Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249632 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:10 AM »

The guy with glasses who hosts the election coverage on ABC....(his name?)....didn't he used to work for Gough Whitlam?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #426 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »

Kerry O'Brien? aka Red Kerry? Broadly agreed by the left and right to be one of the best political journalists in Australian history.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »

Looks kinda like you saw a more balanced story elsewhere and then hunted down a source that most closely aligned with your views. Good to know the Sunshine Coast Daily didn't disappoint.

For a somewhat more balanced version, here's the take by the (still right-wing) Courier Mail:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/death-costs-wont-rise-under-carbon-tax-the-federal-government-has-promised/story-e6freon6-1226421669761

I assure you, I am quite ignorant of what is right or left in terms of Australian media. He only paper I know is the Australian, which is a Murdoch's outfit.

Anyway, I think he story is rather silly. I just posted it because of he weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over the law.

Right: Murdoch media (Telegraph, Australian)
Center: Fairfax media (might move right once Rinehart takes over)
Left: ABC/SBS

Generally.

Much abliged.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #428 on: July 15, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »

http://newmatilda.com/2012/07/13/nsw-rights-american-playbook
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #429 on: July 26, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »

Here's the new campaign for Tourism Australia. I reckon it's perfect, which makes a nice change from some of the old ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pOVfJwBd5s
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #430 on: July 29, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »

I agree, one of the best in years.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #431 on: July 29, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »

Wasn't Tourism Australia the company that made the "Where the bloody hell are you?" ads?
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #432 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »

If I may ask a question, who do you think would succeed Gillard as leader of the Labor Party? Would Rudd make another attempt at the leadership?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #433 on: August 15, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »

Shorten I'm guessing.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #434 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »

If I may ask a question, who do you think would succeed Gillard as leader of the Labor Party? Would Rudd make another attempt at the leadership?

The favorite is Employment Minister Bill Shorten, often hailed as Labor's "next great hope". However, considering that Labor will likely spend at least six years in opposition after 2013, I think he may not take the leadership.

Kevin Rudd's frontbench hopes are probably finished if Labor loses the next election. He is widely loathed in caucus and without their jobs at risk, the remaining Labor MPs would almost certainly not vote for him.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »

The favorite is Employment Minister Bill Shorten, often hailed as Labor's "next great hope". However, considering that Labor will likely spend at least six years in opposition after 2013, I think he may not take the leadership.

Kevin Rudd's frontbench hopes are probably finished if Labor loses the next election. He is widely loathed in caucus and without their jobs at risk, the remaining Labor MPs would almost certainly not vote for him.
If this is the ALP's "next great hope," then it's in pretty dire straights. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwCyn1nOP0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #436 on: August 15, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »

Peter: Don't forget the bakery hissy fit. Tongue
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »

Peter: Don't forget the bakery hissy fit. Tongue
I didn't hear about that.  What happened?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #438 on: August 15, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYqRB63Yh-4

Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »

Un...believable.  To think he's Labor's best hope.  Depressing (for me anyway.  Not for you Tongue)  What about Greg Combet, is he considered a viable future leader? 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #440 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2012, 11:10:10 PM by Smid »

Un...believable.  To think he's Labor's best hope.  Depressing (for me anyway.  Not for you Tongue)  What about Greg Combet, is he considered a viable future leader? 

He's from the left, which probably doesn't help his cause (my understanding is that NSW right almost always dominates caucus). He is apparently very smart, though, and has a thorough understanding of his portfolio - I heard this from someone on my side who has met with him in a professional capacity.

Shorten was always very good with the media while he was a union boss, although he's dropped all the balls since being elected. I used to fear a Shorten leadership, back when Howard was still PM, now I think he'd almost be a second coming of Mark Latham. His media management during the Beaconsfield mine collapse was particularly impressive - I think he'd been preselected at that point, but had not yet been elected... this was when he was at his most fearsome, in my opinion. I was reading he's a favourite of NSW Right, still, but that they don't want to burn him up by having him lead Labor to an election loss, when they could install him following the election.

Rudd is drastically unpopular, and the attacks by Wayne Swan, et al during the last leadership bid were designed to be used in Liberal ads if he were to become PM... thereby making him untouchable. He's popular with the electorate, and desperate backbenchers can do desperate things, particularly when looking at a forced retirement at the next election, so it's impossible to rule him out, but they'll probably not go to him because of the clips that could be run in Liberal ads of him being savaged by those senior Labor figures.

There has been a bit of talk around Simon Crean. He's boring (in a good, "doesn't spook the horses" kind of way), and is probably perceived as a bit of an elder statesman.

I read a very good article the other week that Swan could get it as a person who wouldn't win the next election, but might "save the furniture." It said that he wasn't seeking the leadership, but might take it if the Prime Minister was challenged. It was saying the office, staff and driver for life might convince him that being PM for a year or half a year leading up to an election loss may be a good... swan song... if you excuse the pun.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #441 on: August 15, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »

I like the Latham comparison. Still doubt that they're changing leaders before the election though.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #442 on: August 15, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »

Well, being from the left didn't stop Gillard.  Then again, it was the right who installed her.  But is Combet from the soft left or more left of the left type?  And how about Nicola Roxon, is she seen as a potential future ALP leader?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #443 on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »

Wayne Swan would lose just as badly or worse than Gillard. If I'm correct, many often see him a laughingstock, and he'd be the first prime minister to never win an election since Billy McMahon (not to mention he'd likely lose his own seat). He'd probably be remembered as a joke in the history books. Then again, "the office, staff and driver for life" might convince Swanny to to do it anyway.

I agree with RogueBeaver though. I think Gillard will still be in place to lose the next election.

What do people here think of Defence Minister Stephen Smith? I keep on hearing him mentioned as a "saving the furniture" guy in the media, but does he actually have anything different to offer?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #444 on: August 16, 2012, 08:07:59 AM »

All the Swan reports say he'd only do it in a Heseltine scenario- if a nuisance candidate went first.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #445 on: August 16, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »

Wayne Swan would lose just as badly or worse than Gillard. If I'm correct, many often see him a laughingstock, and he'd be the first prime minister to never win an election since Billy McMahon (not to mention he'd likely lose his own seat). He'd probably be remembered as a joke in the history books. Then again, "the office, staff and driver for life" might convince Swanny to to do it anyway.

I agree with RogueBeaver though. I think Gillard will still be in place to lose the next election.

What do people here think of Defence Minister Stephen Smith? I keep on hearing him mentioned as a "saving the furniture" guy in the media, but does he actually have anything different to offer?

Not particularly, but he is safe and probably has backing of both wings of the party.

The heir apparent is without a doubt Shorten. Unfortunately Smid is right about the Right controlling the party's leadership.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #446 on: August 16, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »

Not particularly, but he is safe and probably has backing of both wings of the party.

The heir apparent is without a doubt Shorten. Unfortunately Smid is right about the Right controlling the party's leadership.
That sucks.  Would the left have a shot at it if most of the MP's who loose their seats in 2013 are from the right?  'Cause it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) like the majority of MP's who are at risk of loosing their seats are from the right. 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #447 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »

That sucks.  Would the left have a shot at it if most of the MP's who loose their seats in 2013 are from the right?  'Cause it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) like the majority of MP's who are at risk of loosing their seats are from the right. 

I think that the map will look somewhere between current and 2004 results (when the election was fought on interest rates, and given that mortgage repayments = cost of living, is not dissimilar to "the carbon tax raises the cost of living"). Basically, outer suburban areas are more likely to swing than inner-city seats. I don't know enough about which backbencher is in which faction to be able to comment further.

Current:

2004:

Bigger versions in the gallery.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #448 on: August 17, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »

So the potential Labor leaders after Gillard looses to Abbot are:
A socially (and fiscally) conservative weirdo who seems like a porky pine (Swan)
A guy with the personality of a piece of cardboard (Smith)
An old guy who's already had a go leading the party (Crean)
A guy who's so loyal to his leader that he'll threaten a baker who's out of the thing that she wants and will unconditionally agree with her, and would likely demand the same loyalty from his front bench (Shorten)
An uncharismatic, though intelligent, nerd who was also instrumental in the implementation of the carbon tax (Combet)
Two nice folks from the left of the left who I like but are unelectable (Albanese and Plibersek)
If these are the ALP's next generation of leadership, then I would only be partially surprised if the ALP bleeds support to both sides until Australia has a Canada 2011-style re-alignment-of-the-left election within the next decade.  
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #449 on: August 17, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »

If you think that's possible then you don't really understand Australia.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies