2008: Mike Huckabee (R) vs. Barack Obama (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:46:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008: Mike Huckabee (R) vs. Barack Obama (D)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?/Who would win?
Huckabee/Huckabee

Obama/Obama

Huckabee/Obama

Obama/Huckabee

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: 2008: Mike Huckabee (R) vs. Barack Obama (D)  (Read 2957 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 05:39:25 PM »

There is still nothing fundamentally appealing, issue-wise, about Huckabee to the majority of voters in New Hampshire and Washington. Regardless of how he spins his anti-science views, short of a landslide, he's not taking Washington or New Hampshire.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 05:40:12 PM »

His supporters confirm something is his biggest advantage, he is the most down to Earth to candidate.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 05:51:19 PM »

There is still nothing fundamentally appealing, issue-wise, about Huckabee to the majority of voters in New Hampshire and Washington. Regardless of how he spins his anti-science views, short of a landslide, he's not taking Washington or New Hampshire.

He obviously won't win either of those states (but he doesn't need to). The problem with Huckabee is that the Democrats can't really indirectly attack his religious views. Were they to do so, all it'd do is spur evangelical turnout across the nation and turn the election in 2004 redux.

The Democrats need to ensure that the evangelical electorate remains discontent with the GOP. Huckabee is a candidate that can bring back the evangelical vote, which is why I fear him.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 04:29:03 AM »

This prediction may seem unrealistic to some at the moment, but in a Huckabee/Obama contest it does not seem unreasonable to predict Huckabee with 291 Electoral Votes to Obama's 247 Electoral Votes...

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 09:54:22 AM »

He obviously won't win either of those states (but he doesn't need to). The problem with Huckabee is that the Democrats can't really indirectly attack his religious views. Were they to do so, all it'd do is spur evangelical turnout across the nation and turn the election in 2004 redux.

The Democrats need to ensure that the evangelical electorate remains discontent with the GOP. Huckabee is a candidate that can bring back the evangelical vote, which is why I fear him.

Unfortunately, the Democrats have something bigger to worry about, and that is the leftist groups that can run ads against him, and they probably would take a religions angle on him.  That would require the Democrats to either distance themselves from the groups and lose support, embrace the group and lose the religious support, or ignore the group and lose all support.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 03:47:28 PM »

In a Huckabee vs. Obama matchup, IŽd expect Obama to be the initial favorite after Supertuesday, with polls showing him ahead of Huckabee by more or less than 10% until Mid-2008, basically status-quo for another 7-8 months. Obama would outraise Huckabee by about 2-1, also the same pattern we have seen so far from the Party Committees and adjusted Bush-Kerry figures. By September 2008 I would expect Huckabee to close the gap with Obama in states like Missouri, Ohio, Virginia and elsewhere, but if current trends continue, I see no reason why Obama shouldnŽt win all the Kerry-states + Iowa and New Mexico, as well as Colorado maybe, where Obama is polling well right now. That would result in a 273 EV Obama victory on Election Day, while the South, including Florida, would remain mostly Republican.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »

My point is that Huckabee is not the type of candidate who plays well in Washington or NH.

Huckabee would get crushed in Washington.

SUSA showed Obama leading him by 20.
http://www.surveyusa.com/electionpolls.aspx
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »

Obama landslide.  I don't wanna make a map, seeing all that red would hurt my eyes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 06:15:39 PM »

My point is that Huckabee is not the type of candidate who plays well in Washington or NH.

I'm surprised he is only leading by 20%.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »

very few have heard of Huckabee outside of Arkansas and Iowa
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 01:23:09 AM »

And they will never hear of him if his poor fundraising continues ...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 02:18:16 AM »

Huckabee is a hardcore social conservative.  He doesn't have a chance in hell of beating Obama or anyone else in New Hampshire or  Washington.  Please, think about this logically for a second.  Huckabee fits those two states about as well as Sharpton fits in with a bunch of whites from Mississippi.

What would happen to the already severely damaged GOP in the northeast as a result would be comical.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies