Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 07:28:03 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 59 Print
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 67613 times)
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:31 am »
Ignore

It's more that Australian Labor is basically left-in-that-it-isn't-as-right-wing-as-the-liberals.

I highly doubt anyone will replace Gillard before the next election, and if it were to be anyone it would need to be an old face like Crean.

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government. If they're at 60-65 seats post election, which seems about likely, someone along the lines of Andrew Laming, Jason Clare, at a stretch Mark Dreyfus.

Dude, Laming's a Liberal.

I meant Andrew Leigh, oops.
Yaayy!  I'm a big fan of his.  A true unabashed social democrat who isn't a slave to either faction.  Hope he becomes Labor leader and fixes up the party (both structurally and ideologically) and becomes PM. 

-7.61 Economic
-7.48 Social
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 18, 2012, 03:19:08 pm »
Ignore

Queensland at a stretch, largely because it hasn't been as clearly two-party as the rest of the nation. It is now, but you see the right wing in QLD fracture a lot and it will fracture again, whether through disintegration of the LNP or rising new challengers like BKAP or PHON back in the 90s.

NSW saw a few minor parties do surprisingly well, but a massive swing to the opposition away from the government doesn't really count as volatility when compared to Canada.

Swings in Canada and Australia make UK elections seem so predictable.

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:04 pm »
Ignore

It's more that Australian Labor is basically left-in-that-it-isn't-as-right-wing-as-the-liberals.

I highly doubt anyone will replace Gillard before the next election, and if it were to be anyone it would need to be an old face like Crean.

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government. If they're at 60-65 seats post election, which seems about likely, someone along the lines of Andrew Laming, Jason Clare, at a stretch Mark Dreyfus.

Yaayy!  I'm a big fan of his.  A true unabashed social democrat who isn't a slave to either faction.  Hope he becomes Labor leader and fixes up the party (both structurally and ideologically) and becomes PM. 

Very smart man too - he's basically the Antony Green/Nate Silver/etc. of parliament.
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 18, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »
Ignore

Very smart man too - he's basically the Antony Green/Nate Silver/etc. of parliament.

If that's the case, guys like that have no business running the show, just pulling the strings come election time. Like a Peter Mandelson or a David Axelrod. They're just more effective that way.

Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:34 am »
Ignore

If that's the case, guys like that have no business running the show, just pulling the strings come election time. Like a Peter Mandelson or a David Axelrod. They're just more effective that way.
Well, he's also very charismatic.  I suppose you could say he's both a head and a heart as well.  I'm guessing he's seen as far more ideologically in line with the Left faction than with the right?

-7.61 Economic
-7.48 Social
Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 28, 2012, 08:52:27 pm »
Ignore

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government.

Shorten has obviously had a few gaffes of late - eating humble pie, and not knowing what he supports, but I didn't think either were enough to stop him from becoming Leader. However... after yesterday's gaffe, I don't think he can ever become leader.

EMPLOYMENT Minister Bill Shorten ruled out any immediate increase to the $13,000 a year Newstart allowance yesterday, despite declaring he finds it "hard to make ends meet" on his much larger salary of about $330,000.
(Source)

For our international readers, Newstart allowance is the government/brand name for unemployment welfare payments. Specifically, here is Minister Shorten's quote from the same article:

I think it would be very difficult to live on $249 (a week). I've got a young family, I find it hard enough to make ends meet currently and I've got a job.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »
Ignore

You were right about the "next Latham" thing Smid. Now all we need is him getting physical or profane on camera.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  »

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 03, 2012, 03:39:34 pm »
Ignore

Post election, Shorten is a possibility, although I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a bit of an unknown, and allowed them to build a brand new identity as Labor leader, untainted by the Gillard government.

Shorten has obviously had a few gaffes of late - eating humble pie, and not knowing what he supports, but I didn't think either were enough to stop him from becoming Leader. However... after yesterday's gaffe, I don't think he can ever become leader.
THANK GOD! 

-7.61 Economic
-7.48 Social
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »
Ignore

We'll see if caucus shares our view of Shorten. They already had one Latham and don't need another. However as a Coalition fan I sure hope they pick him- it would be an increased majority in Abbott's second term.

7.35, 3.65

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Solopop
solopop
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 29, 2012, 11:28:41 am »
Ignore

If Gillard loses the election in 2016 Roxon will be Labor leader.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 29, 2012, 08:31:04 pm »
Ignore

Alan Jones trolls Gillard.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/14996717/gillards-father-died-of-shame-alan-jones/

7.35, 3.65

- Charles de Gaulle

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 29, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
Ignore

It was absolutely disgusting...

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 30, 2012, 08:54:34 am »
Ignore

Highly improbable, and from a personal viewpoint, highly undesirable.

------

Re: Jones. Not a surprise he's a tosser, just a surprise the media have decided to make a scandal out of this. Why not any of the last 327 disgusting things he's said in the last few years?

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 30, 2012, 10:34:17 am »
Ignore

Trust me anyone who has to deal with her personally will not want that...

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:36 am »
Ignore

Highly improbable, and from a personal viewpoint, highly undesirable.

------

Re: Jones. Not a surprise he's a tosser, just a surprise the media have decided to make a scandal out of this. Why not any of the last 327 disgusting things he's said in the last few years?
Well it's about time they did....
Solopop
solopop
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 01, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
Ignore

Trust me anyone who has to deal with her personally will not want that...

Really, people I know who've worked with her quite like her.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »
Ignore

Slipper claims conspiracy?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/9589923/Australian-parliament-speaker-Peter-Slipper-claims-political-conspiracy.html

7.35, 3.65

- Charles de Gaulle

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 06, 2012, 04:20:37 pm »
Ignore

So, I don't follow Australian politics much, so forgive my ignorance, but...has there been a swing towards the ALP recently?
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »
Ignore

A few weeks ago there was a 50-50 poll but no polls have been published since then. Abbott's still favoured but he can't get complacent.

7.35, 3.65

- Charles de Gaulle

Solopop
solopop
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:30 am »
Ignore

Abbott's not favored Gillard's smashing him in who's a better leader and more likeable.

And 2 Party polling shows Labor and Liberals tied, so Labor support is growing.

Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:10 am »
Ignore

The state of it is basically this: Nobody likes the government, but when they have to choose between a labor government or a Tony Abbott Prime Ministership, they're splitting down the middle.

The question is, who is more likely to make themselves more attractive: Labor as a whole, or Abbott?

Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 09, 2012, 04:13:30 am »
Ignore

Slipper resigns
Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 09, 2012, 04:42:04 am »
Ignore

Embarrassingly, given his lewd text messages, the Prime Minister and Attorney-General who believe that Tony Abbott has a problem with women, somewhat hypocritically supported him to remain as Speaker today.

I won't copy any of his texts here, but a google search of "peter slipper salty" will turn up results for anyone who wants to assess for themselves the content of his messages.
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 09, 2012, 05:15:57 am »
Ignore

I've never seen my facebook wall so full of blind people. The left are completely ignoring the texts but all posting about Gillard's absolutely stunning parliamentary performance, the right are all ignoring the fact that Abbott got reamed in parliament and focussing on what a horrible, horrible man Slipper is.

So even though the guy Gillard was indirectly supporting is filth of the kind that the left hates, and even though Slipper represented the coalition for something like 20 years, everyone got what they wanted from today.

As for me... as much as I hate Abbott and was pretty much cheering on the PM word for word, I think the resignation makes the day a slight win for the opposition.

...although probably more accurately, everyone lost except the hacks.

Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 09, 2012, 05:17:46 am »
Ignore

Gillard in parliament, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihd7ofrwQX0

Worth a watch.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 59 Print 
« previous next »