Australia General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:48:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 251955 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 10, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »
« edited: March 10, 2013, 10:25:26 PM by Mr. Morden »

Also you must note, WA is not anything like the rest of the country atm.

What makes Western Australia so different from, say, South Australia?  Especially once they start fully exploiting their own fossil fuels for export?  

Well, for starters, look at the "per capita" numbers in this table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_states_and_territories_by_gross_state_product

EDIT: Actually, it's kind of funny how in Australia, per capita GDP is positively correlated with the state voting for the more conservative party, while in the USA, it's negatively correlated with the state voting for the more conservative party.

Of course, as Andrew Gelman would tell you, while the poor states vote Republican in the USA, it's actually the richer people in those poor states who are the ones backing Republicans.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »

The Coalition's support really has little to do with them... and they know it.

This has traditionally been true in Australian politics at both state and federal levels. It's the old saying that oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them.

Isn't that pretty much the case everywhere in the world?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

ABC's giving live updates on the most recent developments on their blog:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-21/4586250
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »

Bookies now strongly favor Rudd over Gillard on odds of winning the leadership ballot (might be different by the time you read this, since events are moving fast):

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/politics?LeftNav
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »

As I mentioned, I find it strange the Coalition is trying to call again for an early election... you'd think if they were so sure Gillard was political dead-woman walking... you'd want to keep her on for as long as possible.

I don't think they want to risk a more secure and stable Gillard being able to get traction... There's no way a no-confidence motion passes... so the election will be in September, and you get the feeling the Coalition doesn't want that.

They want an election now because they'll win if it's held now.  They'll probably win if it's held in September too, but there's at least a chance that something happens between now and then that changes voters' minds.  So why take that risk, if they can avoid it?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »

How weak is the Prime Minister of Australia as a post? It seems very small compared to the UK for example...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21863630?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcworld&buffer_share=6a416&utm_source=buffer

That shows some of the glaring differences between Aus and the UK in terms of the strength of party leaders.

I only skimmed through that article, but it looks like it ignores the actual structural reason for why such coups are common here: A party leadership election can be called at any time for any reason, and it can all be resolved within a few hours.  Changing party leaders in the UK is a lengthier process, is it not?  I don't recall either Cameron or Miliband taking over mere hours after their respective predecessors announced that they were stepping down.

I can only imagine the drama that would have been unfolding for the last several years between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama if the US had something like the system in Australia.  Bob Woodward surely would have been able to get at least two books out of it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:12:06 AM »

So after the bloodbath of resignations in the Cabinet, who is the current favorite to succeed Rudd as ALP leader if the party still loses badly in the election?  I presume folks like Combet still might come back and contest the leadership in three months?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:04:04 AM »

Is Wayne Swan retiring from politics altogether and not contesting his seat again?  I've heard contradictory things today.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »

Greg Combet is retiring from politics altogether:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1783804/Greg-Combet-to-retire-from-politics

With all the retirements from anti-Rudd MPs, does Rudd actually stand a good chance of hanging on as ALP leader after the likely Coalition win in the election?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 03:43:23 AM »

What if Labor actually *wins* the election?  I assume that Abbott is then toast as Liberal leader?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »

If Labor were to win 76 seats and Abbott did step down, who might replace him?

I would guess Joe Hockey or Malcolm Turnbull.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "econodry"?  I tried googling "Julie Bishop econodry", but all it gave me were links to Atlas posts by RogueBeaver.  Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 03:52:58 AM »

Overthrowing party leaders seem to be extremely easy, and unusually common, in the Australian system. Have their ever been any proposals to reform the rules (i.e., requring a full conference, party members vote, or simillar, rather than jut a majority of MPs)?.

Labor reformed their rules around the time of the last election, so that it's much harder to depose a leader, and the choice is made with input by the wider party membership now.  But the Liberals are still using the same old system, where basically any MP can call a leadership vote at any time for any reason.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 01:58:13 AM »

Talk about going back to the future.

Random tangent: When did people start using the phrase "back to the future" to mean "back to the past"?  When the movie came out 30 years ago?  I've noticed its usage in that sense (usually by journalists writing headlines) more and more in recent years.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 02:40:27 AM »

I can't believe next year Bill Shorten will be PM, simply astounding.

Isn't there a decent chance that Abbott is couped later this year, and the government then wins back enough support under Turnbull (or whoever) to win reelection?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »

The betting markets also have Turnbull as the favorite to be PM at the next election, and the Coalition (very narrowly) comes in as a favorite to win it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 01:38:22 AM »

What are people's thoughts now on the probability of Abbott being ousted within the next year (before an election)?  Back in February, we had this exchange:

I can't believe next year Bill Shorten will be PM, simply astounding.

Isn't there a decent chance that Abbott is couped later this year, and the government then wins back enough support under Turnbull (or whoever) to win reelection?

That is my current prediction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies