Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249710 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: March 20, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »

ABC reporting that 20 MPs are in Rudd's office now urging him to run.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #826 on: March 20, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »

Laura Smyth supporting Rudd.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #827 on: March 20, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »

If you haven't seen what Antony Green has to say (video), you absolutely need to. To make it quick, he points out that an early election would necessitate a separate half-Senate election next year, since not enough time has elapsed since the last Senate election. He notes that half-Senate elections have historically been disastrous for the ruling government, so the Liberals would not be particularly keen on one happening next year; as a result, they might not attempt to bring the government down even if they have the numbers to do it.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #828 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »

Rudd isn't running.

Got to break it before an Australian Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #829 on: March 21, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »

I think I already broke it an hour ago, but yeah, Rudd's not standing.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #830 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:52 AM »

Well what happens next?

I don't think this is the end of it. I still reckon that this might just be the beginning.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #831 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:33 AM »

Gillard and Swan elected as Leader and Deputy Leader unopposed. All that's changed is that now Simon Crean is on the backbench for the first time in his 22-year parliamentary career.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #832 on: March 21, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »

Does how things went is good or bad for Labor?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #833 on: March 21, 2013, 01:08:45 AM »

Peter Hartcher just made a very important point... all of those people who stuck their neck out on Rudd's behalf and worked for him, to not even try for a ballot... it probably wrecks his credibility.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #834 on: March 21, 2013, 06:19:09 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2013, 06:23:13 AM by forward '12 »

Shows what the last 3 years have done to KRudd, someone who I used to respect. He's a gutless bottler. If she did actually have 58 MPs, everyone knows she could hardly limp on with that.

Well done to the PM, nerves of steal. Just seen the "hit me with your best shot" clip from QT and everything about her looked/sounded like someone who was convinced she'd be gone.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #835 on: March 21, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »

She called Rudd's bluff... she knew he didn't have the majority... I'm told that Rudd never got above 45-46... but that numbers dropped BACK after Gillard's Question Time performance.

My view was that a very tight Gillard win would have been as bad as a loss... her position would have been untenable and she would have had to have gone. By Simon Crean's suicide move and Gillard's quick thinking, she forced the situation to head and made sure her numbers did not have to be tested.

It days like today that I love Gillard... others... eh

Knives
solopop
« Reply #836 on: March 21, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »

My favorite Gillard moments are obviously her speech that one day some actress will win an Oscar for, I love her little comments like the way she walked into caucus today smiling and saying hi to the press as if she knew how it'd go down, I loved her Press Conference's when people were accusing he of being corrupt, I love how she pretended the world was going to end I just love Julia's personality obviously she's had problems dealing with sh**tting MP's and some things she's done really hasn't helped but it's hard for me not to love her.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #837 on: March 21, 2013, 07:45:36 AM »

It is interesting that the Australian standard of living has so far outstripped the American.. something near double now I think.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #838 on: March 21, 2013, 08:06:43 AM »

She has a spine, unlike other people in caucus.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #839 on: March 21, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/rudd-ends-speculation-of-another-tilt-20130322-2gjn6.html

Rudd makes it as clear as possible...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #840 on: March 21, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »

Pfff, and people call Pauline Marois the Concrete Lady.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #841 on: March 21, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

Plenty of casualties, and Grattan writes Rudd's political obituary.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2013/3/22/politics/gillards-near-impossible-labour

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #842 on: March 21, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »

As I mentioned, I find it strange the Coalition is trying to call again for an early election... you'd think if they were so sure Gillard was political dead-woman walking... you'd want to keep her on for as long as possible.

I don't think they want to risk a more secure and stable Gillard being able to get traction... There's no way a no-confidence motion passes... so the election will be in September, and you get the feeling the Coalition doesn't want that.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #843 on: March 21, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »

Abbott's been calling for an election since the last one. Nothing new there. Budget session will be the last sitting of this Parliament, right?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #844 on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »

As I mentioned, I find it strange the Coalition is trying to call again for an early election... you'd think if they were so sure Gillard was political dead-woman walking... you'd want to keep her on for as long as possible.

I don't think they want to risk a more secure and stable Gillard being able to get traction... There's no way a no-confidence motion passes... so the election will be in September, and you get the feeling the Coalition doesn't want that.

They want an election now because they'll win if it's held now.  They'll probably win if it's held in September too, but there's at least a chance that something happens between now and then that changes voters' minds.  So why take that risk, if they can avoid it?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #845 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »

Abbott's been calling for an election since the last one. Nothing new there. Budget session will be the last sitting of this Parliament, right?

Actually, Abbott has been remarkably quiet on the new election. I haven't heard him say it for months... yes, Morden is right, it's about avoiding any possible come back. I'm beginning to change my view that they're doomed. I still think they're significant underdogs... much weirder things have happened.

I believe the last sitting day would be 27 June.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #846 on: March 21, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »

How weak is the Prime Minister of Australia as a post? It seems very small compared to the UK for example...
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #847 on: March 21, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »

How weak is the Prime Minister of Australia as a post? It seems very small compared to the UK for example...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21863630?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcworld&buffer_share=6a416&utm_source=buffer

That shows some of the glaring differences between Aus and the UK in terms of the strength of party leaders.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #848 on: March 21, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »

Ish, it depends on the leader and the party and the times. Howard was much more in control than Blair, for example.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #849 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21863630?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcworld&buffer_share=6a416&utm_source=buffer

That shows some of the glaring differences between Aus and the UK in terms of the strength of party leaders.

I only skimmed through that article, but it looks like it ignores the actual structural reason for why such coups are common here: A party leadership election can be called at any time for any reason, and it can all be resolved within a few hours.  Changing party leaders in the UK is a lengthier process, is it not?  I don't recall either Cameron or Miliband taking over mere hours after their respective predecessors announced that they were stepping down.

I can only imagine the drama that would have been unfolding for the last several years between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama if the US had something like the system in Australia.  Bob Woodward surely would have been able to get at least two books out of it.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies