Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:11:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 250462 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: June 29, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »

Why has Katter's Party evaporated since the last Queensland election?
Palmer had more money and probably more appeal to a wider range of Australians. Hence he sucked any oxygen Katter had and became the leading center-right populist (for lack of a better term) party.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1401 on: June 30, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »

Australia's probably the only anglophone nation that has party's named after their leaders, like Katter's Australian Party or Palmer United Party.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1402 on: June 30, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »

Newspoll

Primaries
LNP: 35% (-2)
ALP: 37% (+1)
GRN: 13% (+3)

TPP
LNP: 45% (-2)
ALP: 55% (+2)

Satisfaction
Abbott: 31% (+1)
Shorten: 34% (nc)

Dissatisfaction
Abbott: 62% (+1)
Shorten: 41% (-4)

Preferred PM
Abbott: 34% (-3)
Shorten: 44% (+4)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #1403 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »

Happy New Senate Day! PUP will literally be the wild card to the government's passing of any legislation.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1404 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »

Happy New Senate Day! PUP will literally be the wild card to the government's passing of any legislation.

God help us all...
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1405 on: July 01, 2014, 12:32:27 AM »

God help us all...

It's rather thrilling isn't it? Wink

Of course, God only knows what American Palmer will cart out next to talk about climate change. Ralph Nader, perhaps?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1406 on: July 04, 2014, 11:52:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/04/tony-abbott-says-australia-was-unsettled-before-british-arrived

What an ass.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1407 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:34 AM »

Can Shorten really become the PM in 2 years? I know Australia is really unprone to government changes and than Labor was heavilly defeated, but Abbott is really unpopular and gaffe-prone.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1408 on: July 05, 2014, 01:23:41 AM »

Can Shorten really become the PM in 2 years? I know Australia is really unprone to government changes and than Labor was heavilly defeated, but Abbott is really unpopular and gaffe-prone.

Abbott has never really been popular, it's just that Labor eventually became more unpopular than him for a long enough window for him to win the election.  That said, the Coalition has quite a healthy majority, but Australian changes of government are known to be achieved by very sizable swings (discounting Whitlam in '72). 

As we all know, it's really not possible to predict any outcome two years before an election, but I certainly think that Labor has established a real lead and if an election were held today they would come within a fair shot of winning, if not indeed achieving a majority.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1409 on: July 05, 2014, 03:27:27 AM »

Barnes basically hit the nail on the head... the ALP defeat in 2013 had virtually NOTHING to do with the alternative policies. If the ALP had its act together and not behaved like a more socially retarded version of high school.... they would have won 2010 and more than likely 2013 too.

I find it very odd that we are looking at a change of government in two years time, but this Government has been historic in how badly they've traveled as a first-term Government and Abbott in particular has been a disaster. This 'unsettled' comment is exactly the kind of self-inflicted wound that the government has been dealing with since almost day one.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I knew they'd pursue some terrible ideological policies... but I had no idea they'd be so terrible at it.

I would never predict a first-term Government to lose in Australia, but considering how badly they've ballsed up everything else, I don't know why I should be expecting them to do that right either.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1410 on: July 05, 2014, 05:59:03 AM »

It's not just that, Abbott's also going to drag state governments into the ground.

I mean, if it wasn't for Abbott (and Geoff Shaw) the Vic Libs should win the next election, it was a decent budget and no  first term Vic government since 1955 has only served one term but they're more than likely to lose EVEN with the favorable distributions they've received. I mean, in QLD a swing is understandable, but to the point Labor is even leading in the polls? This isn't just bad policies, it's horrific leadership internally and externally, they're just so off on the mindset of the average Australian.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1411 on: July 05, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »

Honestly, I'm not so sure that this government will be kicked out after one three year term. It's almost unprecedented. Despite what the polling suggests, I do not believe that enough people who voted Coalition  will all decide to vote Labor again. People are just too cautious.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1412 on: July 06, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »

I'd argue the idea that the VIC libs would be winning without Abbott... I certainly don't think he helps matters, but I think it's the difference between being down 3 or 4 or being down 10.

As for Abbott losing in two years, yes - it's a VERY VERY confident person who predicts a first-term Australian Government to lose, and I'm certainly not doing that. What I am saying is that this Government is the in the WORST position a first-term Government has been in, in the modern-era - they are badly regarded in historical terms.

So if any recent Government is going to be booted out in its first term, this lot seem prime candidates.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1413 on: July 07, 2014, 07:39:34 AM »

Is this the first time a government has received such bad international press?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1414 on: July 07, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »

Honestly... it would be close.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1415 on: July 07, 2014, 08:10:31 AM »

Honestly... it would be close.

Bush league.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1416 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »

The Governor of Tasmania, Peter Underwood, has died.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-08/tasmania-governor-peter-underwood-dies-aged-76/5580058
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1417 on: July 08, 2014, 04:31:47 AM »

Labor is currently sorting out preselections for the NSW Upper House elections next year, and it's been reported that both Amanda Fazio and Helen Westwood, two of the three most militant social liberals in the Labor caucus, have been ousted and so their careers will end next year. Cheesy
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1418 on: July 08, 2014, 12:19:17 PM »

Labor is currently sorting out preselections for the NSW Upper House elections next year, and it's been reported that both Amanda Fazio and Helen Westwood, two of the three most militant social liberals in the Labor caucus, have been ousted and so their careers will end next year. Cheesy

Can't you just focus on German politics? Like seriously,  off.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1419 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2014, 05:56:42 PM by Hifly »

Reporting my posts isn't going to help you because literally everyone who's paying attention knows about you. The fact that you did report it speaks volumes.
This post is not a Personal Attack.*

* it looks as if I'm going to have to post this clarification in every single one of my replies to you so you get the message. Also, is saying "**** off" to me not a personal attack?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1420 on: July 08, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »

Reporting my posts isn't going to help you because literally everyone who's paying attention knows about you. The fact that you did report it speaks volumes.

* it looks as if I'm going to have to post this clarification in every single one of my replies to you so you get the message. Also, is saying "**** off" to me not a personal attack?

Do you have any proof than he is the one who reported it? It might very well be something else.
Given than you attack him without proof, this is a unfunded personal attack.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1421 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »

What are you even talking about?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1422 on: July 09, 2014, 03:21:22 AM »

Can't you just focus on German politics? Like seriously,  off.

The only people made happy by these self-inflicted wounds are social regressives like Hifly.

It doesn't help the vote, at all, in fact, it hurts it and the ALP not going back to being a backwards party... despite the valiant attempts to lose elections from people like Hifly who want the party to be dragged back to the days of Santamaria.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1423 on: July 09, 2014, 03:43:24 AM »

Can't you just focus on German politics? Like seriously,  off.

The only people made happy by these self-inflicted wounds are social regressives like Hifly.

It doesn't help the vote, at all, in fact, it hurts it and the ALP not going back to being a backwards party... despite the valiant attempts to lose elections from people like Hifly who want the party to be dragged back to the days of Santamaria.

I don't how anyone could justify the inclusion of Amanda Fazio on the Labor ticket. She's been replaced by a talented young individual called Courtney Houssos from Country Labor. Only God knows why Fazio was Right Faction member because her stances on issues are quite extraordinary.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1424 on: July 09, 2014, 03:45:09 AM »

What are you even talking about?

Do you want me to repost the post you got deleted or is the topic too sensitive for you to handle?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies