Australia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:58:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 250651 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: August 27, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »

Joe Hockey is setting up a Parliamentary Friendship Group with Labor's Katy Gallagher about the push for an Australian Republic.

Very interesting to see Hockey make such a public push for this now, but also encouraging from the point of view of the republican movement and the momentum that its been trying to build as of late.

Disgusting. Hope he's sacked.

...Most (or at least a strong minority) of high-profile Liberals are republicans, including Julie Bishop and Malcolm Turnbull. This was the case in the Howard years too, with individuals like Peter Costello being self-professed Republicans.

Unfortunately it seems like it'll be a very long time before a republic comes into being. Sad

Well Shorten is trying to fire up the energy within Labor again.

I think it will be within the next decade.

I think 20
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2326 on: August 28, 2015, 07:28:19 AM »

The gift that keeps on giving... and this one you can't immediately blame on Captain CockUp (although the chest-thumping BS is all from him).
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2327 on: August 28, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »

The gift that keeps on giving... and this one you can't immediately blame on Captain CockUp (although the chest-thumping BS is all from him).

Yeah, this whole affair was fairly...bungled, putting it mildly. 
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2328 on: August 31, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »

Denis Napthine is stepping down from the Victorian Parliament.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2329 on: August 31, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »

Yeah, it's going to be an interesting by-election me thinks.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2330 on: August 31, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »

Yeah, it's going to be an interesting by-election me thinks.

I posted an article in the by-elections thread that postulates a strong challenge from the Nationals.  They certainly need some kind of momentum after the drubbing they were given at the state election.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2331 on: August 31, 2015, 12:37:10 AM »

In other news, Dyson Heydon has decided to not step down from the Royal Commission, so that little show goes on for a while more.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2332 on: August 31, 2015, 05:12:12 AM »

In other news, Dyson Heydon has decided to not step down from the Royal Commission, so that little show goes on for a while more.

Given what happened with Bronwyn, you'd think the Coalition would accept the need for swift conclusions to scandals when they appear. Apparently not.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2333 on: September 02, 2015, 01:42:49 AM »

Tony Windsor is getting ready to contest New England against Barnaby. Windsor knows the vibe of his electorate better than anyone. This is going to be deeply entertaining.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #2334 on: September 02, 2015, 03:21:50 AM »

The slow slide to recession continues and all Hockey wants to talk about is CHAFTA and tax cuts - ing morons.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2335 on: September 02, 2015, 10:46:19 AM »

Tony Windsor is getting ready to contest New England against Barnaby. Windsor knows the vibe of his electorate better than anyone. This is going to be deeply entertaining.

I will have to put New England back on my list of must-watch seats.  These country seats that are slipping away from having the Coalition as the only dominate force and electing mainly independents (Indi, New England, Shepparton in Victoria) are really interesting to me.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2336 on: September 02, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »

The two large West Australian outback seats should be interesting to see if the renegade Nationals make it. They were quite close in '13 in a very anti-independent atmosphere.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2337 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:15 AM »

My favourite type of gaffe: politician's conversation picked up by accidental mic:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-11/dutton-overheard-joking-about-sea-levels-in-pacific-islands/6768324
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2338 on: September 11, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »

Hahaha, I love this kind of gaffe too. Gordon Brown remains the uncontested leader in that competition. This one is potentially damaging in foreign relations though.

(What happened to your name, CrabCake? :/ Time to download a virus scanner! This is the worst...)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2339 on: September 11, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »

Oh I was drunk and thought it would be funny
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2340 on: September 11, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »

The government just can't get anything right. They had a relatively good week, only for this leak of a purported Cabinet reshuffle and the resulting leadership speculation on Friday.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2341 on: September 11, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »

It certainly feels like the wheels are coming off the donkey cart again.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2342 on: September 12, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/leadership-challenge-against-pm-tony-abbott-by-malcolm-turnbull-inevitable-liberal-mps-say/story-fnii5s3x-1227524449616

Is it finally going to happen? I'll still believe it when I see it, considering how that phantom challenge back in February went.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2343 on: September 12, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »

I've always thought that Turnbull never really stopped stalking Abbott, but knew that last February was just too soon. 

If they move before Canning, I would be surprised, but not shocked.  I see a challenge and a likely Turnbull victory by the end of the year at the latest.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2344 on: September 12, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »

I still suspect there's a large section of the Liberal Party who have a 'anyone but Turnbull' attitude, who'd be more willing to put up Bishop or Morrison as Leader. Then again, I've read recently that even conservatives in the party are coming around to him as the only one who can save the government. That's what desperation does I guess.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2345 on: September 13, 2015, 04:54:00 AM »

This could well be a deeply entertaining week.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2346 on: September 13, 2015, 05:21:14 AM »

There is some speculation that Turnbull backers want to launch the challenge before the by-election, although my instinct would think that's premature.

However, after this week the Parliament does not sit for another three weeks. Would the Liberals need to wait that long to have a leadership spill, or can an emergency meeting be called in-between parliamentary sittings?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2347 on: September 13, 2015, 07:32:01 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 07:43:42 AM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

There is some speculation that Turnbull backers want to launch the challenge before the by-election, although my instinct would think that's premature.

However, after this week the Parliament does not sit for another three weeks. Would the Liberals need to wait that long to have a leadership spill, or can an emergency meeting be called in-between parliamentary sittings?

The timing is the issue here. It's a calculated risk, to a significant degree. If they think a shift to Turnbull would save some embarrassment and mitigate the swing in Canning (as well as the perceived other benefits)... worth the risk of looking chaotic.

The timing of a special party meeting is the prerogative of the leader. If Abbott wants more time to work the numbers and his support, then he's completely within his rights to not hold a special meeting (claiming the cost to the taxpayers of bringing everyone in was not worth it) and say that it can surely wait. Noting the way he handled the February spill motion - some people argued that Abbott should have declared the leadership vacant and called the spill himself, rather than forcing them to bring it on and therefore weakening him as his actual position wasn't actually tested.

I feel he would have equal magnanimity in this situation. He would force those who wish to take him on to do what he did in 2009, resign from the front-bench, show their cards, then call for the spill. Part of his calculations would be exactly what you're suggesting... this week is probably too soon but, as has in the past, will the momentum abate once Canning is over with?

Also, don't forget that the rumours running around town that Abbott may pull a Newman and call an early-election after Canning, before those around him can push him off the cliff. The point about this scenario is that it is being considered as something that could legitimately happen. That's the other element driving the idea of a spill this week. To ensure that Abbott doesn't force them over the cliff with him, a la Newman.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2348 on: September 13, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »

Leading on from what Polnut posted above, the Sydney Morning Herald has a story out claiming that Turnbull's backers are trying to convince him to challenge this week.

There's a growing belief among the rebels that Abbott will call an early election to sideline them even if it means a certain electoral defeat. 

Now, like all stories that swirl around leadership spills I take that with a heavy dosing of skepticism, but to quote one anonymous Liberal MP about Abbott: "he's crazy enough to do it."
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2349 on: September 13, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »

Recent Australian history has shown that incumbency is no longer enough for first-term governments to get reelected on. He would really have to be insane to go to an election with this kind of polling.

Does he even have a trigger for a double dissolution though?
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies