Australia General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:05:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 252893 times)
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »

RIP to a hero. The Guardian has good collection of images, tributes, etc., and even an article about the dismissal from 1975. I had no idea that Australia once had the highest level of unionism in the world.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:52:55 PM »

Any sign of a spill against Newman in QLD? His numbers are shocking.

I can't think of anyone with a high enough profile to replace him. He's actually gone up in the polls recently, though, as the result of his new strategy where he avoids appearing in the news as much as possible.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 07:28:10 AM »

These Abbott morning show interviews I'm seeing lately are hilarious.  From today.

It's amazing that Kochie and Karl Stefanovic of all people are managing to fluster Abbott, considering that they're both basically national jokes.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »

The Sydney Morning Herald says that it is a Shahada Flag, or a general expression of faith in Islam. It's apparently been associated with various groups, so there isn't really enough information to attribute it to any one in particular.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »

It must be awful to have family in such a situation and not be able to contact them. I hope you get in touch soon and that your aunt and her husband aren't in any danger.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 07:16:54 PM by beatrice »

So it looks like the cabinet reshuffle is happening. ABC thinks that Sinodinos will be replaced by Josh Frydenberg, current Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister, and Sussan Ley will be promoted into cabinet.

I'm leaning towards thinking that there might be a further reshuffle.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »

So it looks like the cabinet reshuffle is happening.
The reports are that David Johnston will be dumped from the Defence position, to be replaced by Scott Morrison. Who will replace Scott Morrison is not clear.

I hadn't heard about Morrison being moved into defence, but given the rumours about him being given a better position, it seems very likely. I'm very interested to see who will replace him in Immigration.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »

Didn't she perform without competing? I think we should be able to compete, personally. Still, it's a start.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »

I do think we should compete... as a reward for a our decades of support.

Exactly. I feel like we're more loyal to it than some of the countries that actually compete. And we have a European head of state so it's sort of ... plausible.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:05:24 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2015, 07:22:53 PM by beatrice »

Has anyone seen this website (the Atlas of NSW)? I just stumbled upon it today and it has NSW election maps dating back to 1858.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »

Well, I heard their hard-right rhetoric, so I assumed the actions went into that direction.

They haven't gotten all that much done though since they don't control the Upper House.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 06:28:07 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-government-mps-furious-over-prime-ministers-decision-to-make-prince-philip-a-knight-20150126-12y95q.html

This is a gift that keeps on giving.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »

Based on Shorten's performance on Insiders he just sort of pleaded ignorance of the internal struggles of the LNP and stressed that changing leaders wouldn't change the underlying problem - that people didn't like their policies.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 05:52:46 AM »

That article in the Australian had a "senior liberal MP" who had publicly supported Abbott through the last spill suggest that Turnbull would soon be leader. I can't see him being leader at the next election after this.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:14:03 PM »

I thought he was in pretty good health, so this has come as a bit of a shock. Huh.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »

Apparently Robbie Katter's threatening to withdraw support because of the scandal. Ugh.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies