Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:04:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249383 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 21, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

A failed leader as a compromise between two failed leaders? That would almost as much an epic failure as replacing Gillard with Rudd.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »

Can Labor hold on at this point?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2012, 05:30:44 PM »

Laurie Oakes presents: Simon Crean as compromise candidate.

Crean would just be put up as a sacrificial lamb.

I still argue the condition is not terminal. It's getting extremely close to it, but there's perhaps 18 months before the next election.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »

Catapulting someone into the Prime Ministry as a 'sacrificial lamb' strikes me as an absolutely terrible idea on pretty much every level.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

but there's perhaps 18 months before the next election.

According to Antony Green, the earliest date for an ordinary full house and half senate non-DD election is August next year.

What Crean lacks in charisma he makes up for in gravitas and seriousness (a bit like Howard, really).
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »

Catapulting someone into the Prime Ministry as a 'sacrificial lamb' strikes me as an absolutely terrible idea on pretty much every level.

I concur.

Could anyone explain this to me:

The Liberals are howling over the proposed carbon tax which Gillard apparently promised would not happen
 What would have pushed Gillard into supporting the tax now.

Also, isn't there a sitcom satirising here relationship with here significant other?

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »

Also, isn't there a sitcom satirising here relationship with here significant other?

The sitcom was decidedly unfunny. The only thing going for it was the lead character's close resemblance to the Prime Minister - she'd previously done skits impersonating the PM on other shows which were shorter... the humour just couldn't last the distance of a full show dedicated to pretty much the one joke. The first episode wasn't horrendous, the portrayal of the independents were pretty good.

The Hollowmen was a far superior production by the ABC.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2012, 06:52:34 PM by President-elect Polnut »

The sitcom was decidedly unfunny. The only thing going for it was the lead character's close resemblance to the Prime Minister - she'd previously done skits impersonating the PM on other shows which were shorter... the humour just couldn't last the distance of a full show dedicated to pretty much the one joke. The first episode wasn't horrendous, the portrayal of the independents were pretty good.

The Hollowmen was a far superior production by the ABC.

I didn't hate At Home With Julia... if I'm honest. I was expecting an utter train-wreck, so my expectations were very low.

The Hollowmen is AWESOME!

I concur.

Could anyone explain this to me:

The Liberals are howling over the proposed carbon tax which Gillard apparently promised would not happen
 What would have pushed Gillard into supporting the tax now.

This is a trap that Gillard laid for herself.

She had a policy that would lead to and emissions trading scheme, but she was STUPID in the extreme to make a declarative statement during an election campaign.

I personally don't believe she was lying, when she said "there will be no carbon tax under any Government I lead"... I think she meant it. However, the consequences of minority government forced her hand to make a deal to put A price on carbon. My gut is she was told the ETS conversion would be too complex, having a carbon price in place before a full ETS would get the support of both the Greens and the Independents.

.... it should also be noted that Tony Abbott supported a carbon tax in 2009 as an alternative the Rudd CPRS ETS... which shows he's about opposing whatever the Government is doing. Considering the desperation Abbott was displaying to get the Independents after the 2010 election... I would guarantee there would be a true market mechanism on carbon... as opposed to the government paying the polluters to not do it (the Coalition's policy).
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/why-is-this-man-so-popular-and-how-long-can-it-last/
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2012, 11:33:54 PM »

Can I ask a cultural question?

In the United States, it is not unusual for a child to answer, if asked about what he wants to be when he grows up, that he wants to be president. Even with our general cynicism of politics, there are many past and present politicians we idolize.

Do children in Australia, maybe you for example, Polnut, ever aspire to become Prime Minister. To put it another way, is aspiring to political leadership, such as the premiership, something encouraged among Australia's young people?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »

As a Canuck I'm getting flashbacks to when Paul Martin was fired a decade ago. Not that the outcome will be the same, since Rudd controls neither machinery nor anything approaching a majority of caucus...
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #311 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:51 AM »

Can I ask a cultural question?

In the United States, it is not unusual for a child to answer, if asked about what he wants to be when he grows up, that he wants to be president. Even with our general cynicism of politics, there are many past and present politicians we idolize.

Do children in Australia, maybe you for example, Polnut, ever aspire to become Prime Minister. To put it another way, is aspiring to political leadership, such as the premiership, something encouraged among Australia's young people?

No... well it's not "normal".

I did... but I wasn't normal.

We certainly don't put politicians on any kind of pedestal, doesn't mean we don't appreciate or like them... a few PMs have been genuinely liked, like Bob Hawke, even Rudd for a time - others are respected like Howard, Menzies, Curtin... but most happen to be the standard barer of the policies that have the most support.

We don't 'fetishise' the Premiership.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: February 22, 2012, 01:50:17 AM »

With Kevin Rudd's resignation today and many of his comments... I would say it's almost certain he will challenge for the leadership on Monday/Tuesday next week.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: February 22, 2012, 04:30:36 AM »

Gillard will tomorrow announce a leadership spill on Monday morning.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: February 22, 2012, 05:03:58 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/labor-colleagues-sick-of-rudd-swan-20120222-1to9i.html

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Wayne.

This could backfire.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #315 on: February 22, 2012, 05:08:39 AM »

What interests me is the poll on the bottom. Internet poll and all, but 82% think Rudd is doing the right thing.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: February 22, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »

Which is the problem... the public like him... but don't know him - his colleagues know him, and hate him.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:38 AM »

Well, I wish Gillard luck. This prick has no business being anywhere near the premiership.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »

Which is the problem... the public like him... but don't know him - his colleagues know him, and hate him.

The closer people get to him, the less they like him. I handed out HTV cards at the Woodridge by-election opposite him when he was a first term backbencher and found him to be an odious t***. Don't know if the word to fill the blank is allowable or not.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2012, 05:55:58 AM »

I hate to use anecdotal evidence, but I've got a friend whose mother worked for him and he was allegedly a highly abusive, profane, and unsympathetic boss.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2012, 06:02:31 AM »

I hate to use anecdotal evidence, but I've got a friend whose mother worked for him and he was allegedly a highly abusive, profane, and unsympathetic boss.

It's fine when the anecdotal evidence matches up with a TON of it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »

The closer people get to him, the less they like him. I handed out HTV cards at the Woodridge by-election opposite him when he was a first term backbencher and found him to be an odious t***. Don't know if the word to fill the blank is allowable or not.

Pretty sure that 'twat' is fine here.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »

I've also got anecdotal evidence, so to type, of Rudd being a twat and Gillard being a nice enough woman.

FWIW, Nicola Roxon is apparently the only cabinet minister more odious than Rudd.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #323 on: February 22, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »

anyone know where I can find a breakdown of the support for Rudd or Gillard?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #324 on: February 22, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »

anyone know where I can find a breakdown of the support for Rudd or Gillard?

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/2012/02/23/gillard-vs-rudd-the-re-match/
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies