Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 11:37:02 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  World wildlife population halved in 40 years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: World wildlife population halved in 40 years  (Read 295 times)
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:22:05 pm »
Ignore

Populations of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish have declined by an average of 52%.
Freshwater species have a fall of 76%. A tragedy.

Sometimes I wonder whether only a major epidemic killing off half of humanity can save the rest of the natural world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29418983
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:30:03 pm by politicus »Logged

NewYorkExpress
YaBB God
United States

P P
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:56:14 pm »
Ignore

Populations of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish have declined by an average of 52%.
Freshwater species have a fall of 76%. A tragedy.

Sometimes I wonder whether only a major epidemic killing off half all of humanity can save the rest of the natural world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29418983

fixed

Currently endorsing;
President
Hillary Clinton (D)

Governor
John Hickenlooper(D-CO)
Wendy Davis (D-TX)
Tom Wolf (D-PA)

Senate
Mark Begich (D-AK)
Chris Coons (D-DE)
Michelle Nunn (D-GA)
Alison Grimes (D-KY)
Al Franken (D-MN)

House and other

Adriano Espiliat (D-NY 13)
Gwen Graham (D- FL 2)
Eric Schniderman (NY-AG)
Lisa Madigan (IL-AG)
Mark Critz (PA-LG)
Mia Love (UT CD-4)
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:57:33 pm »
Ignore

I'm confused.  Are those drops the %age drops in the number of species or in the number of individual animals?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »
Ignore

There's no longer such a thing as "wildlife". This planet has been so thoroughly domesticated at this point that the terms "nature" and "the wild" no longer refer to discrete entities but to conceits that exist only within human minds. Even if the whole of humanity were to perish at once, the planet Earth would everywhere bear the mark of our powerful, intelligent and reckless species for the endless milennia to come.

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:34:24 am »
Ignore

There's no longer such a thing as "wildlife". This planet has been so thoroughly domesticated at this point that the terms "nature" and "the wild" no longer refer to discrete entities but to conceits that exist only within human minds. Even if the whole of humanity were to perish at once, the planet Earth would everywhere bear the mark of our powerful, intelligent and reckless species for the endless milennia to come.

Having just returned from Greenland I can tell you that there are still huge areas not domesticated where nature is indeed very much wild. Anyway, this is besides the point. Animals and plant species are disappearing at an alarming pace and the habitats for non-domesticated animals are being ruined which together with poaching leads to dwindling populations. This isn't about discourse, perception or concepts.  No reason to intellectualize a real problem away.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:37:00 am by politicus »Logged

homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 08:11:42 am »
Ignore

By "domestication" I don't mean that we've taught polar bears and tigers to roll over and play fetch. I mean that they're drinking our water, breathing our air, and living on our land - and usually within increasingly close proximity to our homes and businesses. It seems to me that the solution to the problem you've described is non-interference - to leave them alone, to preserve their "wildness". We've entangled ourselves with them to such an extent that a laissez-faire approach to other living creatures is not possible. Whether we like it or not, and regardless of how capable we currently are, we are now their guardians.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:56:13 am »
Ignore

By "domestication" I don't mean that we've taught polar bears and tigers to roll over and play fetch. I mean that they're drinking our water, breathing our air, and living on our land - and usually within increasingly close proximity to our homes and businesses. It seems to me that the solution to the problem you've described is non-interference - to leave them alone, to preserve their "wildness". We've entangled ourselves with them to such an extent that a laissez-faire approach to other living creatures is not possible. Whether we like it or not, and regardless of how capable we currently are, we are now their guardians.

Come on, the free market will magically solve this problem somehow.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:37:13 am »
Ignore

I'm confused.  Are those drops the %age drops in the number of species or in the number of individual animals?

The latter.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout