What is "Pro-Life" in terms of its philosophy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:51:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is "Pro-Life" in terms of its philosophy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
pre-modern

modern

post-modern

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: What is "Pro-Life" in terms of its philosophy?  (Read 1964 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:51:40 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:31:02 PM »

I am not sure. It seems to be related in perserving ancient Judeo-Germanic society. Then again, its very name sounds post-modern hippish and does cloud the way we look at life.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »

When you ask for people to define a term, it's generally advisable to not make the choices themselves needing to be defined.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 12:39:04 AM »

There is no "Pro-choice" and "pro-life". There's pro-choice... and anti-choice. (Aww yeah, opening up a can of worms)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:43:18 AM »

There is no "Pro-choice" and "pro-life". There's pro-choice... and anti-choice. (Aww yeah, opening up a can of worms)

Personally, I hate both terms.  There's pro-legality of abortion and anti-legality of abortion.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:50:04 AM »

Personally, I hate both terms.  There's pro-legality of abortion and anti-legality of abortion.

^^^

There is no pro-choice and pro-life. There's only pro-abortion and anti-abortion.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 01:52:22 AM »

There is no pro-choice and pro-life. There's only pro-abortion and anti-abortion.

Personally, I don't like the term "pro-abortion" either because it sounds like the person is in favor of abortions occurring, as if the person wants them to happen.  A person who favors the legality of abortion need not think that all women ought to go out and get an abortion because they're kick ass.

But, of course, this is politics, and anything over two or three syllables to your average voter might as well be a Ph.D dissertation.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 02:14:53 AM »

Personally, I don't like the term "pro-abortion" either because it sounds like the person is in favor of abortions occurring, as if the person wants them to happen.  A person who favors the legality of abortion need not think that all women ought to go out and get an abortion because they're kick ass.

But, of course, this is politics, and anything over two or three syllables to your average voter might as well be a Ph.D dissertation.

I'm trying to stay user-friendly here. If you make the statement I made, people will nod their heads thoughtfully. If you make the longer statement, which I agree with in principle, people will call you a pretentious douche.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 02:44:50 AM »

I'm trying to stay user-friendly here. If you make the statement I made, people will nod their heads thoughtfully. If you make the longer statement, which I agree with in principle, people will call you a pretentious douche.

Well, I prefer being a pretentious douche over being what I perceive as incorrect. Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »

Well, I prefer being a pretentious douche over being what I perceive as incorrect. Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »

There's pro-abortion rights and anti-abortion, I guess....
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:06:52 PM »

Really you need to look at for what it is, you are pro-life or pro-death, you either support killing innocent children or not.  You can't sugar coat at all into supporting it some circumstances.  My favorite is when someone is like "Well I think they are wrong and murder but I can't make that decision for others."  To that, I say grow a pair and stop obeying the PC Police everywhere you go
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 10:12:31 PM »

Really you need to look at for what it is, you are pro-life or pro-death, you either support killing innocent children or not.

Are you retarded or illiterate?  You have to be one of the two to be able to ignore repeated statements of why people support the legality of abortion.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 11:26:46 AM »

Really you need to look at for what it is, you are pro-life or pro-death, you either support killing innocent children or not.  You can't sugar coat at all into supporting it some circumstances.  My favorite is when someone is like "Well I think they are wrong and murder but I can't make that decision for others."  To that, I say grow a pair and stop obeying the PC Police everywhere you go
Gee....making people up, are we?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 06:14:04 PM »

Really you need to look at for what it is, you are pro-life or pro-death, you either support killing innocent children or not.

Are you retarded or illiterate?  You have to be one of the two to be able to ignore repeated statements of why people support the legality of abortion.
People can make up any argument they want, I still have not found one legitimate option for why killing an innocent child should be allowed. 
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 06:37:18 PM »

People can make up any argument they want, I still have not found one legitimate option for why killing an innocent child should be allowed. 
I just took you off ignore....and it took about 5 minutes to get back on. Sigh....-_-
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 06:57:32 PM »

I just took you off ignore....and it took about 5 minutes to get back on. Sigh....-_-
Doesn't take much to get on your ignore list then I guess Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »

sigh

The argument pro-choice people make is not that murdering babies is okay, but that it is not murder.  Arguments in favor of this point of view have been repeated at least a dozen times in various threads across this forum.  No one is arguing that murdering babies is okay.  That people seem unable to comprehend this very basic fact about the nature of the abortion debate itself makes me feel that they are either incapable of the most basic reading comprehension or are being willfully ignorant because they don't want to hear an opposing point of view on the subject.  There is quite literally no other explanation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 03:04:03 PM »

ummm....the war in Iraq? Communism? Supply-Side Economics? The nice things we have?

But seriously, I understand that abortion is a problem in that it theoretically could cause promiscuity and shallow relationships....but it isn't murder. I MAY start listening to the religious right on this issue if they frame it in a more practical way, not that I would agree with them then, but I would listen....because if it is just another form of undesired behavior, we could then work to lower the abortion rate without demonizing or villianizing(sp>) people who may become or are law-abiding, tax-paying and productive members of society.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies