This Site's View on Same-Sex Marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:11:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  This Site's View on Same-Sex Marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: This Site's View on Same-Sex Marriage  (Read 12628 times)
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2004, 06:49:35 PM »
« edited: September 26, 2004, 07:24:21 AM by Dave Leip »

There has been some discussion on the topic in general regarding various proposed amendments. Where does this site stand?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 06:50:13 PM »

Please define full and partial civil unions.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 06:55:43 PM »

Please define full and partial civil unions.
Full civil unions would be just like marriage only not be called marriage. Partial civil unions would bestow some of the benefits of marriage like hospital visitation and inheritance, but might preclude things like tax benefits and Social Security.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 07:12:07 PM »

I say that the government should not be involved in recognizing marriage at all, leave it to the churches.  The government should only determine unions for various purposes (taxes, etc.).

On top of that, leave the adoption issue to the states.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 07:14:11 PM »

Under the current system, same-sex marriage.

What the system should be - full civil unions for ALL couples.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 08:34:35 PM »

I would support full civil union except for allowing them to adopt or foster children.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 09:06:57 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 09:12:27 PM by HockeyDude »

Full marriage, adoption rights for all.  It's a joke that two trashy drunks can get married and have a kid but a stable gay couple can't.  It's more than a joke, it's insane and horrible.  Yea, go after the gays, but when 2 drunks get hitched in Vegas and wake up not knowing what the hell happened.....oh, its so beautiful, the sanctity of marriage has been preserved!!!!!  The only reason we don't have gay marriage has nothing to do with the sanctity of marriage, it's only insecure conseratives that couldn't bear to see their beliefs go into question.  On somwhat of a side note, the banning of gay marriage in MO by 70% was a sad, sad day in the history of our country.  
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 09:10:04 PM »

Full marriage, adoption rights for all.  
^^
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 10:30:18 PM »

Same-sex marriage.

Now that most (other than of course Bush, Lott, Santorum, Robertson, etc.) don't see marriage as a patriarchal institution or one where child rearing is absolute, there is no reason that the law should discriminate between gay and straight couples.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 11:09:50 PM »

I say if gay people want to get married then move to canada
ijohn57s

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 11:15:09 PM »

What you define as a partial civil union would be fine. I think that you should be able to have whoever you want visit you in the hospital and be able to leace your inheritance to whoever you want. (It's your money, after all.) I don't, however, necesarily think it should be government endorsed, just give them the rights to those things.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »

What if they love America?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 11:17:47 PM »

I'd prefer full civil unions, but it's really a matter for the states, and should NOT be messed with in the Constitution.
bejkuy

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 11:31:58 PM »

I'd prefer full civil unions, but it's really a matter for the states, and should NOT be messed with in the Constitution.

Again I state, it will cease to be a state issue when the scotus or any federal judge rules that same-sex marriage is a right.

I don't wan't to see liberals or conservatives messing with the constitution.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 01:43:24 AM »

I'm in favor of same sex marriage, I think full civil unions should come first, because it will be hard for some to accept. Personally, I think all changes take time, its a mistake to try anything drastic overnight.

I find it ironic that some of the most ardent anti-abortionists are against gay adoption. If you want adoption instead of abortion, maybe its time to not be so picky.
Posterity
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 01:58:39 AM »

The government should get out of the marriage business entirely.  If marriage is so sacred, why do we need the government's permission?
raggage

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 06:05:15 AM »

Full Civil Unions. No use alienating all the religious people over the use of a word. As long as gay couples get all the rights of married couples then who cares what its called.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 09:51:54 AM »

Fine, but one could suggest that you move if you don't like it.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »

I voted for same-sex marriage. Civil unions, in reality, are unequal, because they make an illegitimate classification based on sexual orientation.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 11:32:24 AM »

Full marriage, adoption rights for all.  It's a joke that two trashy drunks can get married and have a kid but a stable gay couple can't.  It's more than a joke, it's insane and horrible.  Yea, go after the gays, but when 2 drunks get hitched in Vegas and wake up not knowing what the hell happened.....oh, its so beautiful, the sanctity of marriage has been preserved!!!!!  The only reason we don't have gay marriage has nothing to do with the sanctity of marriage, it's only insecure conseratives that couldn't bear to see their beliefs go into question.  On somwhat of a side note, the banning of gay marriage in MO by 70% was a sad, sad day in the history of our country.  

The problem is, we know for a fact that most children who are adopted by gay couples end up with psychological problems, while people who are adopted by straight couples arn't. Sure, alcoholism may be in a straight couple's family, but it's rare, and adoption agencies make sure there are no abusive relationships in the family- they make sure the family is perfect for the child. Drunks can be found in both homosexual and heterosexual lifestyles, and especially more in the homosexual one (homosexuals are more likely to be alcoholics or drug addicts than heterosexuals). Your argument is flawed; adoption agencies do not arbitrarily allow heterosexual couples to adopt children. It's much more extensive then that.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 11:35:42 AM »

I voted for same-sex marriage. Civil unions, in reality, are unequal, because they make an illegitimate classification based on sexual orientation.

It's not unequal- if it was unequal they wouldn't get the same rights (except for adoption). The problem is, marriage means the union between a man and a woman, so it's senseless to call the union between two people of the same sex "marriage", as it's contrary to the definition. Plus, gay couples who adopt end up causing psychological damage to the child. Therefore, it's only appropriate that a new definition especially for homosexuals is made- civil unions. This is not like the civil rights movement, where blacks and whites are really the same. A heterosexual and homosexual couple are NOT the same; just like men and women are not the same.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 11:38:31 AM »

The problem is, we know for a fact that most children who are adopted by gay couples end up with psychological problems, while people who are adopted by straight couples arn't. Sure, alcoholism may be in a straight couple's family, but it's rare, and adoption agencies make sure there are no abusive relationships in the family- they make sure the family is perfect for the child. Drunks can be found in both homosexual and heterosexual lifestyles, and especially more in the homosexual one (homosexuals are more likely to be alcoholics or drug addicts than heterosexuals). Your argument is flawed; adoption agencies do not arbitrarily allow heterosexual couples to adopt children. It's much more extensive then that.

I want proof that children of gay couples end up with phychological problems.  And some more info.  Is it caused by the gay parents or the verbal abuse the family get from others?  What is the definition of "psychological problems", because i know conseratives who say being gay is a psychological problem.  

And I don't believe in the "good for society" argument.  You think maybe if all the gay bashing stops and gay families were able to lvie their lives without ridicule, that may in itself be good for society?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 11:48:27 AM »

I want proof that children of gay couples end up with phychological problems.  And some more info.  Is it caused by the gay parents or the verbal abuse the family get from others?  What is the definition of "psychological problems", because i know conseratives who say being gay is a psychological problem.  

I agree, where's the proof of this? The couple people I know raised by homosexuals are perfectly normal(not to mention straight).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 11:56:43 AM »

"Fine But one could suggest you move if you don't like it."

Well if Missouri is any example than 60-70% of America doesn't want gay marriage.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 12:05:19 PM »

The government should get out of the marriage business entirely.  If marriage is so sacred, why do we need the government's permission?

I'm with Posterity on this one. We should detatch marriage from state. It is a union under God. What happened to the separation of church and state?

There's so much hypocrisy in the government these days.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies