Chief Justice Confirmation Hearing: Bullmoose88 [Confirmed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Chief Justice Confirmation Hearing: Bullmoose88 [Confirmed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chief Justice Confirmation Hearing: Bullmoose88 [Confirmed]  (Read 2483 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2007, 08:59:05 PM »
« edited: November 27, 2007, 12:40:25 PM by Verily »

As the President has nominated Bullmoose88 to serve as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Atlasia, this Senate hearing is convened hereby to consider the nomination.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »

You may also want to open the hearing on Ernest as Associate Justice. Wink
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2007, 09:26:04 PM by Verily »

You may also want to open the hearing on Ernest as Associate Justice. Wink

There's no opening yet, is there? My impression is that we have to do them sequentially as there is not currently an opening (given the remote possibility that Bullmoose could be rejected by the Senate), though I would gladly do them simultaneously if that is not the case.

Also, Bullmoose (and Ernest) has my full and complete support.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:27:34 PM »

I plan on voting for the confirmation of Bullmoose. He seems well versed in our laws.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 12:28:59 AM »

Though intent to spoil my budgetary fun, I'll gladly vote to confirm.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 01:13:51 AM »

Watching the Activity of Bullmoose for more than 2 years now, I can safely say he would make a great judge due to his strong commitment and understanding of Atlasia. I have no questions for now, but will listen in and chime in when necessary. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »

1. You recently voted against ratification of the Public Interest Amendment.  May I ask whether you feel that the powers granted by the amendment are already justified in the Constitution, or are you opposed to any extension of Senate legislative power whatsoever?  In particular, do you feel that environmental regulations and a universal health care system would be outside the realm of the federal government?  Do you feel that a federal law restricting the use of asbestos would be unconstitutional without the Public Interest Amendment, as some have argued?
2. How would you have ruled in the Atlasia vs. Jesus trial?
3. How will your admittedly libertarian political philosophy influence your rulings in Court?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 07:32:34 AM »

Could a senator ask this question for me:

How would you have ruled in Joe Republic v. Sen. DownWithTheLeft
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 11:58:20 AM »

Justice Bullmoose,

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »

Bullmoose naturally has my support.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 01:01:25 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2007, 01:18:51 AM by bullmoose88 »

I thank the senator for his questions, forgive me as its thanksgiving, i'll try to give the best answers I can and I can follow up if anyone needs clarification.

1. You recently voted against ratification of the Public Interest Amendment.  May I ask whether you feel that the powers granted by the amendment are already justified in the Constitution, or are you opposed to any extension of Senate legislative power whatsoever?  In particular, do you feel that environmental regulations and a universal health care system would be outside the realm of the federal government?  Do you feel that a federal law restricting the use of asbestos would be unconstitutional without the Public Interest Amendment, as some have argued?

Admittedly, senator, I voted against the amendment in my capacity as a private citizen (voting based on public policy and ideological reasons).  As far as the court is concerned, I am much more interested in reaching the right/correct legal result than I am in the preferred ideological one.

I guess my concern with the amendment is that I am concerned about the broad nature, especially from my ideological perspective, in which it is constructed.  While the aims behind the amendment could be quite benign and intent to benefit atlasia and its citizens, the amendment could be applied to so many situations beyond the calculations of the senators or citizens voting in favor it it.  Given my expectation that the people would ratify it, I just wished to register my desire for caution in some way.

That said, I can see why the proponents of the amendment pushed for its enactment.  Atlasia lacks (perhaps lacks isn't the right word) a commerce clause reaching as far as its American component.

For comparison

Atlasia: (From Art 1, Sec 5)
You must be logged in to read this quote.

US

It does not mean that in the absence of the proposed amendment that any of the above listed regulations or policy ideas are per se unconstitutional, but their footing is far more tenuous.  In my view, someone would have to make an argument that an environmental regulation or health care plan violates the constitution (as moving party carries the burden here). While those aforementioned policy plans have less grounding without the amendment, it is my reading of the rest of Art I, Sec 5, that the constitution at least gives some room for economic, environmental, and health regulation.  To what extent may only be elucidated through legal inquiry.

While I find Jesus a very amusing and friendly poster, I was offended by what I felt he did to Dazzleman's wiki profile.  In the interest of disclosure, I still communicate with Dazzleman privately and consider him a friend, as forummers go.  I understand that many others do not share this opinion of him.  Reasonable minds can differ (as long as their objections are based in reason).

Initially, I felt Jesus may have committed a fairly serious crime, as Atlasia is concerned...however as the case and evidence developed...I realized, that as far as the statute goes, little could or should be done.

And perhaps Jesus' action actually did a service to Atlasia, in reminding us that when we draft criminal statutes (for whatever purpose we need them here, we need element based statutes that take into account, the action, the mental state, the attendant circumstances etc...)

I hope it won't influence my decisions at all. In reality, it may and hopefully the extent it does it minimal.  As I said earlier, I want the correct legal decisions, not the preferential ideological ones.  If I get the best of both worlds, so be it, but in the legal realm...ideology is not a conscious factor.  Indeed, it may influence my reading of the law, but a chief justice is only first among equals and there should be two other people constantly challenging my reading and logic so that collectively, we reach the correct result.

I thank the senator and apologize for my delay.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 01:17:01 AM »

Justice Bullmoose,

If I remember the case correctly, I believe my brief, as attorney general, focused on Joe Republic's lack of standing to sue as Mr. Republic was not at the time in DWTL's district or in anyway affected by DWTL's avatar decisions.  Factual merits of that case aside, I am much more cautious than the court has been in regards to standing.  I personally would like to see some evidence of injury, or some stautory provision granting standing to sue; however, the court in Joe Republic v. Downwiththeleft and a lesser known case MAS v. Bullmoose has been generous in its standing requirements.

I personally would like another chance to review our case law in this regard and at least fine tune it.

I thank the Senator (and DWTL) for his question.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »

There are slightly over 24 hours before this hearing is concluded.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 04:39:36 PM »

My apologies for missing this one yesterday; the hearing is now concluded, and this nomination is now at vote.

Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain on the confirmation of Bullmoose88 as Chief Justice of Atlasia.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »

aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »

Aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 05:04:41 PM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 05:12:33 PM »

Aye
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 05:42:42 PM »

Aye.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 10:31:10 PM »

Aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »

With six votes in favor, Bullmoose88 is confirmed as the new Chief Justice of Atlasia. Congratulations, your honor.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 02:58:10 AM »

Aye FTR
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix