Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:30:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249392 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:40 AM »

He wants performers.

Although I don't think Coonan was a wise choice. Bishop can tear new ones, re-stitch and tear again - Robb is a wuss.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2008, 08:49:44 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2008, 08:53:14 AM by Smid »

Although I like Malcolm Turnbull and hopes he defeats Kevin Rudd's Labor Party at the next election he has sure made some shocking cabinet decisions today.

Whilst I did predict that Turnbull would select Deputy Leader Julie Bishop to become Shadow Treasurer today, Bishop was selected purely based on tokenism. The same applies for when Bishop was elected as Deputy Leader of the Federal Liberal Party last November. Bishop is by far no means an excellent parliamentarian, nor can she conduct an interview properly thus I have some doubts, in fact a lot of them regarding Turnbull's selection to make her Shadow Treasurer. Not to mention there were far superior choices Turnbull could have made to select as Shadow Treasurer, Andrew Robb anyone?

From what I read today, Andrew Robb expressed an interest in the Treasury portfolio. While Leaders in the Liberal Party are able to select their own Ministry team and allocate portfolios, the Deputy Leader is entitled to select their own portfolio. Julie Bishop chose the Treasury and that's all there is to it.

I still think Andrew Robb's under-rated. I'm glad to see Senator Ronaldson's still in the Ministry. Also keep an eye out for Senator Scott Ryan, who delivered his maiden speech last week - he is a rising up-and-comer who is exceptionally intelligent and will certainly be going places in the long run.

http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/dailys/ds160908.pdf (page 40).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »

I can't help it, I love Senator Coonan. I once predicted she'd be our first female PM, and even though she is a senator, it might just happen.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2008, 12:23:32 AM »

I can't help it, I love Senator Coonan.

Really? That was something that I didn't expect. Although I believe that despite her extensive ministerial experience she will faulter in her new position as Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister, she is much more tolerable than Julie Bishop or the infamous Bronwyn Bishop.

I once predicted she'd be our first female PM, and even though she is a senator, it might just happen.

If any female politician is to become Australia's first female Prime Minister than it would have to be Julia Gillard and she's in the prime position too: Deputy Prime Minister. Hugh, I doubt we will ever see another Senator become Prime Minister of Australia. It was a mere fluke that John Gorton, who as we know was a current member of the Senate at the time, became Prime Minister in January 1968 all due to John McEwen's dislike of William McMahon. And Helen Coonan doing a Gorton in the near future I doubt it very much so.

On another matter Hugh sorry to see your boys lose to Geelong last Friday night. However, I'm glad to see Adam Cooney come home with the Brownlow Medal Smiley. This coming from the man who wanted the crowd's favourite Richmond's Matthew Richardson to claim the coveted prize.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2008, 12:28:15 AM »

I can't help it, I love Senator Coonan.

Really? That was something that I didn't expect. Although I believe that despite her extensive ministerial experience she will faulter in her new position as Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister, she is much more tolerable than Julie Bishop or the infamous Bronwyn Bishop.

I once predicted she'd be our first female PM, and even though she is a senator, it might just happen.

If any female politician is to become Australia's first female Prime Minister than it would have to be Julia Gillard and she's in the prime position too: Deputy Prime Minister. Hugh, I doubt we will ever see another Senator become Prime Minister of Australia. It was a mere fluke that John Gorton, who as we know was a current member of the Senate at the time, became Prime Minister in January 1968 all due to John McEwen's dislike of William McMahon. And Helen Coonan doing a Gorton in the near future I doubt it very much so.

On another matter Hugh sorry to see your boys lose to Geelong last Friday night. However, I'm glad to see Adam Cooney come home with the Brownlow Medal Smiley. This coming from the man who wanted the crowd's favourite Richmond's Matthew Richardson to claim the coveted prize.

Agree with all you've said about Gorton and the odds that this will be repeated. Of course, once he was PM, Gorton moved to the Reps, contesting the by-election triggered by Holt's disappearance. Of course, Bronwyn Bishop also made the move from Senate to House of Reps, in the thought that she might become leader and subsequently PM.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2008, 12:33:04 AM »

Of course, Bronwyn Bishop also made the move from Senate to House of Reps, in the thought that she might become leader and subsequently PM.

Ah yes, who can forget back in 1994 when Hewson's leadership was on the rocks and Bishop was considered the odds on favourite to replace Hewson at the helm. But once a spill was called by Hewson in May 1994 she didn't run for the vacant position and ultimatly it went to Alexander Downer, who lasted a mere nine months. Compared to Brendan Nelson, Alexander Downer could have won in 1996 had he survived Tongue
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »

I knew Julie Bishop would be a terrible selection for the Treasury portfolio and now, only two days after being appointed to the position she has done a "Wayne Swan".

Jule Bishop Gets Official Interest Rate Figure Wrong

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Once again on the matter of Julie Bishop and the Treasury portfolio, her own staff members have admitted taking the rap over a plagiarism row, which was brought to attention during her first speech to the Parliament in the Treasury position where elements of her speech sounded similar to an article in the Wall Street Journal. For more on that story, click here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »

Hurrah! Minchin is Opposition Leader in the Senate! Cheesy
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2008, 05:14:23 AM »

I'm not sure what's more amusing. Kevin Rudd claiming to have entered a gentlemen's club whilst on a foreign policy excursion to New York in 2006 or new Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull claiming to have used marijuana. I personally find the latter to be more so believable.

Turnbull Hailed As 'Refreshingly Honest'

In more serious news, were going to buy more than $4 billion dollars worth of American mortgages, despite Prime Minister Kevin Rudd telling the Australian press that were quote "light years away from the financial troubles in the US". For more on that story click here.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2008, 05:18:15 AM »

I think it's also interesting that Rudd's decided to take the opportunity to tell the US Congress that they should approve the bailout... because in a presidential election year, of course Congress is going to do what the Australian PM suggests.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »

Rudd Urges the United States to Pass Bailout Plan

Kevin Rudd has said numerous times throughout the last two weeks that Australia can avert an economic crisis. Today, even though the House of Representatives in the United States has rejected the Bailout Plan, which Kevin Rudd urged President Bush to pass, Rudd continues to sing this repetitive tune. If you ask anyone who does not live in the aristocratic parts of the country, nine times out of ten they'll say that we cannot escape the coming crisis nor do they support the Bailout (most notably my Father, does he get pissed!). I guess Rudd, like many of us will have to wait and see, but I doubt he'll be right.

Anywho, Kevin Rudd has finally bitten the bullet by committing to support paid maternity leave, thus leaving the United States as the only developed country not to have such leave. However, he has only committed to 18 weeks. For more on that story click here.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2008, 03:28:39 AM »

BUMP

And I thought the Australian public were beginning to dislike Kevin Rudd, obviously not. According to an article in The Age on October 27 (yes two days late, oh my, call 3AW!!) Kevin Rudd is experiencing his highest levels of popularity since taking office on December 3, 2007. I think this carefully planned television stunt, seen on Channel Seven nearly two weeks ago helped in his quest to seek higher popularity numbers.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2008, 07:01:10 AM »

Gporter's secret idol!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »

Indeed, Senator Minchin is Garrison's political idol. Take that Ronald Reagan!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2008, 08:20:10 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24766867-29277,00.html

Australia to have a new (or does "new" imply there's an "old" one?) political tv channel. A-Span, modelled on C-Span.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2008, 01:03:43 AM »

What a terrible name.

I hope they have an online feed.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:59 AM »

Australia to have a new (or does "new" imply there's an "old" one?) political tv channel. A-Span, modelled on C-Span.

C doesn't mean Congress or United States. That means Cable. They can't translate the C in A.

Australia-Satellite Public Affairs Network?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2008, 01:23:10 AM »

C doesn't mean Congress or United States. That means Cable. They can't translate the C in A.

And even if it did mean Congress then they should've called it "P-SPAN".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2008, 01:26:11 AM »

And even if it did mean Congress then they should've called it "P-SPAN".

True. Why not APN?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2008, 01:58:40 AM »

Yeah - I have no idea where they got the name. It's pretty suckful.

There is an Australian Parliamentary Network for Federal Parliament, that also webcasts (at least it webcasts on the parliamentary intranet). It has different channels - one is the House of Reps, one is the Senate, one is the Main Committee, and then there are different channels for each of the Committee Rooms so you can watch the various Committees in action if you require a cure for insomnia. I think they webcast via the www.aph.gov.au site. I know you can get HoR and Senate through there.

The Victorian and Queensland Parliaments have webcasting of their sittings (other states may as well, but I can't say that definitively). Victoria only webcasts audio, however (so it will be interesting to see if this leads them to upgrade to visual - I think the link said that they would, but I can't remember now). Queensland always used to just do it audio, but I think they've upgraded to visual as well, although I'm not 100% certain on that.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:03 AM »

CPAC=fail.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »

Apparently: Australian Subscription Public Affairs Network.

What a terrible name.

I hope they have an online feed.

Apparently they will.

They will commence broadcast with Obama's Inauguration Speech, will broadcast "Federal Parliament, including Committee hearings, speeches, conferences and events such as Anzac Day. It will also broadcast Question Time from the Victorian, NSW and Queensland Parliaments, and cover New Zealand and British Parliaments."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24771760-662,00.html
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »

Hooray! I like this. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend