SC PrimR: Rasmussen: Romney and Thompson tied for 1st, Huckabee and Paul rising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  SC PrimR: Rasmussen: Romney and Thompson tied for 1st, Huckabee and Paul rising
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SC PrimR: Rasmussen: Romney and Thompson tied for 1st, Huckabee and Paul rising  (Read 4694 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »

New Poll: South Carolina President by Rasmussen on 2007-11-20

Summary: Giuliani: 13%, McCain: 9%, Romney: 21%, Thompson, F: 21%, Other: 23%, Undecided: 13%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Huckabee: 12%

Paul: 8%
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »

Giuliani's done
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:13:50 PM »

Except about 5 seconds after this primary concludes the primaries for real states will be taking place, and no one is really going to care about what happened in 3 states with a combines EV total of 19.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »

Except about 5 seconds after this primary concludes the primaries for real states will be taking place, and no one is really going to care about what happened in 3 states with a combines EV total of 19.

Soulty, you're much more experienced than this. You know it does matter... otherwise we wouldn't be even bothering.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:16 PM »

Howard Dean would beg to differ.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:28:20 PM »

Giuliani will not be the Republican nominee. He'll come in a distant third behind Romney and Huckabee in Iowa, probably second to Romney in New Hampshire, and at this rate will come in fourth to Romney, Thompson and Huckabee in South Carolina (well, maybe ahead of Thompson, whose voters will switch mostly to Huckabee after Iowa).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:34:03 PM »

Soulty, you're much more experienced than this. You know it does matter... otherwise we wouldn't be even bothering.

I know that is matters traditionally, yes.  But I think that, with the way the primaries are organized this year, and with the fact that so much talking down of the early primaries has happened in the past 6 years, or so.  I would say that most Americans are now openly asking "Why in the Hell does Iowa matter so much?"  Now, its good for the press of the candidate who wins the first three, but only if that candidate wins in a sweep.  Romney is the only one with a chance to do it, and I don't think he will.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 04:45:26 PM »

Not if Huckabee saves him in Iowa...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »

I know that is matters traditionally, yes.  But I think that, with the way the primaries are organized this year, and with the fact that so much talking down of the early primaries has happened in the past 6 years, or so.  I would say that most Americans are now openly asking "Why in the Hell does Iowa matter so much?"  Now, its good for the press of the candidate who wins the first three, but only if that candidate wins in a sweep.  Romney is the only one with a chance to do it, and I don't think he will.

you're entitled to that, certainly, but history doesn't like you.  and if Romney sweeps through IA, NH, MI, SC, and NV, I don't think Giuliani can rally and stop him.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:37:01 PM »

you're entitled to that, certainly, but history doesn't like you.  and if Romney sweeps through IA, NH, MI, SC, and NV, I don't think Giuliani can rally and stop him.

As I said, should he sweep, then I agree, he would win, as would anyone else, but I don't think Romney will and he is the only one who has a chance.  I think he'll be embarassed in Michigan, even more so because he is the son of the former governor, and the "Romney Network" is supposedly still in place.  Michigan proves that Romney's people aren't masters of the expectations game, because they are pumping up his expectations there when he very well could lose.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 02:00:21 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2007, 03:37:47 AM by Smash255 »

True, but if your not even being competitive in the first three thats a big problem.  If Giuliani happened to have one tough state, and despite not winning the other two was at least competitive than maybe he can make up for it later.  However, it looks like if he finished 3rd in Iowa he will be very lucky.  Looks like a 4th place finish there, followed by a 3rd place finish in N.H and a fourth in S.C, being WELL behind in all three states.  You might not need to win the first three states, but you do need at least some momentum from them, and it looks like Rudy will have zero.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 03:01:02 AM »

Thompson's still nothing other than a fad - his support will die down, and Huckabee's will rise.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 11:58:39 AM »

Interesting piece of news from Rasmussen:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lets hope they polled every single state ... Smiley
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 01:45:13 PM »

The concentional wisdom is that a candidate gets on a winning streak and gains the momentum and sweeps to victory.  That is the Romnney battle plan obviously.  He wants to copy what happened with the Kerry experience in '04.

Here's the difference this time.  Democrats suddenly realized in 2004  that Kerry would be a much better candidate than Howard Dean in the general.  Hell, they read the polls showing Dean a sure loser to Bush.  Democrats wanted to beat Bush and happily jumped on board the Kerry express to insure a competitive general election.

Romney doesn't have that "I'm the most electable candidate" thing going for him that Kerry had over Dean.  Quite the opposite.  Republicans can read the polls.  In state after state he is getting clobbered by Hillary.  In my own state for example, he's down 1 to Hillary according to Rasmussen.  This is in Texas for crying out loud.  Same poll has Rudy and McCain up 11.  It's like that in every state.  Look it up.

Republicans aren't going to climb on board with a candidate who guarantees Hillary and Bill are back in the White House.  If you think that, you are completely ignoring Republican feelings about Hillary.  Democrats proved to be pragmatic in 2004 when it came to finding someone they thought could beat their arch enemy Bush.  Republicans will do the same in 2008 when it comes to beating their dreaded enemy, Hillary Clinton.

BTW, they won't turn to Huckabee either, another sure loser.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »

Interesting piece of news from Rasmussen:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lets hope they polled every single state ... Smiley

Why so I can depress myself again?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »

I just hope they polled Obama and Edwards for once.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »

The concentional wisdom is that a candidate gets on a winning streak and gains the momentum and sweeps to victory.  That is the Romnney battle plan obviously.  He wants to copy what happened with the Kerry experience in '04.

Here's the difference this time.  Democrats suddenly realized in 2004  that Kerry would be a much better candidate than Howard Dean in the general.  Hell, they read the polls showing Dean a sure loser to Bush.  Democrats wanted to beat Bush and happily jumped on board the Kerry express to insure a competitive general election.

Romney doesn't have that "I'm the most electable candidate" thing going for him that Kerry had over Dean.  Quite the opposite.  Republicans can read the polls.  In state after state he is getting clobbered by Hillary.  In my own state for example, he's down 1 to Hillary according to Rasmussen.  This is in Texas for crying out loud.  Same poll has Rudy and McCain up 11.  It's like that in every state.  Look it up.

Republicans aren't going to climb on board with a candidate who guarantees Hillary and Bill are back in the White House.  If you think that, you are completely ignoring Republican feelings about Hillary.  Democrats proved to be pragmatic in 2004 when it came to finding someone they thought could beat their arch enemy Bush.  Republicans will do the same in 2008 when it comes to beating their dreaded enemy, Hillary Clinton.

BTW, they won't turn to Huckabee either, another sure loser.

I think there's a lot to what agcatter says. Here in IL the GOP base seems to only agree on one thing - how much they dislike the idea of Pres. HRC. The schedule creates an opportunity for the candidates who poll well against HRC to let the field shrink going into the big states. That sets up a smaller field in February where the case can be made to consider electability.

Giuliani is organizing here in IL in a big way as he is in the other large states with 2/5 primaries. McCain is also quite active here, but Romney has had a smaller presence. Thompson still has a following with conservatives, but that's faded in the last few weeks, and it's not clear where they will go.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »

Also I forgot to mention: Go Ron Paul!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 04:33:19 AM »

ron paul keeps leaving me voicemail each week. i am sick of him.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »

ron paul keeps leaving me voicemail each week. i am sick of him.

Really?  Thanksgiving was the first time my dad didn't complain that Fred Thompson called.  And I got home from college and had letters from good old Fred (and I'm a Romney/Huckabee(/Tancredo/Paul) Guy).
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 04:54:18 PM »

Hold on a second. That actor is still in the race?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 04:59:42 PM »

The Paul thing is getting a little out of control. You can't walk into the mall without these people coming at you now.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »

ron paul is the only candidate the college republicans support here at UNC. none of them support giuliani, one for romney, and none for mccain. its insane and i dont understand it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 11:28:31 PM »

The Paul thing is getting a little out of control. You can't walk into the mall without these people coming at you now.

I think it's sort of like experiencing Eugene McCarthy's supporters in 1968, only in miniature. Deranged, running against the establishment, and with no hope at all of winning.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 03:37:05 AM »

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it now.

People here are too influenced by 2004. The nomination isn't always decided by the first states. The fact that every winner except Clinton has won one of the early states is misleading, because in many of these cases the race went on for a long time afterwards.

For instance, Carter won both Iowa and New Hampshire in 1976 but still had to fight for the nomination all the way to the end. Ford in the same year also won both but had an extremely close battle with Reagan into the actual convention. When you have a situation where one candidate is extremely strong in all the later states and they're coming in one big shebang closely after the other states things may be different. While I'm the first to agree that Guliani has a problem in being so weak in the early states I think calling him done because of it is overdoing it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies