NJ-07: Mike Ferguson (R) will not seek re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-07: Mike Ferguson (R) will not seek re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NJ-07: Mike Ferguson (R) will not seek re-election  (Read 8247 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »

Holy hell, now this is a surprise—Mike Ferguson is calling it quits.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:47:24 PM »

Someone was recently saying that announcements should be made only in cases where Republican congressman are running for re-election. The rest may be presumed to be retiring. I wholeheartedly agree.

How did Kean do in this seat in the Senate race? I assume he won it, but by how much?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »

It's sad that Kean would probably be our best candidate to hold the seat.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »

Since this is my (former) home district, I'm very familiar with it.

I'd say that right now, Tom Kean Jr. is the early frontrunner for the general, should he decide to run—his GE performance would be just as good as Ferguson's or better.  State Sen. Leonard Lance, who ran in the '96 GOP Primary for NJ-12 when Dick Zimmer ran for U.S. Senate, is another possible candidate.  I think Assemblyman Mike Doherty is in Scott Garrett's district (thank God).

Complicating the math is that Tom Kean Jr. just took the post of Senate Minority Leader, and may be loathe to leave the body now that he's gained a position of some importance.  Outgoing Minority Leader Leonard Lance may be especially interested in the race, unless Codey is serious about making him head up Appropriations.  This district is loaded to the hilt with GOP office holders in both the State Assembly and State Senate, so I'd anticipate a rather competitive primary here.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »

"I am announcing today that I will not be a candidate for re-election to Congress in 2008. I deeply appreciate the privilege the people of the 7th District have given me during the past seven years, and it has been my honor to represent them and our country.

"My wife, Maureen, and I have four children, the oldest of whom is 9 years old. Since first being elected in 2000, I have strived to balance my responsibilities to my family and to my constituents. I am indebted to Maureen, whose love, selflessness and patience allow me to meet my obligations to my constituents - from votes in Congress that extend past midnight to multiple trips each week between Washington and New Jersey and back again. Being a representative in Congress is more meaningful than I had imagined, and I know that now is the right time to step away from public life to focus more on family life while our children are still young.

Someone was recently saying that announcements should be made only in cases where Republican congressman are running for re-election. The rest may be presumed to be retiring. I wholeheartedly agree.

How did Kean do in this seat in the Senate race? I assume he won it, but by how much?

I can look up the numbers when I get home, but yeah, Kean did carry the Seventh.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »

Um,  am I allowed to post a whole article if I provide the link and it's more or less just a mass quotation of a Ferguson press release?  If not, I'll edit some of this out of the post.

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071119/FRONT01/71119020

Rep. Mike Ferguson (R-New Providence) announced today that he will not seek re-election.

Ferguson issued the following statement via e-mail this morning about his decision:

"I am announcing today that I will not be a candidate for re-election to Congress in 2008. I deeply appreciate the privilege the people of the 7th District have given me during the past seven years, and it has been my honor to represent them and our country.

“My wife, Maureen, and I have four children, the oldest of whom is 9 years old. Since first being elected in 2000, I have strived to balance my responsibilities to my family and to my constituents. I am indebted to Maureen, whose love, selflessness and patience allow me to meet my obligations to my constituents – from votes in Congress that extend past midnight to multiple trips each week between Washington and New Jersey and back again. Being a representative in Congress is more meaningful than I had imagined, and I know that now is the right time to step away from public life to focus more on family life while our children are still young.

“Before being elected to Congress, I taught high school and college, and I earned a master’s degree in education policy. As I explore other opportunities, I hope to include some time in the classroom to share with students my passion for public service and encourage them to serve others and our country.

“I am proud of the many issues and accomplishments of which I have been a part during my four terms in Congress: from writing the Lifespan Respite Care law in 2006 to advocating successfully for tax relief, affordable prescription drugs and funding for first responders.

“Maureen and I were humbled to offer comfort to those 81 families in the 7th District who lost loved ones in the attacks of September 11, 2001, and I am honored to work with some of those same families who founded MyGoodDeed.org to turn the anniversary of that terrible day into a day of service to others.

“I am particularly proud to have worked on behalf of those New Jerseyans who have served our country – and for the members of our Armed Forces who this very day sacrifice to protect our nation. From securing overdue service medals to ensuring veterans receive the health care they deserve, the cause of our brave men and women in uniform is a critical part of my daily work – and central in my prayers.

“Perhaps closest to my heart, I have worked to be a voice for our country’s children: I have visited countless schools throughout the 7th District and talked with students about how government affects them and how they can affect government; I have championed special education and children’s health care, and fought for tougher laws to combat Internet predators and unsafe imported toys. And I have consistently stood up for our most vulnerable children, those who have yet to be born.

“I am a proud Republican, but I have also worked across party lines to bring people together and achieve results. I am grateful for the friendships, both personal and professional, that I have developed among both Republicans and Democrats in New Jersey and Washington.

“After winning re-election in an extraordinarily challenging year for Republicans in 2006 and then witnessing the impressive gains Republicans made in the 7th District just this month, I am confident that Republicans will nominate a candidate who will continue to reflect the mainstream values of voters in the district and be elected as our next representative in 2008.

“I will energetically serve the balance of this my fourth term in the House. I have long said that public service is an important and meaningful calling, and I still deeply believe that it is. I will always be grateful for and appreciative of my congressional staff, each of whom shares my belief in public service and has helped me to ensure that every constituent in the 7th District receives the service and attention they deserve.

“Finally, for those who, beginning years ago, walked through the snow to deliver a yard sign to a neighbor, or addressed endless envelopes, or cold-called people you didn’t know to talk about my campaign for Congress – I am humbled by your commitment, your sacrifice and your passion. Without you, none of this would have been possible.

“From the bottom of my heart, I am thankful to God, and to my family, friends and supporters who have been instrumental in making these years of service both possible and fruitful.”
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »

Really?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »

Yes, really.

I noticed that Mr. Moderate has a thread for this in the Governor's board above, and he beat me to this by 20 minutes.  Should I delete?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:26:15 PM »

Yes, really.

I noticed that Mr. Moderate has a thread for this in the Governor's board above, and he beat me to this by 20 minutes.  Should I delete?

Yeah, I screwed up and put it in the wrong place.  Hopefully, one of the mods will be kind enough as to move it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 01:58:36 PM »

The wrong Republicans seem to be retiring but it is hardly surprising, however, that many 'moderate' Republicans, like Ferguson. are calling it a day

In fact, collectively, New Jersey's GOP delegation is easily among the better ones in the House

Dave
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 02:20:30 PM »

The wrong Republicans seem to be retiring but it is hardly surprising, however, that many 'moderate' Republicans, like Ferguson. are calling it a day

In fact, collectively, New Jersey's GOP delegation is easily among the better ones in the House

Dave

Considering that Ferguson is one of the youngest members of the House of Representatives in general (at 37) makes this very surprising indeed.  The guy already had a massive warchest built up for a 2008 run.

Ferguson was the conservative choice to replace Bob Franks in 2000.  Like Saxton, he'll likely be replaced with a Republican somewhat to his left.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »

Thanks for placing this in the correct forum..  Smiley

I basically agree with whatever Moderate's saying.  I'll save my acerbic commentary for places like New Mexico.  Smiley
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »

This is going to be a particularly exciting year in NJ. Even though I would like to have the democrats win the open seats, the GOP can use these seats to rebrand itself. Kean, Lance, and Allen are all good candidates.

Conan
conan

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 03:10:07 PM »

http://politickernj.com/quick-glance-some-numbers-7th-14127

http://politickernj.com/linda-stenders-statement-mike-fergusons-retirement-14126

http://politickernj.com/lance-says-hell-consider-running-congress-14125

http://politickernj.com/millionaire-caspersen-mulls-bid-ferguson-seat-14122

Just go here for all the news, there's a trove:
http://politickernj.com/
Conan
conan

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 03:14:12 PM »

Assemblyman Jon Bramnick will decide tomorrow morning whether to run and...

http://politickernj.com/bramnick-its-hard-pass-opportunity-14115
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »

Good news for the GOP.

As surprising as this is, it's easy to see why, Ferguson has just figured it's not worth it to go through tough reelection battles he simply isn't set out to fight in order to be an insignificant and unimportant member of the minority party.
Conan
conan

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 04:27:59 PM »

Good news for the GOP.

As surprising as this is, it's easy to see why, Ferguson has just figured it's not worth it to go through tough reelection battles he simply isn't set out to fight in order to be an insignificant and unimportant member of the minority party.
Depending on who the republicans nominate, this is actually better for the GOP's chances to hold onto the seat.
Conan
conan

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »

http://politickernj.com/kean-wont-run-congress-bramnick-emerging-leading-candidate-ferguson-seat-14140

Good news for the dems and probably the dumbest move ever by Kean.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 05:26:34 PM »

I can't blame Kean.  This would be a step down for him—a consolation prize after losing a statewide race.

Bramnick is a great candidate.  Very charismatic and widely considered a "rising star."  (And this is a much more reasonable jump than running for U.S. Senate.)  Still, I'd much rather see Leonard Lance in the Congress.  It'd set up a very interesting primary race (a la 2000) with geographically regionalized candidates.
Conan
conan

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 05:48:42 PM »

Good news for the GOP.

Depending on who the republicans nominate, this is actually better for the GOP's chances to hold onto the seat.
Stu Rothenberg agrees with me,

http://politickernj.com/rothenberg-another-headache-republicans-14146
Conan
conan

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 05:49:24 PM »

I can't blame Kean.  This would be a step down for him—a consolation prize after losing a statewide race.

Bramnick is a great candidate.  Very charismatic and widely considered a "rising star."  (And this is a much more reasonable jump than running for U.S. Senate.)  Still, I'd much rather see Leonard Lance in the Congress.  It'd set up a very interesting primary race (a la 2000) with geographically regionalized candidates.
I also like Lance. He deserves it more than Bramnick.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2007, 07:17:01 PM by Mr. Moderate »

Franks is apparently not ruling out a run.

"My phone has been ringing incessantly. My Blackberry has filled up with emails,” Franks told PolitickerNJ.com. “I don't have anything to say at this moment, and I will be talking to some friends."

And yes, there is universal consensus that Republicans might have a better chance to hold the seat now that Ferguson's out of the picture, provided they don't screw the primary up.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 07:00:49 PM »

I knew he was getting up in years.  Just like Jimmy Eat World.
Conan
conan

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 09:10:30 PM »

"My phone has been ringing incessantly. My Blackberry has filled up with emails,” Franks told PolitickerNJ.com. “I don't have anything to say at this moment, and I will be talking to some friends."

And yes, there is universal consensus that Republicans might have a better chance to hold the seat now that Ferguson's out of the picture, provided they don't screw the primary up.
Why do you proclaim universal concensus? Did you call up some old contacts from your political reporting days?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 10:57:21 PM »

Why do you proclaim universal concensus? Did you call up some old contacts from your political reporting days?

And here I was getting worried that we'd go the entire thread without you mentioning my political reporting days!~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies