The Sudanese bear naming incident
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:28:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Sudanese bear naming incident
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Sudanese bear naming incident  (Read 4699 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »

The bottom line is these people are uncivilized and beyond help.

Last night, I stayed up until about midnight reading Jules Verne. Let me give you a quote from Five Weeks in a Balloon:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Might I remind you of the great civilizations of Kush and Meroë?

Any helping them is a waste of money because I'm sure money insults the prophet.

Quite untrue. Islamic civilizations are capable of producing peaceful, stable countries like Jordan. Just because you think they are uncivilized doesn't mean we shouldn't help them. An explanation for this that you might understand is here.
I hate when people Iraq we are enforcing our ways upon Iraq and then argue we should help in Darfur.  Either neither or both, how can you be for intervening in one country but not in another with almost the same circumstances?  Unless they people are willing to drop threats of death over a bear, we should not help them.  If they want to stop acting ridiculous, I would consider private charity, however, I would help every single American first.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 08:04:16 PM »

Last night, I stayed up until about midnight reading Jules Verne. Let me give you a quote from Five Weeks in a Balloon:

Any helping them is a waste of money because I'm sure money insults the prophet.

Quite untrue. Islamic civilizations are capable of producing peaceful, stable countries like Jordan. Just because you think they are uncivilized doesn't mean we shouldn't help them. An explanation for this that you might understand is here.
I hate when people Iraq we are enforcing our ways upon Iraq and then argue we should help in Darfur.  Either neither or both, how can you be for intervening in one country but not in another with almost the same circumstances?  Unless they people are willing to drop threats of death over a bear, we should not help them.  If they want to stop acting ridiculous, I would consider private charity, however, I would help every single American first.

Explain the relation between a civil war in Iraq and a quasi (if not a full one) genocide in Darfur?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 08:08:55 PM »

Explain the relation between a civil war in Iraq and a quasi (if not a full one) genocide in Darfur?
Foreign involvement in things that do not concern us directly, and at least Iraq posed a threat to the US, Darfur does not propose a threat to the US
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 08:18:57 PM »

This is a great reason why I could care less about Darfur

Get informed on the Darfur situation before making any judgements.
I am rather well-informed.  The bottom line is these people are uncivilized and beyond help, any helping them is a waste of money because I'm sure money insults the prophet.

Reading posts on Stormfront does not make one informed.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »

I am rather well-informed.  The bottom line is these people are uncivilized and beyond help, any helping them is a waste of money because I'm sure money insults the prophet.

What the hell is Stormfront?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2007, 08:23:31 PM »

Yes there is one person here who I would consider to be uncivilized and beyond help; but it is not the people of Darfur.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2007, 08:24:15 PM »

Yes there is one person here who I would consider to be uncivilized and beyond help; but it is not the people of Darfur.
Idk would that be the person throwing insults instead of debating?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »

Foreign involvement in things that do not concern us directly, and at least Iraq posed a threat to the US, Darfur does not propose a threat to the US

If a similar quasi-genocide happened for some reason in the US, what would you think if the rest of the world said "Let's not help those uncivilized people because it doesn't concern us"?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2007, 08:29:54 PM »

If a similar quasi-genocide happened for some reason in the US, what would you think if the rest of the world said "Let's not help those uncivilized people because it doesn't concern us"?
I would not consider them obliged to help us, no. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »

What the hell is Stormfront?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormfront (website)

Stark's board. Now, you're not Stark, but he is the one that comes readily to mind.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2007, 11:45:15 PM »

Well, it was blasphemous according to islam. Unintenbtional, obviously, but against the country's laws, however wrong those laws may be.

One thing I'm wondering - I don't remember if we have any Muslims here, but why can people name their kid Muhammad?  Isn't that MORE blasphemous?  (It would seem so to me).

No, because teddy bears are (relatively) trivial and unimportant. People are not.

But it would seem that calling a bear God is not as bad as calling yourself God.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 12:06:48 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2007, 02:54:59 AM by Gabu »

Well, it was blasphemous according to islam. Unintenbtional, obviously, but against the country's laws, however wrong those laws may be.

One thing I'm wondering - I don't remember if we have any Muslims here, but why can people name their kid Muhammad?  Isn't that MORE blasphemous?  (It would seem so to me).

No, because teddy bears are (relatively) trivial and unimportant. People are not.

But it would seem that calling a bear God is not as bad as calling yourself God.

It's not calling yourself God, because you don't give yourself your name at birth.  It's also not calling yourself God because Muhammed is not regarded as God, but merely a prophet of God.

To not give a snarky answer, it's also not calling your kid a prophet of God any more than naming your son Matthew is calling your son an author of part of the New Testament.  It's honoring the person whose name is given to another, same as it is when people give their children Biblical names.  Conversely, giving a religious name to an inanimate object is seen as a form of idolatry, which is strictly forbidden.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »

Allah and Mohammed are two different things.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2007, 09:05:14 AM »

Be very careful trying to reconcile logic with religious belief.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »

I think we should start a religion based on worshipping a teddy bear... like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The bear's name is Mohammed Jesus "M.J." Pooh.  M.J. is the daughter of our lord and savior Winnie.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »

Allah and Mohammed are two different things.

Yeah I knew that - that was a mental lapse on my part.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »

I think these people should also kill anyone named Mohammed to be consistent, but then no one would be left
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 01:42:58 PM »

I think these people should also kill anyone named Mohammed to be consistent, but then no one would be left

It is the most common name in the world, but I know many Muslims not named Muhammad.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »

It is the most common name in the world, but I know many Muslims not named Muhammad.
Of course, but I was trying to make the point of why this bear was named Mohammed in the first place
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 07:55:40 PM »

Humans are not objects; thus, naming humans Mohammed is not the same as naming an inanimate object Mohammed.

The fact that you do not understand something does not mean that it does not make logical sense.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2007, 06:17:39 AM »

She's been pardoned by the Sudanese leader.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 08:04:33 AM »

She's been pardoned by the Sudanese leader.

So good news from Sudan for a change.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 09:32:34 AM »

Does it strike anyone else as ironic and terribly inconsistent that Muslims pull the "idolotry" card when it comes to Muhammad?  They don't go nuts about Adam, Abraham, Jesus, or any of the other prophets recognized by Islam.  I also find it interesting that a religion which fears idolotry demands prayer in the direction of the Kabaa as though it were an idol.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 08:26:29 PM »

Does it strike anyone else as ironic and terribly inconsistent that Muslims pull the "idolotry" card when it comes to Muhammad?  They don't go nuts about Adam, Abraham, Jesus, or any of the other prophets recognized by Islam.  I also find it interesting that a religion which fears idolotry demands prayer in the direction of the Kabaa as though it were an idol.

In Islam, the Kabaa is the "house of God", which means it represents God. I'm sure they would go nuts about Adam. Abraham, or Jesus. You just haven't seen it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies