Australia General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:39:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 252492 times)
Mordecai
Australia

« on: March 18, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »

I remember getting one in the mail last year but I threw it away. If I get another I'll probably keep it just for a souvenir.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »

So... the Government continues to dive to depths of horrible even I didn't think possible.

* Abbott (without Cabinet or Party Room consultation or approval) has decided to re-instate the ranks of Knight and Dame of the Order of Australia. Something the Hawke Government removed in 1986 and John Howard in 11 years refused to touch. In fact, John Howard made a comment today that he disagrees with the decision and sees it as "slightly anachronistic" and said he would refuse a Knighthood if offered... that's correct, John Howard is more in touch with modern Australia than Tony Abbott.

* The Institute of Public Affairs wishlist of horrid continues to be ticked off, with the Attorney General presenting a watering down of the Racial Discrimination Act. He argued in Parliament that people have the "right to be bigots" and have removed specific wording including the terms "offend, insult and humiliate" they left "intimidate" and added "vilify" ... so essentially only the worst examples of public racial discrimination where someone felt physically threatened was referred to in an abusive manner would be considered for prosecution. And this was a watered down version of a more extreme change that Brandis took to Cabinet.

* The actively partisan way in which the Speaker has been doing her job has been raising the ire of even the most loyal Coalition supporter. Even PVO has been highly critical suggesting that she needs to pull her head in and display even a veneer of impartiality (which is all you ever really expect from the Speaker) or she needs to go.

I remember thinking how awful the next three years were going to be on election night last year, but I severely underestimated their capacity to be nasty just for the sake of it. Paul Keating was dead right, Tony Abbott really is the poor man's John Howard. No policy ambition whatsoever.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »

He's a union boss. Uggh. Still voting 1 Labor.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:40:02 AM »

Is their a chance Malcolm Turnbull could be leading the Liberals into the next election? Especially if Abbott can't force through the Carbon Tax repeal in the new parliament.

It seems that for a third time consecutively in Australia a Prime Minister will be traumatically damaged over a botched tax introduction.

I'm salivating at the thought but I don't think so. It would invite some really unflattering comparisons to Rudd-Gillard and probably damage their credibility more than if they just stuck by Abbott.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »

Is their a chance Malcolm Turnbull could be leading the Liberals into the next election? Especially if Abbott can't force through the Carbon Tax repeal in the new parliament.

It seems that for a third time consecutively in Australia a Prime Minister will be traumatically damaged over a botched tax introduction.

I'm salivating at the thought but I don't think so. It would invite some really unflattering comparisons to Rudd-Gillard and probably damage their credibility more than if they just stuck by Abbott.

The funny thing is, I'm seeing Abbott more and more like Rudd. Basically, there's not a huge personal base of loyalty. They were loyal to him because his strategy put them close to Government, then into Government.

But if things consistently go wrong, I can see that support evaporating.

That is a pretty funny parallel. I'm not that fond of Rudd, but at least he had ideas and the GFC to excuse his incompetence whereas Abbott is just completely reactionary and wants to raze everything to the ground.

On probably one of the worst gut-punches from the Coalition's base - corporate confidence in the Government collapses since election. They cite unnecessary austerity measures putting pressure on household and corporate spending.

Economists also expect a 'wave' of unemployment triggered by cuts in public spending. 

It's pretty amazing, don't you think, this dichotomy between Labor being excellent economic managers and the Liberals just being totally ideological and incompetent.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2014, 12:34:42 PM by Mordecai »

$5.90b - Don't raise defence spending
+ $5.40b - Cut fighter jet purchase
+ $4.00b - Tax private trusts
+ $9.10b - Keep carbon price, scrap direct action
+ $8.80b - Scrap proposed paid parental leave scheme
+ $8.00b - Pharmaceuticals spending reform
+ $74.60b - Broaden the GST
= $116b savings, $11.9b forecast surplus

Didn't want to broaden the GST but I did it to get over the line and so I wouldn't have to cut anything else. If I had to do anything else I would go with fuel price indexation and halve diesel fuel rebates. The debt levy (lol) might have been ok if it was only on people making over $180,000 instead of starting at $80,000.

I was in lock-up feeling sick as I was reading it all.

I was watching Joe Hockey's interview on television and felt the bile rising into my throat as soon as Oakes asked him about dancing to Best Day of My Life in his office. This and the cigar-smoking thing is basically a caricature of conservatism come to life.

I've decided I'm joining the ALP. They're useless, and I treasure my independence, but quite frankly I *have* to do something to ease my feeling of being entirely powerless in the face of this truly unbelievably bad government.

I'm not a lover of Labor at any level, and there are plenty of reasons not to join them, but quite frankly Tony Abbott and company are breaking my country and while I doubt Labor is actually a fix for anything I really can't think of any way I can engage without doing so.

Amusingly enough, I'm pretty much set on not voting for Labor in the state election, and I certainly won't be campaigning for them after joining up, but even though I personally think that state politics is at least as important as federal politics, the crumminess of the state ALP is absolutely nothing compared to the horror that is the federal coalition.

Is it the political faction in-fighting you hate about the ALP? Overall, their policies actually seem pretty good to me.

Edit:

At least they aren't proposing to solve the deficit with a tax cut as some here would do.

Granted, but it's taken until like... the last few weeks for the Government to acknowledge that there is as big an issue with revenue (if not a bigger one) than spending. Because they've been outright lying about the nature of our public spending... saying it's exploding, when its not - saying our pension system is unsustainable, when studies show it to be the most stable and sustainable in the world... the issue is revenue.

But as Joe Hockey (ie about beat John Howard as the worst Treasurer we've ever had) continues to ignore - had revenues from 2006-7 been maintained, we'd have a Budget surplus. But the combination of the GFC (which conservatives all of the world seem to forget ever happened), the increased value over than time of the Australian dollar and the instability of our trading partners... Government revenues have dropped.

Bottom-line, there is no Budget emergency we could make fewer drastic changes, keep the cuts the former Government put in place, and they could claim credit for a track to surplus and start paying down the debt in 4-6 years.

And don't forget they keep talking about the "Labor debt", incurred as a result of trying to keep our economy above water. I mean for goodness sake Labor only had government right before the sh*t hit the fan and right after the crisis ended. I really hate when I talk to people and they say both sides are the same or that Rudd and Gillard did a terrible job. Or criticism of the carbon tax and the mining tax. Uggh.

And there's the possibility the Coalition could needlessly cause a contraction with the budget cuts and tax hikes and drag us right into recession. If that does happen they will probably blame that on Labor too and the idiots will believe it because they didn't have "surplus".
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »

Pyne tried to get Bishop to stand up to halt the applause for Shorten, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKCHnIozGTE
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »

I think Turnbull is open to a double-dissolution... not so much the Government.

It's probably his last chance at being Prime Minister, but I don't think Abbott's that stupid.

The thing I don't understand about Abbott's plan is that this budget is largely impossible to pass.

Most of the major reforms and cuts will be dead in the water, in this Senate or the next  - sans the fuel rax rise with Greens support; perhaps the debt levy if Labor end up supporting it and the mining and carbon tax repeals if Abbott does the dance of the seven veils for Palmer.

So surely Abbott has just pissed everyone off for no real gain...

Maybe he deliberately overreached with such a far-right wing budget so that the compromise he thinks he'll get will be what he actually wanted all along. Also, maybe he thinks that he's better off being unpopular right now and that he can count on increased popularity down the road in two years, when he thinks the economy will pick up again.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »

Good riddance.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 10:57:02 PM »

Can anyone explain Christopher Pyne's voice?

He's an asshole.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »

RIP. Sad

He had a very short premiership, but he lived a long life and was by far the greatest Prime Minister of Australia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies