Australia General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:02:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 252275 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: November 27, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »

I'm not sure why the assumption seems to be that the Nationals are strong in the most conservative states. My impression of the Nationals is not as more conservative than the Liberals, just more rural. They'd probably win some of the Plains and Mountains (The Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho) and be nonexistent elsewhere, except Alaska and Montana (though I agree with Gully on those being ALP). I suppose Hugh takes a similar view of this but expands where he thinks is rural enough for the Nationals to be competitive.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »

Not surprising at all. The Nationals are doomed by political tides even if not demographic ones; whenever a Nationals MP retires, the Liberals often put up a candidate as well, and more often than not the Liberals take the seat. There's little loyalty to the Nationals as a party over the Liberals.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:32:39 PM »

I had to pinch myself before I remembered that we were talking about Australia.

Most likely, the Gippsland result was voters voting for the Nats because they didn't see any reason to do otherwise. Unlike in a general election, this vote wasn't going to affect who formed the next government. I suppose the Nats should just breathe a sigh of relief that it was they and not the Liberals who made it to the 2PP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies