Australia General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:51:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 252147 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:59 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24766867-29277,00.html

Australia to have a new (or does "new" imply there's an "old" one?) political tv channel. A-Span, modelled on C-Span.

C doesn't mean Congress or United States. That means Cable. They can't translate the C in A.

Australia-Satellite Public Affairs Network?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:26:11 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24766867-29277,00.html

Australia to have a new (or does "new" imply there's an "old" one?) political tv channel. A-Span, modelled on C-Span.

C doesn't mean Congress or United States. That means Cable. They can't translate the C in A.

Australia-Satellite Public Affairs Network?

And even if it did mean Congress then they should've called it "P-SPAN".

True. Why not APN?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:54:33 AM »

Who is Wavering? Is he a current minister?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 04:02:53 AM »

Oh. I'll lacking sleep I think.
So, it's looks like Democratic Party in US, or Liberals in recent years in Canada.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:39:04 AM »

That video is all over my facebook feed... from Canadians

Same thing from my NDP friends.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:58:56 AM »

I really doubt than going from Gillard to Rudd would make Labor go from 48 to 56. It's a major change, which is doubtful.

Still, it should give hope to Labor, as voters don't seem to be in love with the Coalition, far from it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »

Does how things went is good or bad for Labor?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »

Pauline Hanson?
That Pauline?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »

I'll still take the one which isn't a crazy fundamentalist.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 05:11:34 AM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "econodry"?  I tried googling "Julie Bishop econodry", but all it gave me were links to Atlas posts by RogueBeaver.  Tongue

An hardliner. A left-winger could say they are dry because all compassion dried up and became paws for expanding neoliberalism and destroy the social net, but it would be a bit exagerated.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »

With God's blessing, Yvette D'Ath will win this (and comfortably)!

If the ALP can't win this seat back, regardless of the candidate, they might as well give up.

Wel, it's because of GAY MARRIAGE, GAY MARRIAGE, GAY MARRIAGE!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »

I suppose ICAC and drinking laws wouldn't help, but a 28 point swing? Really?

I have seen a swing of that mangnitude in Quebec, but, it's Quebec. It shouldn't be used to forecast or explain or compare to anywhere else.

Still, I think it's may be a sign than 10 years + governments aren't happening anymore in Australia.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 02:31:42 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2014, 02:41:57 AM by MaxQue »

Last poll having Liberals leading was in June 2013.

However, the Labor has an issue with retiring MLAs. Labor has 8, Coalition has 6.
5 of the retiring Labor MLAs are in marginal seats (Oakleigh, Macedon, Ripon, Essendon and Geelong), the three safe ones being Yuroke, Pascoe Vale and Dandenong. All coalition seats with retiring MLAs are safe or ultra-safe (Bulleen, Kew and Bass for the Liberals, Lowan, Shepparton and Benalla for the Nationals).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 04:06:40 AM »

Labor may have effectively already lost Macedon by parachuting in an outsider left wing candidate who doesn't have any support in the local branches (90% of local members signed a petition against her and sent it off to the admin. committee) and they're refusing to campaign for her.

The issue isn't than the candidate is left-wing. It's than the left and right factions divide the seats between them and the candidate than the local branch selected belongs is opposed to factions. So, both factions opposed it. It's more a pro-factions/pro-members fight.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 04:24:01 AM »

Labor may have effectively already lost Macedon by parachuting in an outsider left wing candidate who doesn't have any support in the local branches (90% of local members signed a petition against her and sent it off to the admin. committee) and they're refusing to campaign for her.

The issue isn't than the candidate is left-wing. It's than the left and right factions divide the seats between them and the candidate than the local branch selected belongs is opposed to factions. So, both factions opposed it. It's more a pro-factions/pro-members fight.

Christian Zahra (who has 90% support in local branches) is a right faction member. The seat is assigned to the left faction, which meant the admin committee imposed a left wing candidate on the locals who has no support, and they've made a massive public fuss over it. Thomas is the woman to lose the seat.

I'm aware, but the right-wing faction leaders aren't supporting Zahra either (it would endanger the division pact and I don't think they want someone they can't control as MLA. Even if he is a member of the right faction, his willingness to challenge the decisions of the factions is making him much less interesting for the right faction. Both factions want easily controllable members and Zahra isn't).

The initial issue was left vs. right, but it's not anymore. It's central factions vs. local branches, now. But we agree than this will do a great disservice to Thomas, sure. And, honestly, it's a good thing. Errors like that are the only way to erode the power of the factions.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »

Can we already stick a fork in the Coalition?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »

The thing I don't understand about Abbott's plan is that this budget is largely impossible to pass.

Most of the major reforms and cuts will be dead in the water, in this Senate or the next  - sans the fuel rax rise with Greens support; perhaps the debt levy if Labor end up supporting it and the mining and carbon tax repeals if Abbott does the dance of the seven veils for Palmer.

So surely Abbott has just pissed everyone off for no real gain...

Theorically, couldn't he call a double dissolution to get a more friendly Senate (in theory, since, right now, it would be suicidal from them)?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »

The Western Australia Labor Party has voted unanimously to expel Martin Ferguson from the party. Martin Ferguson is not happy.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/23681651/wa-labor-a-national-disgrace

People are usually never happy to be expelled.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:34 AM »

Can Shorten really become the PM in 2 years? I know Australia is really unprone to government changes and than Labor was heavilly defeated, but Abbott is really unpopular and gaffe-prone.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »

Labor is currently sorting out preselections for the NSW Upper House elections next year, and it's been reported that both Amanda Fazio and Helen Westwood, two of the three most militant social liberals in the Labor caucus, have been ousted and so their careers will end next year. Cheesy

Can't you just focus on German politics? Like seriously,  off.

Reporting my posts isn't going to help you because literally everyone who's paying attention knows about you. The fact that you did report it speaks volumes.
This post is not a Personal Attack.*

* it looks as if I'm going to have to post this clarification in every single one of my replies to you so you get the message. Also, is saying "**** off" to me not a personal attack?

Do you have any proof than he is the one who reported it? It might very well be something else.
Given than you attack him without proof, this is a unfunded personal attack.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »

Can the House overrule the Senate or try to convince 2 senators?
Or they'll have to compromise?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »

Would one of the Australians explain us what happened?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »

lol Baird called it 'atonement' more like saving themselves from embarrassment.

Any odds of them being sent in a 4-year long atonement next March?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 03:34:52 AM »

Tasmania could introduce extremely draconian smoking laws...

I don't smoke myself, and wouldn't personally (don't mind the smell, but don't want heart attacks or bad teeth) but this is clearly a recipe for disaster...

Restricting access to tobacco is a bad idea in my opinion, considering it will just create another black & grey market alike, could result in more people turning to illicit drugs, and opens up the scary avenue for restricting/banning alcohol and fast food. While tobacco is VERY different to say, a bucket of fried chicken or a pint of beer, in that there's second-hand smoke, it still seems absurd to deny adults the right to buy and use tobacco.

That's an article from 2012!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »

What an embarrassing statement from Cormann.

Is that really surprising? The only thing the Abbott government is competent in, is bullying.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies