European Boundary Commission
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:02:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Boundary Commission
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: European Boundary Commission  (Read 2990 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:48:45 PM »

Well not really. But I had an idea to divvy up European nations into UK sized constituencies following the same rules and respect to administrative boundaries etc and hopefully drawing up the seats themselves

One of the tricky things is getting hold of detailed figures on the electorate. While skimming through some nations (Luxembourg was my 'test' nation) it seemed the only option was look at the total population and age related statistics and remove the population below enfranchisement.

I'm currently tabling Belgium with entitlements drawn up for the regions, provinces and arrondisements. Hopefully others will give other countries a shot.

I'll post more soon.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »

Only 2 provinces so far.

West Flanders: 12.9

By Arrondissement

Brugge: 3.1
Diksmuide: 0.6
Oostende: 1.7
Roeselare: 1.6
Tielt: 1.0
Kortrijk: 3.2
Ieper: 1.2
Veurne: 0.7

East Flanders: 15.9

By Arrondissement

Gent: 5.8
Oudenaarde: 1.3
Eeklo: 0.9
Aalst: 3.0
Dendermonde: 2.2
Sint Niklaas: 2.6
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:06:20 PM »

Please post maps.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 06:03:11 AM »

Not that France has enough with 577 circonscriptions, if we divided them up in UK-size we'd have 1500 Deputies!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:23:58 AM »

Not that France has enough with 577 circonscriptions, if we divided them up in UK-size we'd have 1500 Deputies!

Why would France, with an electorate similar in size to that of the UK return nearly 3 times the number of parliamentarians if it was divided up UK style?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:13:37 AM »

Because you said dividing it into "uk sized constituencies", which I assumed you meant just dividing it up into tiny parcels of lands with no regards to population.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:45:12 PM »

Because you said dividing it into "uk sized constituencies", which I assumed you meant just dividing it up into tiny parcels of lands with no regards to population.

But that's not what happens here as constituencies are confined by electoral quotas (just under 70,000 per constituencies in England) with some above or below for demographic, geographical or historical reasons.
freek
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 04:23:15 PM »

Interesting idea.

About three years ago, a Dutch magazine did something similar. At that time there was some discussion in the government if the Dutch electoral system should be changed, since D66 was part of it. A proposed law to reform it to a German-style system was retracted after a government crisis a year later.

Anyway, there was also some discussion if the Netherlands should return to the system used until 1918, with 100 single seat constituencies, with a run-off between the top-two. This magazine thought it would be interesting to see how the 2003 election result might have been when the "old" system was used. So they divided the Netherlands in 150 constituencies. With an electore of about 12.3 million, this gives an average size of ~82,000 voters.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:47:03 PM »

UK sized means Canada sized, so this will definately be cool. However, I do ask for maps. Otherwise it's just meaningless names numbers. (Lewis, are you listening?)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 04:10:26 AM »

UK sized means Canada sized, so this will definately be cool. However, I do ask for maps. Otherwise it's just meaningless names numbers. (Lewis, are you listening?)
You be my mapmaker. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 04:21:53 AM »

You be my mapmaker. Tongue

That can be arranged, if you give me source maps.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 07:28:36 AM »

I'm happy to post maps. However some boundaries are arbitary; i.e one town should have two seats but you cant find smaller administrative units within the town to work with. In that case I'm marking some seats with '2' or '3' until other info becomes avaliable. I should have the whole of the Flemish Region up today.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »

Canadian districts are on average about 1.3x the size of British districts as long as you exclude the territories and PEI. Of course, it varies pretty widely by province.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 02:46:25 PM »

Canadian districts are on average about 1.3x the size of British districts as long as you exclude the territories and PEI. Of course, it varies pretty widely by province.

It's still pretty similar. Plus, look at the Isle of Wight. It's about the size of PEI yet is only one district, while PEI has 4!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 11:34:36 AM »

bump. I hope we can have maps and countries.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »

Ineresting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: