warming and perhaps even a consensus that humans are involved in it, but as far as I know there is no consensus on how much of the warming is due to human activity
Do you want an exact percentage? Does it really matter whether it's 75% or 90%? That seems to be the approximate range we're talking here.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oh yes, we're very much in agreement on that part. But then, accepting this is part of the scientific consensus.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »

"Yes, I agree with the scientific consensus" - what consensus would that be? I'd say there's a consensus that the Earth is undergoing some warming and perhaps even a consensus that humans are involved in it, but as far as I know there is no consensus on how much of the warming is due to human activity
Do you want an exact percentage? Does it really matter whether it's 75% or 90%? That seems to be the approximate range we're talking here.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oh yes, we're very much in agreement on that part. But then, accepting this is part of the scientific consensus.

An exact percentage would be nice, but we won't get it anytime soon. But as I said, we really don't have a real consensus on how much of the warming is caused by humans as far as I'm concerned, so I object to the notion that there is one. However, I don't object to people having opinions that differ to mine on the particulars of global warming, as such debate is good for scientific and social progress.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »

You're qualified to examine their arguments and see if they make sense.  Do you know what the assertions are that they make and the evidence that they present to support these assertions?  Good, then you have all you need to actually think for yourself.
Of course I can look at the arguments, but since I'm not a climatologist, I am not qualified to draw conclusions from them.  I have not been educated in climatology, so any conclusion I drew would be an ignorant one.  I will defer to scientists who do know what they're talking about, though.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 08:38:32 PM »

Put me in the undecided category.
My reasons are as follows:
1) While there are many scientists who say warming is real and caused by us there are also many (about 60) prominent climate scientists who disagree.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=3711460e-bd5a-475d-a6be-4db87559d605

2) Most of the scientists who disagree would have said that they agree there is warming but they don't agree that it is due to us. But now even the assertion that earth is getting warmer is brought into question. While it was previously thought that 1998 was the warmest year in recorded US history, it now turns out that the warmest year was 1934. http://www.norcalblogs.com/watts/2007/08/1998_no_longer_the_hottest_yea.html

Further it now seems that the weather stations may not meet adequate controls to assure accurate data and may be significantly influenced by development that has occurred around them. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58767

3) Al Gore's PowerPoint presentation shows Earth's temperature and CO2 levels apparently moving in unison. That certainly suggests a correlation but does not prove cause and effect. The problem is that the warming generally occurs 2 -8 centuries before the CO2 rises. In the cooling phases following the interglaciel warming period cooling occurs several thousand years before the CO2 levels fall. This fact is noted in the Vostok ice core data. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/vostokco2.html

I can't say that the anthropogenic warming theory is incorrect, but in my estimation there are serious holes in the theory that should be resolved before we we embark on a multi-billion dollar project that will affect the way we live.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »

Option 3

And wonderful job misleading people with the options.  Just because some loud mouths scientists come up with a theory doesn't make a consensus, similar to the belief that is spread that most scientists are atheists with no belief in a higher power, which is actually quite contrary to what is the truth.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »

Option 3

And wonderful job misleading people with the options.  Just because some loud mouths scientists come up with a theory doesn't make a consensus, similar to the belief that is spread that most scientists are atheists with no belief in a higher power, which is actually quite contrary to what is the truth.

scientists are disproportionately atheist/secular/agnostic in relation to the general population.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »

I lean Option I.  Personally, I believe combating global warming should be a secondary goal under the overall quest of weening our economy off of fossil fuels.  If global warming turns out to have been true, we will have accomplished it and also achieved a general economically positive outcome for the world and our nation.  On the other hand, if the global warming theory is false then we have not taken any hasty decisions like arbitrary caps on carbon that would quash economic growth.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 10:20:48 PM »

I believe that global warming is real... As far as its man made effects, I really can't say, although I believe we are at least partially to blame.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 12:27:29 AM »

Option 1.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 02:29:26 AM »

The warming's effect and the human role are exagerrated.

Both exist, however.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 02:55:27 AM »

So no answer is correct. I am though very skeptical about the whole Global warming movement.

I agree with this.

And no, I don't think Al Gore has some agenda for world domination... he's just dumbing it down for the masses to the point where it is no longer correct and it becomes very misleading.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 05:17:26 AM »

Is a musician qualified to come to his own conclusion about the Iraq war?  Is a mechanic qualified to come to his own conclusions on the correctness of religion?

For once, I'm with Harry. This is a reasonably complex scientific issue. It would be preposterous to claim that my opinion on it is as valid as someone who has devoted years of study to the isssue. And I would say that many musicians are not really qualified to draw conclusions about the Iraq war, nor the mechanic on religion. People's belief that they can create their own truth without paying any heed to others is a great problem in many areas.
jesmo

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »

Who voted No?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »

Option 1 (Normal).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »

Fiction as explained by the Global warming fear mongers.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 06:01:10 PM »

Option 1
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies