Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:53:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249713 times)
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2300 on: August 17, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »

I bet the Liberal party room is going to be watching Canning closely. The margin for the September 19 by-election will be important in any leadership considerations. If the Liberals lose, then surely Abbott is a goner.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2301 on: August 22, 2015, 04:18:15 AM »

Labor Frontbench Senator Lisa Singh (spokesperson for Climate Change) has lost preselection in favour of union official John Short.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2302 on: August 22, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »

Labor Frontbench Senator Lisa Singh (spokesperson for Climate Change) has lost preselection in favour of union official John Short.

Too bad. It's Helen Polley who should have lost. Labor should make no place to people wasting public money.

But, hey, factionnal nonsense.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2303 on: August 22, 2015, 05:18:14 PM »

Piece on this by the SMH.

Of course, Shorten and the Executive can still step in and reverse the decision here.  Shorten is privately very unhappy, and beyond being a sad loss to a great senator, this is very embarrassing following his goal of half of the ALP caucus being composed of women.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2304 on: August 22, 2015, 05:31:49 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2015, 05:33:30 PM by Hifly »

Shorten has said he will respect the result. From the couple of times I heard Singh she came across as a whiny hack so glad to see her following the footsteps of the odious Louise Pratt into retirement.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2305 on: August 22, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »

Shorten has said he will respect the result. From the couple of times I heard Singh she came across as a whiny hack so glad to see her following the footsteps of the odious Louise Pratt into retirement.

Are you a paid union official, or a parody of one? No real person can support this decision.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2306 on: August 22, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »

Singh comes from a political dynasty in the continent.
It's always welcoming to see somebody of ordinary background have a run for public office.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2307 on: August 22, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »

Singh comes from a political dynasty in the continent.
It's always welcoming to see somebody of ordinary background have a run for public office.

High-ranking union officials are not "ordinary background". They are quite elite.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #2308 on: August 22, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »

I think Turnbull is fairly likely to be swapped out for leader, in the case there would be such a challenge.

Why, the F*k would they nominate turnbull for leader, can't they find anyone new or someone they didn't kick out of the leadership before.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2309 on: August 22, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »

I think Turnbull is fairly likely to be swapped out for leader, in the case there would be such a challenge.

Why, the F*k would they nominate turnbull for leader, can't they find anyone new or someone they didn't kick out of the leadership before.

Isn't it obvious? He's the most popular potential Liberal leader in the country, according to polling.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2310 on: August 22, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »

Turnbull faces that old vexation of being terribly popular with the general public, and terribly unpopular with the Liberal caucus and core voters.  Unfortunately for him, the later is who determines if he gets the job.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #2311 on: August 23, 2015, 06:09:07 AM »

Turnbull faces that old vexation of being terribly popular with the general public, and terribly unpopular with the Liberal caucus and core voters.  Unfortunately for him, the later is who determines if he gets the job.

As a Liberal core voter, I can definitely vouch for being one of the "lose with Abbott rather than win with Turnbull" crowd.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this on another board, but the draft redistribution proposal for WA has been released. The 16th seat, based in southeastern Perth, is proposed to be called Burt, after the Burt family.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2312 on: August 24, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »

New polling has the ALP ahead 54-46 on the two-party preferred.

More significantly, it shows a five point increase in Shorten's approval rating, and a three point drop in Abbott's.  Shorten's approval numbers are ahead of Abbot's for the first time since the May budget, and he's also ahead as preferred Prime Minister.

Abbot has stated recently that the Canning by-election is a much more accurate test of public opinion than any poll (built on fairly good reasoning here), but remember the most recent poll in the electorate only showed the Liberals ahead by 2%.  September should be a fun month! Smiley
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2313 on: August 25, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »

Classic ALP shenanigans. Remove popular incumbent nonfactional woman, replace with some random union guy nobody has ever heard with. Remember last election when Penny Wong almost lost placement to a literal nobody?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2314 on: August 25, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »

A ReachTel poll in The West Australian has Labor very narrowly ahead on TPP in Canning.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2315 on: August 25, 2015, 11:24:55 PM »

Joe Hockey is setting up a Parliamentary Friendship Group with Labor's Katy Gallagher about the push for an Australian Republic.

Very interesting to see Hockey make such a public push for this now, but also encouraging from the point of view of the republican movement and the momentum that its been trying to build as of late.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2316 on: August 26, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »

Joe Hockey is setting up a Parliamentary Friendship Group with Labor's Katy Gallagher about the push for an Australian Republic.

Very interesting to see Hockey make such a public push for this now, but also encouraging from the point of view of the republican movement and the momentum that its been trying to build as of late.

I was discussing this with my dad (who used to be a Labor supporter, hasn't been a fan of any party since around 2005) earlier today, and he thinks Hockey's push might be a prelude to a leadership move, post-Canning by-election.

Thoughts?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2317 on: August 26, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »

Hockey is politically very close to Abbott and it's commonly accepted that if Abbott goes as PM he'll go as Treasurer. Few would seriously consider him an alternative leadership prospective.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2318 on: August 26, 2015, 06:57:46 PM »

Hockey is politically very close to Abbott and it's commonly accepted that if Abbott goes as PM he'll go as Treasurer. Few would seriously consider him an alternative leadership prospective.

Didn't think he would toss his hat into the ring, should a spill occur. I think if one does occur, Turnbull, Bishop, and possibly someone else (Morrison?) will be the choices alongside Abbott.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2319 on: August 26, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »

I was discussing this with my dad (who used to be a Labor supporter, hasn't been a fan of any party since around 2005) earlier today, and he thinks Hockey's push might be a prelude to a leadership move, post-Canning by-election.

Thoughts?

No. I think it's smart for him to try to present some other side to himself, but this is more about overall image rehabilitation. But it's interesting that Hockey is talking about everything that isn't about the economy and jobs is a distraction aaaaand he decides to make a big deal about something that is at best, a fourth-order political issue that is about as far away from being one of national importance as you can think.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2320 on: August 27, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »

Disgusting. Hope he's sacked.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2321 on: August 27, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »

It's harmless - it's a non-issue. This isn't 20 years ago.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2322 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »

So this will all come to naught?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2323 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »

...Most (or at least a strong minority) of high-profile Liberals are republicans, including Julie Bishop and Malcolm Turnbull. This was the case in the Howard years too, with individuals like Peter Costello being self-professed Republicans.

Unfortunately it seems like it'll be a very long time before a republic comes into being. Sad
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2324 on: August 27, 2015, 02:11:15 PM »

...Most (or at least a strong minority) of high-profile Liberals are republicans, including Julie Bishop and Malcolm Turnbull. This was the case in the Howard years too, with individuals like Peter Costello being self-professed Republicans.

Unfortunately it seems like it'll be a very long time before a republic comes into being. Sad

Well Shorten is trying to fire up the energy within Labor again.

I think it will be within the next decade.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies