Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:11:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 250380 times)
Hifly
hifly15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2150 on: June 06, 2015, 05:03:38 AM »

The union campaign at the next federal election is going to be massive. Bigger than 2007.

What makes you say this?

People I know who work for unions and campaign for unions, the way they're talking about what will happen during the election talking it up like it's their biggest campaign ever. It's noticeable in marginal electorates atm union campaigns are very active in Deakin atm and an election hasn't even been called. I was talking to a union guy this morning who basically summed up the campaign as "Vote for anyone but the Liberals".

What?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2151 on: June 06, 2015, 05:43:49 AM »

The union campaign at the next federal election is going to be massive. Bigger than 2007.

What makes you say this?

People I know who work for unions and campaign for unions, the way they're talking about what will happen during the election talking it up like it's their biggest campaign ever. It's noticeable in marginal electorates atm union campaigns are very active in Deakin atm and an election hasn't even been called. I was talking to a union guy this morning who basically summed up the campaign as "Vote for anyone but the Liberals".

I'm not seeing as much of this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2152 on: June 08, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »

Is New South Wales the Australian version of Florida?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33044098

At least bulldozer rampages usually only cause property damage.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2153 on: June 08, 2015, 10:47:31 PM »

Hockey manages to stuff up yet again. Apparently the answer to the housing affordability crisis in Sydney  is... people need to start getting higher paid jobs.

The answer was there all along.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2154 on: June 11, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »

Morris Iemma is apparently going to jump into federal politics. If only it were a different ex-Labor Premier... Sad

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/morris-iemma-sets-sights-on-federal-parliament-with-run-for-barton-seat-20150601-ghe8i8.html
warandwar
United States

« Reply #2155 on: June 12, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »

What is wrong with this person?

(I guess it's not out and out proven that the traffickers were paid off, but I don't see why Abbott would respond the way he did if they weren't.)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2156 on: June 14, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »

'Stop the boats' is possibly the Abbott's governments only popular 'victory'. He cannot sully that, and the Liberals dependence on overly simplified sloganeering has left no room for nuance.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2157 on: June 14, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott's obsession with boats and national security in general might be what destroys him.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #2158 on: June 14, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »

I mean they haven't 'stopped they boats' they've paid people to turn around.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2159 on: June 14, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »

Good news for people smugglers - come to Australia to collect your paycheck! Smiley
Knives
solopop
« Reply #2160 on: June 15, 2015, 10:31:18 PM »

I just can't with Australian immigration politics. Sad
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2161 on: June 15, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »

Guys, it's time to roll Shorten.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/2015/06/15/newspoll-51-49-to-labor-6/

His approval is 28% and his disapproval is 54%. o_o
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2162 on: June 15, 2015, 10:50:24 PM »

In other news, that was also the last Newspoll ever. Sad

From now on, Galaxy will be doing the polls.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2163 on: June 15, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »

And on Ipsos he's back ahead of Abbott as PPM. Something for everyone.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2164 on: June 16, 2015, 05:01:51 AM »

Labor is pretty much stuck with Shorten unless he resigns under these new rules imposed by Rudd.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2165 on: June 16, 2015, 05:50:17 AM »

Could the upcoming Royal Commission roll him or is that all going to be hot air?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2166 on: June 16, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »

Could the upcoming Royal Commission roll him or is that all going to be hot air?

my prediction atm is hot air, from what I've seen so far.  Right now I'm still coming to terms with the fact that the Labor party that I once championed myself was also guilty of paying people smugglers.  Jeeeesus christ.

Tonight a deal was announced by the govt with the Greens, btw, for $2.4 billion in savings by making cuts to pensions for the wealthiest, with increases for lower income brackets.  A pleasant surprise.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #2167 on: June 16, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »

I don't agree with the changes to the pension and I'm surprised the Greens do.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2168 on: June 16, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »

The Greens have been dudded. Their support was based on a vague idea of considering superannuation in the tax white paper. The Government has said there will be no changes in this, or the next term. So they're including it, with no specific actions behind them.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #2169 on: June 16, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »

Also, with the Greens PV increasing in the past weeks they've given ammo to Labor by linking the Greens to the Libs, it doesn't make sense politically or economically.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2170 on: June 16, 2015, 10:57:26 PM »

The Greens have been dudded. Their support was based on a vague idea of considering superannuation in the tax white paper. The Government has said there will be no changes in this, or the next term. So they're including it, with no specific actions behind them.

I dunno about that, the Government has generally lied a lot about virtually everything already, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were pension cuts in a post-election budget

Also, with the Greens PV increasing in the past weeks they've given ammo to Labor by linking the Greens to the Libs, it doesn't make sense politically or economically.

This is purely speculation, but my (admittedly biased) take is that the Greens can probably use an example of collaboration with the government, and I supported the changes without realising the super commitment was even a part of it, so the usefulness of that promise isn't super relevant to me.  The Greens are launching a full scale attack on both major parties over treatment of refugees and it helps to provide another issue where there appears to be strong disagreement with Labor, I suppose.  Who knows though really.  Why do you disagree with the pension changes?
Knives
solopop
« Reply #2171 on: June 17, 2015, 12:34:45 AM »

I don't support the changes because they aren't fair. A person who own their own home and has like 400k in invested will lose access to the pension when their super would pay out at most 20k a year. A for what? Some will get $30 an extra every fortnight and govt will save 2.5billion - it doesn't really seem all that 'fair' to me. People who have worked their entire lives with the assumption that they will have a part pension to support them are having the rug pulled out from under them. As well as this, there are more obvious and fairer savings that could have been made and the Greens support this under the assumption that the Govt will work on Super reforms but that just isn't going to happen.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2172 on: June 18, 2015, 02:37:15 AM »

I don't support the changes because they aren't fair. A person who own their own home and has like 400k in invested will lose access to the pension when their super would pay out at most 20k a year. A for what? Some will get $30 an extra every fortnight and govt will save 2.5billion - it doesn't really seem all that 'fair' to me. People who have worked their entire lives with the assumption that they will have a part pension to support them are having the rug pulled out from under them.

The more I hear this line of reasoning the more alienated I feel.  Was watching Question Time yesterday and was not enjoying the way Labor is handling this at all.  The price of homes being what they are, we'll never be able to afford a house here; we don't entertain it as a serious concept.  If you own a home and have 400k invested, good for you, I hold no animosity towards you, but I also don't think you're really being hard done by.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #2173 on: June 18, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »

I don't support the changes because they aren't fair. A person who own their own home and has like 400k in invested will lose access to the pension when their super would pay out at most 20k a year. A for what? Some will get $30 an extra every fortnight and govt will save 2.5billion - it doesn't really seem all that 'fair' to me. People who have worked their entire lives with the assumption that they will have a part pension to support them are having the rug pulled out from under them.

The more I hear this line of reasoning the more alienated I feel.  Was watching Question Time yesterday and was not enjoying the way Labor is handling this at all.  The price of homes being what they are, we'll never be able to afford a house here; we don't entertain it as a serious concept.  If you own a home and have 400k invested, good for you, I hold no animosity towards you, but I also don't think you're really being hard done by.

It's not necessarily hard done by, it's just if you want to be fair as the Greens are claiming, this isn't what needs to be done. There are countless more effective and fairer changes that could have happened if the Greens hadn't given in - the changes probably wouldn't have passed otherwise forcing the Govt to look elsewhere. And people keep claiming that they're clamping down in assets but this affects anyone with a superannuation for couples if they hold about 280k in super they'll see their pension cut which is literally countless people who are not as the Greens claim 'rich'. A super at that size is unable to sustain a couple for their retirement and now they're having what would make them capable of living a decent life cut. It;s ing over the middle class essentially whereas there are countless saving things that could be done to affect those that are actually rich.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2174 on: June 20, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »

Is it true that in order to join the Labor Party one must also join a union?
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies