Queens Precincts almost 90% for Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 05:19:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Queens Precincts almost 90% for Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Queens Precincts almost 90% for Bush  (Read 4991 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:17:26 PM »

I was looking through some of the precinct results for Queens.  A bunch of Precincts in the 23rd A.d went heavily gfor Bush 70% in some cases.  However, I came across two precincts that really surprised me A.D 23 e.D 74 Bush 89.39-10.42,  e.d 75 Bush 88.09-11.91.  Both Precincts had about 530 total votes. 

Anyone know where exactly these precincts are located.  I was thinking Howard Beach and it might be, and Howard Beach is in the 23rd A.D, however must of the Howard Beach Precincts seem to be in the high 30's to mid 40's (as far as the election district)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »

Orthodox Jewish areas around Kew Gardens (not 100% on the Kew Gardens part).

No way Howard Beach is going to have voted 90% Bush.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »

Yeah, they vote in a monolithic bloc, and not exclusively for Republicans, either.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:32:34 PM »

Orthodox Jewish areas around Kew Gardens (not 100% on the Kew Gardens part).

No way Howard Beach is going to have voted 90% Bush.

too far north

The 23rd A.D is in southwest Queens, and the extreme southern shore of Queens (south of JFK)

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:42:02 PM »

Maybe very wealthy developments out on Rockaway Point?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 12:02:09 AM »

Considering that this is NYC I doubt any area would vote on that margin on being wealthy alone, after all Bush didn't win a single precinct in Manhattan and even uber-wealthy areas in Minnesota vote "only" about 60% for Bush.

I'm pretty sure these are Haredi areas, Alcon just got the location wrong, (remember he said "not 100% on the Kew Gardens part")
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:00:57 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2007, 01:10:04 AM by Alcon »

http://vote.nyc.ny.us/pdf/maps/ad/ad23.pdf

I was right indeed, wrong area.  For the two 90% precincts only, though.  For the others I was very, very wrong.

Precincts 74 and 75 (where Bush was around 90%) are all in Far Rockaway, NY, a heavily Orthodox Jewish area.

Surprisingly to me, BRTD is wrong here and Verily is right.  Precincts  30-59 are the areas where the GOP clearly performs well.  30-40 are all south of Shore Parkway, and includes Howard Beach.  The rest of the GOP precincts range from Rockaway Point to the western-central part of Rockaway Park.  That's not Jews - those are Italian and Irish Republicans.  Honestly, I'm surprised Howard Beach is 60% Bush.  Rockaway Beach isn't quite as surprising.  Rockaway Beach and Point is around 70% GOP.

Any reason for this?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 02:59:44 AM »

I was right indeed, wrong area.  For the two 90% precincts only, though.  For the others I was very, very wrong.

Precincts 74 and 75 (where Bush was around 90%) are all in Far Rockaway, NY, a heavily Orthodox Jewish area.

Surprisingly to me, BRTD is wrong here and Verily is right.  Precincts  30-59 are the areas where the GOP clearly performs well.  30-40 are all south of Shore Parkway, and includes Howard Beach.  The rest of the GOP precincts range from Rockaway Point to the western-central part of Rockaway Park.  That's not Jews - those are Italian and Irish Republicans.  Honestly, I'm surprised Howard Beach is 60% Bush.  Rockaway Beach isn't quite as surprising.  Rockaway Beach and Point is around 70% GOP.

Any reason for this?

racially based voting.  A large portion of this area is super majority white 95-98% white, Howard Beach is 0.1% black, rockaway point 0.1% Black, rockway park 0.3% Black.  The areas are also not exactly known for treating blacks with the most respect if they enter the neighborhoods.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 06:04:10 AM »

I find the way Rockaway has been spliced into two (three?) districts utterly disgusting.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 07:29:54 AM »

Somewhat off-topic, but I initially thought the title read "Queen predicts almost 90% for Bush"...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 01:09:17 PM »

Any reason for this?

Well no I'm right in that the uber-Bush precincts are Orthodox Jewish, the rest of these areas are just fairly strong for Bush.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 01:15:56 PM »

racially based voting.  A large portion of this area is super majority white 95-98% white, Howard Beach is 0.1% black, rockaway point 0.1% Black, rockway park 0.3% Black.  The areas are also not exactly known for treating blacks with the most respect if they enter the neighborhoods.

So, I gather this is an area where people move to get away from minority areas (and the problems that trouble them)?  That still seems darn high, 70%, but I guess NYC is big enough that it has to have at least one area.

I find the way Rockaway has been spliced into two (three?) districts utterly disgusting.

Why's that?

Well no I'm right in that the uber-Bush precincts are Orthodox Jewish, the rest of these areas are just fairly strong for Bush.

Ah, I get what you mean, now.  My bad.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »

Why's that?
Silly question, isn't it?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »

Why's that?
Silly question, isn't it?

I'm not particularly aware of NYC-area gerrymandering.  An attempt to make all the districts included competitive, or an attempt to neutralize the Republican presence in Rockaway?  That's what I was getting at.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »

Intra-democratic racial gerrymandering to prevent primary challenges, actually.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 04:31:14 PM »

Any reason for this?

I find it interesting that Orthodox Jews are almost 90% for Bush. Even fundamentalist Christians have (I think) about 10% voting Democratic. Are Orthodox Jews elsewhere as pro-Bush? Is this due to social conservatism or Israel?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

So, I gather this is an area where people move to get away from minority areas (and the problems that trouble them)?  That still seems darn high, 70%, but I guess NYC is big enough that it has to have at least one area.

Historically. The "Great Exodus" from Queens is pretty much over, and indeed is reversing itself in some areas. However, Rockaway, from Breezy Point to Far Rockaway, has always been a sort of elitist haven that never really wanted to be a part of New York City. Staten Island taken to the extreme.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 05:47:35 PM »

I find it interesting that Orthodox Jews are almost 90% for Bush. Even fundamentalist Christians have (I think) about 10% voting Democratic. Are Orthodox Jews elsewhere as pro-Bush? Is this due to social conservatism or Israel?

Up in Kiryas Joel, Monroe Town, Orange County, New York, the vote's pretty similar.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies