Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:39:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 249716 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: May 06, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »

...and I hate Daniel Andrews.

Vic budget is as cynical election yearish as they get, but that's no different from any state government of any colour anywhere.

The budget doesn't make me get any closer to voting for them, but Daniel Andrews being an absolute sh**t of a human being in the media since it definitely does Labor no favours.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1301 on: May 06, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »

Is their a chance Malcolm Turnbull could be leading the Liberals into the next election? Especially if Abbott can't force through the Carbon Tax repeal in the new parliament.

It seems that for a third time consecutively in Australia a Prime Minister will be traumatically damaged over a botched tax introduction.

I'm salivating at the thought but I don't think so. It would invite some really unflattering comparisons to Rudd-Gillard and probably damage their credibility more than if they just stuck by Abbott.

The funny thing is, I'm seeing Abbott more and more like Rudd. Basically, there's not a huge personal base of loyalty. They were loyal to him because his strategy put them close to Government, then into Government.

But if things consistently go wrong, I can see that support evaporating.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1302 on: May 08, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2014, 10:09:39 PM by RogueBeaver »

WTF is wrong with these folks?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1303 on: May 08, 2014, 10:34:16 PM »

Morons, apologising is good - but should never have happened.

On probably one of the worst gut-punches from the Coalition's base - corporate confidence in the Government collapses since election. They cite unnecessary austerity measures putting pressure on household and corporate spending.

Economists also expect a 'wave' of unemployment triggered by cuts in public spending. 
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1304 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »

Making stupid images in not confined to Unions, the Liberal Party is pretty good at it too:

Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1305 on: May 08, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »

Is their a chance Malcolm Turnbull could be leading the Liberals into the next election? Especially if Abbott can't force through the Carbon Tax repeal in the new parliament.

It seems that for a third time consecutively in Australia a Prime Minister will be traumatically damaged over a botched tax introduction.

I'm salivating at the thought but I don't think so. It would invite some really unflattering comparisons to Rudd-Gillard and probably damage their credibility more than if they just stuck by Abbott.

The funny thing is, I'm seeing Abbott more and more like Rudd. Basically, there's not a huge personal base of loyalty. They were loyal to him because his strategy put them close to Government, then into Government.

That is a pretty funny parallel. I'm not that fond of Rudd, but at least he had ideas and the GFC to excuse his incompetence whereas Abbott is just completely reactionary and wants to raze everything to the ground.

On probably one of the worst gut-punches from the Coalition's base - corporate confidence in the Government collapses since election. They cite unnecessary austerity measures putting pressure on household and corporate spending.

Economists also expect a 'wave' of unemployment triggered by cuts in public spending. 

It's pretty amazing, don't you think, this dichotomy between Labor being excellent economic managers and the Liberals just being totally ideological and incompetent.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1306 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:53 AM »

No time to elaborate, but Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters makes excellent recommendations regarding Senate voting: Optional Preferential, including for Above-the-Line voting. See Antony Green's blog for details.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1307 on: May 09, 2014, 12:54:36 AM »

That is a pretty funny parallel. I'm not that fond of Rudd, but at least he had ideas and the GFC to excuse his incompetence whereas Abbott is just completely reactionary and wants to raze everything to the ground.

It's pretty amazing, don't you think, this dichotomy between Labor being excellent economic managers and the Liberals just being totally ideological and incompetent.

The Economist endorsed them for a reason
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1308 on: May 09, 2014, 02:27:15 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2014, 02:36:38 AM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

A new Morgan poll has 88% of consumers (including 72% of Liberals) and 77% of businesses saying they do not feel the Budget will benefit them.

It seems the feeling, outside of economic dry land, is that the Government is massively overreaching and is risking everything on this Budget.

My friend, an economist who is generally favourable to Liberal ideas just said to me "this lot could give us our first recession in 23 years... something the GFC couldn't do"
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1309 on: May 09, 2014, 05:24:48 AM »

No time to elaborate, but Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters makes excellent recommendations regarding Senate voting: Optional Preferential, including for Above-the-Line voting. See Antony Green's blog for details.

Excellent is one reaction Tongue

In a proportional system, preferences should be exhausted just as much as in a single member constituency I reckon.

My own preference for change is to fill out every box above or every box below, although it would significantly raise spoiled ballots in the short term.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1310 on: May 09, 2014, 06:44:56 AM »

New ReachTEL national poll to be released tomorrow - has the ALP up 54-46 with the ALP primary at 40 and the Coalition on 38.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1311 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »

Coalition tanking.

Will this government only last one-term?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1312 on: May 09, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »

Majority support for the deficit levy?

Eh?Huh??
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1313 on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2014, 02:57:05 AM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

Majority support for the deficit levy?

Eh?Huh??

It's the way the question is phrased.

It's asking basically, do you support the wealthy paying more. The higher-end deficit tax is popular. The killer element though is that a plurality say that the Government instituting it would make them less likely to vote for the Coalition.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1314 on: May 10, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »

About 2 thirds of voters oppose raising the pension.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1315 on: May 12, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »

Essential Poll out today

Primary
LNP: 40%
ALP: 39%
GRN: 9%

TPP
LNP: 48%
ALP: 52%

Approval
Abbott: 35%
Shorten: 35%

Disapproval
Abbott: 55%
Shorten: 37%

Preferred PM
Abbott: 36%
Shorten: 37%
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1316 on: May 12, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »

How would you balance Australia's budget?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2014/may/09/budget-cuts-revenue-interactive
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1317 on: May 12, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »

You have saved:
$166b
And reduced the forecast deficit to:
-$62.3b
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1318 on: May 13, 2014, 05:07:10 AM »

Yay, universal healthcare is dead. How many young libs are rubbing one out right now at that?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1319 on: May 13, 2014, 06:04:09 AM »

Stolen from a friend on facebook:

"So, who are the winners and losers in this budget?

Winners: Um... well, maybe medical researchers, at least those who aren't part of the CSIRO?

Losers: Everyone, but particularly anyone under 30, anyone over 46, anyone with children, anyone who occasionally gets sick, anyone who is chronically ill, anyone in rural and regional Australia, anyone overseas, anyone who accesses the ABC in Australia or abroad, anyone who genuinely requires the pension to live, anyone who works in the Public service, anyone who benefits from the public service, anyone earning a 'higher' wage of $80,000 or more (unless they have a baby), anyone who wants to get a tertiary qualification, anyone who is of an indigenous or immigrant background, anyone who seeks asylum in Australia from repression and peril, anyone who lives in any local council in Australia, and, to share the pain, members of parliament whose pay is frozen (not by the government itself, though).

Which would be vaguely defensible if we had a bloated budget and an economy in crisis, but we simply do not have either. Surpluses are a good thing, sure, but is it worth it in this circumstance? Not even close."
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1320 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »

I was in lock-up feeling sick as I was reading it all.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1321 on: May 13, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »

I've decided I'm joining the ALP. They're useless, and I treasure my independence, but quite frankly I *have* to do something to ease my feeling of being entirely powerless in the face of this truly unbelievably bad government.

I'm not a lover of Labor at any level, and there are plenty of reasons not to join them, but quite frankly Tony Abbott and company are breaking my country and while I doubt Labor is actually a fix for anything I really can't think of any way I can engage without doing so.

Amusingly enough, I'm pretty much set on not voting for Labor in the state election, and I certainly won't be campaigning for them after joining up, but even though I personally think that state politics is at least as important as federal politics, the crumminess of the state ALP is absolutely nothing compared to the horror that is the federal coalition.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1322 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »

Wow, this appears to be an horrendous budget. I suppose we know what to expect when Abbott's Ontarian twin becomes Premier.

Ugh, the right continues to be horrible.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1323 on: May 13, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »

This budget is a ing mess. Not only is the deficit doubling, they're cutting and destroying some of our best policy. I mean they're actually cutting so much and they're still spending more than what Rudd would have.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1324 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »

I've yet to see anyone but the Gerald Sun attempting to defend it, and even they didn't try too hard.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies