Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 250526 times)
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »

RIP to a hero. The Guardian has good collection of images, tributes, etc., and even an article about the dismissal from 1975. I had no idea that Australia once had the highest level of unionism in the world.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1551 on: October 20, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »

A great man and a great Prime Minister. RIP
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #1552 on: October 20, 2014, 06:17:09 PM »

R.I.P.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1553 on: October 20, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »

Sad, but he was extremely old. Too much of a cliché to call him a flawed giant? He made some mistakes - good God did he make some mistakes - but in certain respects he made Australia a more civilised place. RIP.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1554 on: October 20, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »

To me the 1970s in generally the most fascinating decade to study politically in modern times right around the world.  For Australia, Gough Whitlam is the driving factor for that deep interest and fascination.

His government's reforms (whether or not one might approve of all of them) profoundly changed Australia and continue to have a deep impact on Australian daily life today.  He will be greatly missed.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1555 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »

RIP, FF.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1556 on: October 20, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »

RIP. Sad

He had a very short premiership, but he lived a long life and was by far the greatest Prime Minister of Australia.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1557 on: October 27, 2014, 01:07:23 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/protester-wears-ku-klux-klan-outfit-to-oppose-burqas-at-parliament-house-20141027-11ca5b.html

A group of men attempted to enter Parliament wearing a Ku Klux Klan Hat, a Motorcycle Helmet and a Niqab in an attempt to protest the recent overruling of a ban on the burqa being worn in public galleries in Parliament and the "Political Ideology of Islam".

BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1558 on: October 27, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/protester-wears-ku-klux-klan-outfit-to-oppose-burqas-at-parliament-house-20141027-11ca5b.html

A group of men attempted to enter Parliament wearing a Ku Klux Klan Hat, a Motorcycle Helmet and a Niqab in an attempt to protest the recent overruling of a ban on the burqa being worn in public galleries in Parliament and the "Political Ideology of Islam".

The growing intolerance for Islam in this country disturbs me greatly.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1559 on: October 27, 2014, 03:34:50 AM »

Indeed.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1560 on: October 27, 2014, 05:17:01 AM »

Indeed.
It should disturb anyone with half a heart.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1561 on: November 11, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »

Greens reforming internally, namely in forming a centralised Executive council. As with most internal reforms with the Australian Greens, this is causing some bickering and accusations of selling-out within the unruly NSW branch. (the NSW Greens are notoriously left-wing, and a constant source of anguish for people like Bob Brown and Christine Milne)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1562 on: November 12, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »

There's a fleet of Russian warships off the coast of Queensland ahead of the G20, and while I know I'm playing into various people's hands... I'm offended. Really offended. How dare Russia attempt to put fear into Australian hearts after our (generally idiotic) leaders refuse to roll over on the death of 38 of us after the plane was shot down.

Abbott, you pugilistic SOB, you now have my permission to eschew diplomacy and to shirtfront Putin in a way he won't forget.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1563 on: November 15, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2014, 05:24:43 PM by Governor Varavour »

There's a fleet of Russian warships off the coast of Queensland ahead of the G20, and while I know I'm playing into various people's hands... I'm offended. Really offended. How dare Russia attempt to put fear into Australian hearts after our (generally idiotic) leaders refuse to roll over on the death of 38 of us after the plane was shot down.

Abbott, you pugilistic SOB, you now have my permission to eschew diplomacy and to shirtfront Putin in a way he won't forget.

The shirt fronting has been delegated to the Koalas:

But Russian ships off of Australia- the hell?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1564 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:43 AM »

Animals are known good judges of character... neither want to be where they are.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1565 on: November 17, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »

Reg Withers has died at 90. RIP.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1566 on: November 23, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »

Dissident PUP Tasmania senator Jacqui Lambie leaves party to become indie.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1567 on: November 24, 2014, 01:32:06 AM »

Dissident PUP Tasmania senator Jacqui Lambie leaves party to become indie.
I wonder how much permanent damage this spat left on the Palmer brand long term.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1568 on: November 30, 2014, 05:30:40 AM »

I really can't fathom the Abbott governments strategy with this GP fee. Is it still a thing? Why is it being passed off as a budget-balancing matter if it is earmarked for medical research? Why does not nobody in government seem to know what the future of the fee is? Like all my bitching about Abbott aside, wtf is going on?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1569 on: December 01, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »

I really can't fathom the Abbott governments strategy with this GP fee. Is it still a thing? Why is it being passed off as a budget-balancing matter if it is earmarked for medical research? Why does not nobody in government seem to know what the future of the fee is? Like all my bitching about Abbott aside, wtf is going on?

That's kind of the problem... you have the PM's office briefing that it was being removed... then senior ministers seemingly having no idea what was going on.

This is Rudd all over again.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1570 on: December 01, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2014, 05:20:35 PM by CrabCake »

Both Palmer MP's in the Northern Territory quit the party and call it a disgrace. This means one of the them has now left three parties in her time in office.

Abbott has not had a great week by any account, with ministers and backbenchers contradicting each other on all sorts of issues, the Defence Minister cussing out an Australian submarine manufacturer, a brazenly weird attempt to deny that he promised no ABC cuts, ongoing attacks on his G20 stewardship and the premature sinking of the Victoria state Liberals. However, despite all that what made me laugh was in a discussion about nuclear power, Abbott announcing he was not "theologically opposed" to nuclear plants. What a weirdo  Smiley
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1571 on: December 01, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2014, 07:19:34 PM by You kip if you want to... »

Any sign of a spill against Newman in QLD? His numbers are shocking.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1572 on: December 01, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »

How long before Abbott gets knifed?

Although he's a liability, I tend to think that would do more harm than good at this stage.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1573 on: December 01, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »

I don't think he needs to go, but he urgently needs a reshuffle. Demote Johnston for his comments, Hockey for becoming toxic, Dutton for contradicting him and Pyne for rubbish messaging. Bring in some women, promote new backbenchers, clear all the dead wood and reward the few somewhat successful ministers in cabinet (like the Trade Minister, Morrison, and Bishop).
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1574 on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »

I really cannot see how the Liberals can keep Abbott until the next election, I mean he's a disaster and drags the government down so much. However, there only viable alternative is Bishop but she's so successful because she's been able to distance herself from the Libs. I feel like the Vic results have changed the game,  I mean it has really put all governments on notice. Campbell Newman must be incredibly nervous seeing those results and his numbers in polling despite the ridiculous amount of seats he holds.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies