Retirements Push Congressional GOP Even Further to the Right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:51:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Retirements Push Congressional GOP Even Further to the Right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Retirements Push Congressional GOP Even Further to the Right  (Read 1724 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »

Retirements push GOP to the right

By: Josh Kraushaar and Martin Kady II
Nov 19, 2007 07:30 PM EST

The unexpected retirement of Rep. Mike Ferguson (R-N.J.) marks the latest in an exodus of moderate Republicans that is pushing the caucus in a rightward direction and could potentially cripple the party’s chances of winning back seats in swing districts next year.

Of the 17 Republican House members to announce their retirements this year — Ferguson joined the club on Monday — eight have built reputations on Capitol Hill as centrists willing to work with Democrats to get legislation passed. Political observers warn that those are exactly the type of candidates the GOP needs to regain its congressional majority.

“It should be an area of deep concern to Republicans of all stripes. Once you lose the vital center, then you begin to lose the claim that you are the majority party,” said former Rep. Sherwood Boehlert, a moderate Republican who retired in 2006.

He said that in more than four decades in political life, he’s never seen “a higher degree of partisanship or a higher level of intolerance for another point of view.”

Most of the moderates who have decided to leave Congress have won their districts comfortably, even in last year’s Democratic wave. Their reasons for leaving range from wanting to spend more time with family — Ferguson’s explanation — to a simple desire to do something else.

But each also faced a growing ascendancy of conservatives in both the House and Senate GOP caucus as well as a national environment that would seem to favor Democrats.

“It’s not a good time to be a moderate in American politics,” said Rep. Tom Davis (R-Va.). “Ask Joe Lieberman.”

“The money has moved away from the parties, who used to be the enforcement mechanisms, to groups on the extreme right and left, and it’s killing us,” Davis said.

Davis said moderates were increasingly frustrated about their ability to make a difference in the current partisan age. “And they have to fight even harder to hold onto these seats,” he said.

In 2006, moderate House Republicans took the brunt of the Democratic congressional landslide. Former GOP Reps. Nancy Johnson (Conn.), Rob Simmons (Conn.), Gil Gutknecht (Minn.), and Charlie Bass (N.H.) all were ousted by Democratic challengers.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

Retirements push GOP to the right

By: Josh Kraushaar and Martin Kady II
Nov 19, 2007 07:30 PM EST

The unexpected retirement of Rep. Mike Ferguson (R-N.J.) marks the latest in an exodus of moderate Republicans that is pushing the caucus in a rightward direction and could potentially cripple the party’s chances of winning back seats in swing districts next year.

Of the 17 Republican House members to announce their retirements this year — Ferguson joined the club on Monday — eight have built reputations on Capitol Hill as centrists willing to work with Democrats to get legislation passed. Political observers warn that those are exactly the type of candidates the GOP needs to regain its congressional majority.

“It should be an area of deep concern to Republicans of all stripes. Once you lose the vital center, then you begin to lose the claim that you are the majority party,” said former Rep. Sherwood Boehlert, a moderate Republican who retired in 2006.

He said that in more than four decades in political life, he’s never seen “a higher degree of partisanship or a higher level of intolerance for another point of view.”

Most of the moderates who have decided to leave Congress have won their districts comfortably, even in last year’s Democratic wave. Their reasons for leaving range from wanting to spend more time with family — Ferguson’s explanation — to a simple desire to do something else.

But each also faced a growing ascendancy of conservatives in both the House and Senate GOP caucus as well as a national environment that would seem to favor Democrats.

“It’s not a good time to be a moderate in American politics,” said Rep. Tom Davis (R-Va.). “Ask Joe Lieberman.”

“The money has moved away from the parties, who used to be the enforcement mechanisms, to groups on the extreme right and left, and it’s killing us,” Davis said.

Davis said moderates were increasingly frustrated about their ability to make a difference in the current partisan age. “And they have to fight even harder to hold onto these seats,” he said.

In 2006, moderate House Republicans took the brunt of the Democratic congressional landslide. Former GOP Reps. Nancy Johnson (Conn.), Rob Simmons (Conn.), Gil Gutknecht (Minn.), and Charlie Bass (N.H.) all were ousted by Democratic challengers.

Is the Politico trying to supplant the Onion? Mike Ferguson is a moderate? LOLZ.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:07:54 PM »

I would expect there to be more moderate Republican in the house in 2009, not fewer.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »

I would expect there to be more moderate Republican in the house in 2009, not fewer.

Is Diane Allen considered a moderate?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »

Is Diane Allen considered a moderate?

Yes, but one moderate does not a moderate caucus make (though the article seems to be applying a dubiously broad definition of "moderate").
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:42:46 PM »

Explain how you believe this will happen?  Most of the Republicans leaving are moderates. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 11:11:57 PM »

Explain how you believe this will happen?  Most of the Republicans leaving are moderates. 

Answering the question would probably require a lengthy discussion of who is and who isn't a moderate.  For example, being formerly from New Jersey, I don't consider Saxton or Ferguson to be "moderate," per say.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:15:17 PM »

Answering the question would probably require a lengthy discussion of who is and who isn't a moderate.  For example, being formerly from New Jersey, I don't consider Saxton or Ferguson to be "moderate," per say.

Moderate per say not really, moderate in comparison to the vast majority of the Republican Party, yes
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 11:20:18 PM »

ROFL

I've long believed that the Democratic party holds the American center, and as moderate Republicans are replaced by far right loonies, we will only solidify our position as the centrist party.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 02:13:03 AM »

Ferguson is no moderate.

Ahahahahhahahahha! That's the funniest one yet. I know my thankfully ex-Congressman well, and calling him a moderate is downright hysterical.

No mention of Ramstad? Of course whoever replaces him should be a moderate, regardless of party.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 12:36:17 PM »

ROFL

I've long believed that the Democratic party holds the American center, and as moderate Republicans are replaced by far right loonies, we will only solidify our position as the centrist party.

For decades the Democratic Party has been defined by the Tom Haydens and Jane Fondas of the world. The is actually quite amusing because only 52% of Democrats consider themselves LIBERAL. Compare that figure to the 77% of Republicans who say they're conservative.

Despite all the noise emanating  from the far left, the Democrats govern from the Center-Left. Whereas, Republicans try to talk to the middle and govern from the Far-Right.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »

I would consider Jim Ramstad(MN-03) to be a moderate and he is leaving.  Same with Saxton.  The Republican caucus in the House will be far more conservative in 2008.  Just look at their leaders.  John Boehner and Roy Blunt are probably the most right wing people to ever lead the party in either House.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 06:45:28 PM »

ROFL

For decades the Democratic Party has been defined by the Tom Haydens and Jane Fondas of the world. The is actually quite amusing because only 52% of Democrats consider themselves LIBERAL. Compare that figure to the 77% of Republicans who say they're conservative.

Despite all the noise emanating  from the far left, the Democrats govern from the Center-Left. Whereas, Republicans try to talk to the middle and govern from the Far-Right.

^^^^^That's the truest statement I've seen on here in a while
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 11:38:31 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2007, 11:42:58 PM by nclib »

It's somewhat unsettling that the GOP is losing their moderates, since if/when the GOP controls the House again, it will be even more right-wing. Though I suppose if many conservative Republicans were retiring, they'd simply be replaced by new conservative Republicans, since most of them represent conservative districts.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 11:45:37 PM »

It's somewhat unsettling that the GOP is losing their moderates, since if/when the GOP controls the House again, it will be even more right-wing. Though I suppose if many conservative Republicans were retiring, they'd simply be replaced by new conservative Republicans, since most of them represent conservative districts.

On the flip side of it, as the GOP moves further and further to the right, the chances of them regaining Congress drop. 
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 11:54:32 PM »

I don't think either of you hold the center and before you call the Republicans a bunch of loonies I would caution you to not throw stones in a glass house.  As one who is independent of the two party apparatus and therefore not prone to partisanship as you are, I can assure you that both of your houses have your share of crackpots.  Americans overall are frustrated with both parties.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 02:30:15 AM »

I don't think either of you hold the center and before you call the Republicans a bunch of loonies I would caution you to not throw stones in a glass house.  As one who is independent of the two party apparatus and therefore not prone to partisanship as you are, I can assure you that both of your houses have your share of crackpots.  Americans overall are frustrated with both parties.

As Markwarner08 and others have pointed out, for all the obnoxious noise that comes from the left, the democrats are more centerist in their policies than the republicans are. If you compare us to most other industrialized nations, there isn't even really a left in American politics: there are certainly leftist pressure groups, but very few real leftist politicians aside from Dennis Kuicinich, a few members of the Congressional Black Caucus, and a few others.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies