Affirmative Action Reform Bill of 2007 [Failed] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:02:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Affirmative Action Reform Bill of 2007 [Failed] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Affirmative Action Reform Bill of 2007 [Failed]  (Read 4134 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: December 01, 2007, 06:18:03 PM »

Well, since no one else is talking, I will say that I am opposed to this bill and find no redeeming facet to the return of affirmative action, an outdated practice in modern Atlasia that reaffirms stereotypes and prejudices of all sorts.

The bill in question even bans affirmative action on the basis of socio-economic status.

Either way, the sad fact is that workplaces and educational institutions are not integrated.  Prospective employers are more likely to call someone with a "white-sounding" name than a "black-sounding" one.  I don't see why federal agencies should not be allowed to determine their own criteria when it comes to affirmative action.  Hopefully some would see fit to attempt to increase diversity among their employees.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 07:36:40 PM »

Meaning we hire people for their qualifications instead of getting someone in there just to keep the place diverse.

I don't think you really understand what affirmative action is.

If an employer has two completely equal candidates for a position, he might consider picking the one from a more diverse background.  Affirmative action is not a quota policy, or forced hiring of anyone solely for their skin color.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »

There is no such thing as "completely equal" candidates.

It probably happens all the time, especially in lower-level employment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:06:43 PM »

Is requiring there to be an equal number of male and female P.E. teachers a form of sexism?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »

Is requiring there to be an equal number of male and female P.E. teachers a form of sexism?
That has nothing to do with this.  The reason they have that is so that you don't have a guy monitoring a girls locker room and vice versa, where is the comparsion possible there?

What I just described to you is a form of sex-based affirmative action, which is illegal under the bill I'm trying to repeal.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »

That is not affirmative action, that is just avoiding creepiness and lawsuits

Under the definition of affirmative action provided in the relevant legislation, a school policy to have an equal number of P.E. teachers from each sex would be an example of illegal affirmative action.

You know, DWDL, it's interesting that you support banning affirmative action, yet as a libertarian you would argue against laws restricting the rights of employers to determine their own criteria.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »

I'm not sure why a school needs equal numbers of male and female P.E. teachers.  Male P.E. teachers can't handle female students and vice versa?

The more important thing is that, say, if a school has three P.E. teachers, at least one of them is of the other sex.  Rather than three male or three female teachers.  Having an equal amount is only a good idea if the school is large enough to warrant having a higher, even number of P.E. teachers.

Keep in mind that in a lot of schools P.E. teachers are also responsible for health and sex education.  Students who have private questions will feel more comfortable asking the teacher of the same sex.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 06:17:04 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies