Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:37:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline?
Anyone should be allowed to

Only members of the Church

No; mescaline should be completely illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Should members of the Church of Peyote be allowed to consume mescaline?  (Read 12679 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: December 04, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »

Should members of the Church of Peyote or Native American Church be allowed to consume mescaline?

[Mescaline is a psychadelic substance found in several species of cacti, including the Peyote.  Mescaline is classified as a Schedule I drug, but several states allow an exemption for Native Americans or members of the Church of Peyote under freedom of religion laws.]

Wouldn't Native Americans be exempt on Native lands anyway?  It should be illegal, BTW.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:37:27 PM »

But the consumption of the drug is necessary for them to fulfill their religious obligations.

The religion existed before the ban on using mescaline did, in case you think that it was set up just to get around drug law.

No - I knew it had been around.  I believe it's in Arizona or New Mexico that it's most frequently used - we had a discussion about it in our social psych class.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:14:43 PM »

I'd never heard of either of these until today.

Is the drug harmful?

Some say it's less harmful than other drugs.  It's what Aldous Huxley was on as he took the notes to write his book The Doors of Perception.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »

But the consumption of the drug is necessary for them to fulfill their religious obligations.

The religion existed before the ban on using mescaline did, in case you think that it was set up just to get around drug law.

No - I knew it had been around.  I believe it's in Arizona or New Mexico that it's most frequently used - we had a discussion about it in our social psych class.

I love how Ebowed assumed that I thought the religion was a bogus way to get around the law, and then when I informed him that I knew it was a real religion he hasn't posted since.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:45:05 AM »

I love how Ebowed assumed that I thought the religion was a bogus way to get around the law, and then when I informed him that I knew it was a real religion he hasn't posted since.

I don't have the time to reply to every post on this forum, numbskull.  Anyway, the fact that you weren't ignorant about it just makes your position on the issue all the more ridiculous.

It is a non-addictive psychadelic drug.  It would generally only be dangerous if someone drove under the influence, which members of the church do not do.

I just find it funny that you assumed that I was making an ignorant judgment.  And numbskull?  I haven't heard that since about 3rd grade.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »

I just find it funny that you assumed that I was making an ignorant judgment.  And numbskull?  I haven't heard that since about 3rd grade.

You still haven't provided any rationale to prohibit religious-based consumption of mescaline.

Or consumption of it in general, for that matter.

It's an illegal drug - you can't do illegal stuff just for the sake of religion.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 12:46:10 PM »

You still haven't provided any rationale to prohibit religious-based consumption of mescaline.

It's an illegal drug - you can't do illegal stuff just for the sake of religion.
I'm sure that you would say the same of Christians in countries where Christianity is suppressed and/or banned. Of course they shouldn't be reading the Bible. It's illegal, after all!

Just because the religion under consideration here is not Christianity or some closely related cult does not mean that it should be excluded from sharing the same liberties that Christians and closely related cults do. And you have not even presented a sound argument as to why mescaline should be illegal. The fact that it is illegal at present is not a reason why it should be illegal, unless of course you are perfectly content to continue plodding along, dumbly accepting everything that the government force-feeds you as valid.

Reading isn't hazardous to the health of you and others.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »

I'm sure that you would say the same of Christians in countries where Christianity is suppressed and/or banned. Of course they shouldn't be reading the Bible. It's illegal, after all!

Just because the religion under consideration here is not Christianity or some closely related cult does not mean that it should be excluded from sharing the same liberties that Christians and closely related cults do. And you have not even presented a sound argument as to why mescaline should be illegal. The fact that it is illegal at present is not a reason why it should be illegal, unless of course you are perfectly content to continue plodding along, dumbly accepting everything that the government force-feeds you as valid.

Reading isn't hazardous to the health of you and others.

But it's ILLEGAL!

Amusing how you put Ron Paul in your signature and then turn around and say the state should be able to regulate a person's health and restrict their religious beliefs.

I have Chris Dodd and Howard Dean - I don't agree 100% w/ anybody in my signature.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »

Neither are cars, twinkies, tall buildings, beer, air travel or peanut butter.

All their benefits outweight the cost.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:06:10 PM »

Mescaline is not physically addictive.  Why do you support having it illegal while alcohol is not illegal?  Beyond the extent to which the effects go, there isn't a lot of difference.

No response yet, I see.

It still effects your judgement way more than alcohol does.  And you can have a glass of wine and not be drunk/still be fully funcitonal.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »

The Twinkie benifits mankind more than mescaline does?  Are you aware of any religons that use the Twinkie as a major aspect of their faith?

I could do that!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »

Mescaline is not physically addictive.  Why do you support having it illegal while alcohol is not illegal?  Beyond the extent to which the effects go, there isn't a lot of difference.

No response yet, I see.

It still effects your judgement way more than alcohol does.  And you can have a glass of wine and not be drunk/still be fully funcitonal.
So your for the legalization of pot then?  You can smoke as much pot as you want and still drive better than somebody with a 6 pack in them.

You're missing my point.  People don't just smoke enough so that they aren't effected.  You shouldn't drive drunk or even get drunk for that matter - and if you DO drink and endanger somebody, you should be punished - but if you're home alone and do whatever, I really don't care.  But smoking pot is a lot different than having a bear or a glass of wine.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:32:26 AM »

No response yet, I see.

It still effects your judgement way more than alcohol does.

You clearly have never gotten drunk. Of course we all already knew that.

We're not talking about getting drunk - I'm talking about having a drink.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 01:10:35 AM »

But smoking pot is a lot different than having a bear or a glass of wine.

I know a guy who smokes pot fairly often with friends in his home.  He and his friends get together and pass the joint around and hang out and enjoy it and they have a good social time... you know, completely identical to how people drink beer or wine with friends.

OK - but are most pot smokers generally responsible?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 04:13:12 AM »

But smoking pot is a lot different than having a bear or a glass of wine.

I know a guy who smokes pot fairly often with friends in his home.  He and his friends get together and pass the joint around and hang out and enjoy it and they have a good social time... you know, completely identical to how people drink beer or wine with friends.

OK - but are most pot smokers generally responsible?

How many people have been killed to date by drivers who are drunk?

And how many people have been killed to date by drivers who are high off of marijuana?

You do the math.

Debate indefinitely suspended...I've been debating the legality of drug use for 4 months or so now - and I'm beginning to become more confident that I should switch over.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 04:40:37 AM »

I was in my early 20's before I switched over.  Be careful though.  First you stop hating on pot, then prostitution, then all victimless crimes, then your against the Department of Education and the Patriot Act....next thing you know you're sending Ron Paul $100. Grin

As of now - it's only marijuana - I've had too many family members get WAY too messed up on heroine.  At least my pot smoking uncle returned to normalicyishness - he still claims he was abducted, but I can live with that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies