Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:45:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline?
Anyone should be allowed to

Only members of the Church

No; mescaline should be completely illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline?  (Read 12650 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »

Should members of the Church of Peyote or Native American Church be allowed to consume mescaline?

[Mescaline is a psychadelic substance found in several species of cacti, including the Peyote.  Mescaline is classified as a Schedule I drug, but several states allow an exemption for Native Americans or members of the Church of Peyote under freedom of religion laws.]
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »

Should members of the Church of Peyote or Native American Church be allowed to consume mescaline?

[Mescaline is a psychadelic substance found in several species of cacti, including the Peyote.  Mescaline is classified as a Schedule I drug, but several states allow an exemption for Native Americans or members of the Church of Peyote under freedom of religion laws.]

Wouldn't Native Americans be exempt on Native lands anyway?  It should be illegal, BTW.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:48:48 PM »

But the consumption of the drug is necessary for them to fulfill their religious obligations.

The religion existed before the ban on using mescaline did, in case you think that it was set up just to get around drug law.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:37:27 PM »

But the consumption of the drug is necessary for them to fulfill their religious obligations.

The religion existed before the ban on using mescaline did, in case you think that it was set up just to get around drug law.

No - I knew it had been around.  I believe it's in Arizona or New Mexico that it's most frequently used - we had a discussion about it in our social psych class.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:47:40 AM »

Why?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 12:10:19 PM »

I'd never heard of either of these until today.

Is the drug harmful?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 12:14:43 PM »

I'd never heard of either of these until today.

Is the drug harmful?

Some say it's less harmful than other drugs.  It's what Aldous Huxley was on as he took the notes to write his book The Doors of Perception.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »

Only if it is legal for a Rastafarian to consume cannabis.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »

Only if it is legal for a Rastafarian to consume cannabis.

Of course the problem with that is that you're going to get every pothead on the planet "converting" to Rastafarianism.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »

No - I knew it had been around.  I believe it's in Arizona or New Mexico that it's most frequently used - we had a discussion about it in our social psych class.

I love how Ebowed assumed that I thought the religion was a bogus way to get around the law, and then when I informed him that I knew it was a real religion he hasn't posted since.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »

See John Rawls for my answer.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »

I love how Ebowed assumed that I thought the religion was a bogus way to get around the law, and then when I informed him that I knew it was a real religion he hasn't posted since.

I don't have the time to reply to every post on this forum, numbskull.  Anyway, the fact that you weren't ignorant about it just makes your position on the issue all the more ridiculous.

It is a non-addictive psychadelic drug.  It would generally only be dangerous if someone drove under the influence, which members of the church do not do.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 02:45:05 AM »

I don't have the time to reply to every post on this forum, numbskull.  Anyway, the fact that you weren't ignorant about it just makes your position on the issue all the more ridiculous.

It is a non-addictive psychadelic drug.  It would generally only be dangerous if someone drove under the influence, which members of the church do not do.

I just find it funny that you assumed that I was making an ignorant judgment.  And numbskull?  I haven't heard that since about 3rd grade.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 04:23:32 AM »

I just find it funny that you assumed that I was making an ignorant judgment.  And numbskull?  I haven't heard that since about 3rd grade.

You still haven't provided any rationale to prohibit religious-based consumption of mescaline.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 04:32:46 AM »

You still haven't provided any rationale to prohibit religious-based consumption of mescaline.

Or consumption of it in general, for that matter.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »

It's an illegal drug - you can't do illegal stuff just for the sake of religion.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 12:44:08 PM »

It's an illegal drug - you can't do illegal stuff just for the sake of religion.
I'm sure that you would say the same of Christians in countries where Christianity is suppressed and/or banned. Of course they shouldn't be reading the Bible. It's illegal, after all!

Just because the religion under consideration here is not Christianity or some closely related cult does not mean that it should be excluded from sharing the same liberties that Christians and closely related cults do. And you have not even presented a sound argument as to why mescaline should be illegal. The fact that it is illegal at present is not a reason why it should be illegal, unless of course you are perfectly content to continue plodding along, dumbly accepting everything that the government force-feeds you as valid.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 12:46:10 PM »

I'm sure that you would say the same of Christians in countries where Christianity is suppressed and/or banned. Of course they shouldn't be reading the Bible. It's illegal, after all!

Just because the religion under consideration here is not Christianity or some closely related cult does not mean that it should be excluded from sharing the same liberties that Christians and closely related cults do. And you have not even presented a sound argument as to why mescaline should be illegal. The fact that it is illegal at present is not a reason why it should be illegal, unless of course you are perfectly content to continue plodding along, dumbly accepting everything that the government force-feeds you as valid.

Reading isn't hazardous to the health of you and others.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 12:54:41 PM »

Reading isn't hazardous to the health of you and others.

But it's ILLEGAL!

Amusing how you put Ron Paul in your signature and then turn around and say the state should be able to regulate a person's health and restrict their religious beliefs.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 04:20:09 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2007, 04:22:33 PM by Ebowed »

LOL!

The drug is not illegal if you are a member of the church, thus your argument makes no sense.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »

Wait, are you arguing that mescaline should be illegal because it's illegal (even though it isn't illegal)?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 06:31:08 PM »

Drugs= Bad
Drugs being Legal = Good
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »

So this would hold true for lots of other bad and dangerous things then wouldn't it?

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 06:57:11 PM »

So this would hold true for lots of other bad and dangerous things then wouldn't it?
Depends if it is a victimless crime
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

Option 1...however, if anyone should have the biggest gripe and most legitimate claim it would be the persons described in option 2.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies