Venezuela Referendum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:24:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Venezuela Referendum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Venezuela Referendum  (Read 6131 times)
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2007, 07:50:58 AM »

Measures like presidential term limits are (indeed technically undemocratic) hacks that fail to address the fundamental problem here, namely the presidential system itself. It gives too much power to a single person.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2007, 10:07:05 AM »

Anyone else besides me think this minor setback will be beneficial to Chavez in the long run?

Yes. It shows Venezuela is a working democracy, and he can use it as ammo for a future run.

Now I guess the question is, anyone think Chavez staged this loss?

lol.  when he wins, the election is obviously rigged.  and when he loses, it is, too? 

the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...

I'm only asking the question of what result is actually more beneficial to Chavez in the long run.  The fact that a loss is even a possible answer raises issues.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »

Why are there so many conspiracy theories? Chavez staging the loss, Chavez changing the law later. I think he will listen to the people, because if he decides to go against their wishes, they would overthrow him anyway. This is a perfect example of the people stopping dictatorship.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2007, 05:48:31 PM »

It passed in the large sparsely populated areas. If Venezuela awarded electoral votes based upon land area or a fixed number per State, Chavez's referendums would have passed.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2007, 11:37:05 PM »

Why are there so many conspiracy theories? Chavez staging the loss, Chavez changing the law later. I think he will listen to the people, because if he decides to go against their wishes, they would overthrow him anyway. This is a perfect example of the people stopping dictatorship.

Not when an exit poll showed this failing 34-66. Yes, exit polls can be wrong, but they're never that far wrong. It's fairly obvious that Chavez decided making the referendums pass would look too dodgy, so he had them fail narrowly enough to be able to claim a mandate to reintroduce them in a couple of years. This gives him some veneer of democratic legitimacy because he can say, "Look, I obeyed the will of the people," but he's not doing so.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2007, 12:26:50 AM »

Not when an exit poll showed this failing 34-66. Yes, exit polls can be wrong, but they're never that far wrong. It's fairly obvious that Chavez decided making the referendums pass would look too dodgy, so he had them fail narrowly enough to be able to claim a mandate to reintroduce them in a couple of years. This gives him some veneer of democratic legitimacy because he can say, "Look, I obeyed the will of the people," but he's not doing so.

Basically what I was getting at.  While I don't know if I believe this to be true, I do think people should consider this as a possible scenario.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2007, 01:06:13 AM »

Chavez 'will leave power in 2013'

Not that he won't pull a Putin or manage things from behind the scenes...or simply reintroduce the referendum.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2007, 07:56:58 AM »

Chavez 'will leave power in 2013'

Not that he won't pull a Putin or manage things from behind the scenes...or simply reintroduce the referendum.

So he says.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies