Should Straha return without mod review?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:54:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should Straha return without mod review?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should Straha return without mod review?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Should Straha return without mod review?  (Read 2549 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 12:24:35 PM »

Quite frankly I think Straha is a case in point for why it's important to nip idiots who add nothing whatsoever in the bud.  If you eject them early enough, they won't have developed a cult following of those who enjoy seeing everyone else get annoyed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Two fascists in a pod.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »

I continue to be mildly amused at the failure of you lot to get outraged about Stark's punishment (which happens to be exactly the same as Straha's). Hypocrisy is fun, no?

The two weren't comparable at all. Straha said some odd things, but that's what was amusing about him. He actually did occasionally contribute valid things to discussions.

Whereareas Stark was a total troll with no redeeming value. About half of his posts were just quoting someone else's (or his own), and the rest were just little snips about he wanted to deport illegals/hated Eliot Spitzer/Ravings about the Illuminati and Rothschilds/Liked Lou Dobbs. Then his habit of bumping countless old threads without adding anything substantial to them. Stark actually made the forum more frustrating, while Straha just added a bit of surrealness.

Correct and a little surrealness can be a lot of fun.

You forgot Stark's obsession with Al Goldstein though.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »

I think this just goes to show that many of the people and many of the moderators on this forum let personal opinion guide their actions regarding "punishment".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »

if he did spam and continued to do so after being askednot to, I say keep him on moderation for a little while to see if he behaves himself and stops spamming

Tried that twice (possibly even thrice), and it had no effect whatsoever.  Hence; this action.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »

I continue to be mildly amused at the failure of you lot to get outraged about Stark's punishment (which happens to be exactly the same as Straha's). Hypocrisy is fun, no?

What made you assume that everyone here knew that Stark had got the same punishment? I certainly didn't know that and I don't support that either.

I made the, apparently incorrect, assumption that a) you can read and b) that you can put two and two together. I've been hinting at Stark's punishment since you lot starting complaining about Straha's. In threads that you lot started on the subject.

And I continue to note the lack of outrage.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 03:57:16 PM »

Quite frankly I think Straha is a case in point for why it's important to nip idiots who add nothing whatsoever in the bud.  If you eject them early enough, they won't have developed a cult following of those who enjoy seeing everyone else get annoyed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. Had Straha been banned within a month of arriving, at which point it was already clear that he was not providing anything of value and had no intent of changing, we wouldn't have this "Humble Men" nonsense. Same with Stark, really; he wouldn't have become the forum parody that apparently everything has to relate to now.

I find it rather hard to fathom how the mods are so lenient that Straha ran around for 23 months before this happened.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 04:04:52 PM »

We were calling for a ban around 100 posts for Straha.  Dave just wanted to give him (and Stark) a few chances beforehand.  Honestly, I think he was more than generous.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 04:10:40 PM »

I find it rather hard to fathom how the mods are so lenient that Straha ran around for 23 months before this happened.

Believe me, it isn't the mods who were lenient.  We've been unanimously (among those who actually took part in the discussion) been pushing for his ban for a long time.  Dave has his reasons for leniency when dealing with trolls, but by no means can you accuse us of the same.

(Please note that I'm not being aggressively defensive here. Smiley )
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 04:41:44 PM »

What made you assume that everyone here knew that Stark had got the same punishment? I certainly didn't know that and I don't support that either.

I made the, apparently incorrect, assumption that a) you can read and b) that you can put two and two together. I've been hinting at Stark's punishment since you lot starting complaining about Straha's. In threads that you lot started on the subject.

And I continue to note the lack of outrage.

Why would I care to figure out what you were "hinting" at? I try to avoid your posts as much as possible without using the fascist ignore button.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 04:44:54 PM »

Straha started out as a pretty bad troll but he improved later and was actually a pretty decent poster now.

Stark wasn't banned or had any calls for it early on because he wasn't so bad back then, he was a little odd, but he didn't go totally insane until about a month and a half ago.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »

Straha started out as a pretty bad troll but he improved later and was actually a pretty decent poster now.

... In your opinion.  The volume of reported posts didn't seem to reduce, or show any sign of doing so.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »

Stark wasn't banned or had any calls for it early on because he wasn't so bad back then, he was a little odd, but he didn't go totally insane until about a month and a half ago.

Yes, as has been said on here several times, it isn't fair to compare Straha to Stark (even though I don't favor such a strict this punishment for Stark either). All Straha did was be himself. He didn't bump old threads just to quote things he said a year ago or delete his posts to intentionally ruin threads.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 04:53:35 PM »

Straha served as that kind of background chatter one expects to hear upon entering a public place. Nothing really exciting, but there seems to be a strange void left upon his removal.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 07:40:24 PM »

Dave has his reasons for leniency when dealing with trolls

I would be interested in hearing what those are. Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »

This mod was far from lenient when it came to Straha or Stark. 

If you don't bother to take out the garbage, it'll stink up the whole house...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »

Dave has his reasons for leniency when dealing with trolls

I would be interested in hearing what those are. Tongue

I think it's just that he doesn't like to ban people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies