Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 28, 2015, 11:11:58 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Greece General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Greece General Discussion  (Read 5730 times)
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:37 am »
Ignore

Tsipras will be at the Presidential Palace at 3:30 PM local time (2 hours, 10 minutes from now) to officially announce cabinet and take office as PM

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Charlotte Hebdo
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2015, 06:24:59 am »
Ignore

Two important names leaked: Dragasakis as Deputy PM overlooking the finance & economy ministries and leading negotiations with the Eurozone and Yanis Varaufakis as finance minister.

Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2015, 10:16:55 am »
Ignore

Tsipras's first act as Prime Minister: laying a wreath at a memorial where Nazis killed 200 Greeks

I'M SURE THIS IS NOT SYMBOLIC AT ALL

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2015, 10:32:50 am »
Ignore

Ha already sticking it to Golden Dawn.

I don't know, I think the beat-back that happened in the wake of the Inks-Deluge debacle (and the descent of Leip to address it) means that the Mods don't have the standing right now to pull off a ban of a big-name poster.  this place would absolutely erupt, at least for opebo.  jmf maybe a bit less so, but still an outcry.  doesn't mean it could not happen at a future point.
NE Rep. Griffin
Adam Griffin
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2015, 11:08:03 am »
Ignore

I don't follow the internal machinations of Greek political parties as much as I should, but with that being said: why haven't Syriza and KKE formed a coalition? Does KKE view Syriza as "neoliberal" et al?

I feel like Sally Field in Ms. Doubtfire.
Charlotte Hebdo
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2015, 11:17:00 am »
Ignore

I don't follow the internal machinations of Greek political parties as much as I should, but with that being said: why haven't Syriza and KKE formed a coalition? Does KKE view Syriza as "neoliberal" et al?

"Traitors to the working class" etc.

Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:00 am »
Ignore

"Traitors to the working class" etc.
Let's just say that Marxist-Leninsts and Left-wing Radicals have a "tense" relationship.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:38 am »
Ignore

Syriza was formed from people and factions that were expelled (at various different points over the decades) from the KKE for lacking sufficient ideological purity.

CrabCake
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2015, 12:41:27 pm »
Ignore

View the KKE as less of a "party" in the traditional sense, and more as just a statement.

I am the least drama queen-esque of all! It is not dramatic to condemn the incipient authoritarianism of the courts!
I want my friggin hoverboard!
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2015, 01:02:34 pm »
Ignore

Sounds like a fun government.

Any bets when early elections will occur? Maybe this summer? Tongue

"You monotone Humans are all alike. First you condemn and then attack!"

Lokai, political prisoner from the planet Cheron
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:58 pm »
Ignore

Ha already sticking it to Golden Dawn.

Mostly to Merkel, I would think.

Obama/Biden 2016
Charlotte Hebdo
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:51 pm »
Ignore

Sounds like a fun government.

Any bets when early elections will occur? Maybe this summer? Tongue

An early election isn't likely if the government breaks up because Syriza almost has a majority and will lose support after they start governing. You need a situation in which Syriza break up along factional lines and they start hating each other to the point where no cooperation is possible for an early election to make sense - which could happen of course, but is far from certain.

(a left wing breakaway from Syriza could very well remain neutral in votes of confidence if they still thought "Tsipras is better than the alternative")

Otherwise a Syriza-Anel breakdown just means a Syriza minority government with a new partner as tacit support or a new coalition.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:48:40 pm by Charlotte Hebdo »Logged

sex-negative feminist prude
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2015, 12:23:23 pm »
Ignore

So what, if anything, do we know about this Aristeidis Baltas character?

Also, was it expected that the new cabinet would be this much of a dudefest?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:25:14 pm by sex-negative feminist prude »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

I didn't really read it, tbh.
Foucaulf
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Today at 02:53:01 am »
Ignore

BK and I specifically advanced the SYRIZA blackmail theory of debt negotiations a while back. Turns out Dan Davies, a former BoE guy, got to that idea first and with much more detail.

Here's an argument: the only way SYRIZA can launch a massive stimulus program would be to drop out of the Eurozone, since every Greek government agency and bank will be squeezed out of the credit markets and the Europeans wouldn't keep funding. Ditto for any of their attempts to repatch the Greek labour system. The Greek government has been forced to keep a primary surplus, but that may not last very long as Greek tax revenues are already falling.

The only reasonable concessions I see SYRIZA getting is a lowering of the primary surplus to allow for a smoother transition in the crumbling health sector, and maybe some for migration policy. But that won't be enough for voters.

Above [American] Trot confirmed for being to Snowstalker what Snowstalker is to TNF.
I'm a bloody Anarcho-Syndicalist!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout