Rasmussen: Clinton at several month low, Huckabee leads (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:02:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  Rasmussen: Clinton at several month low, Huckabee leads (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rasmussen: Clinton at several month low, Huckabee leads  (Read 4216 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: December 05, 2007, 03:03:19 PM »

I would love an Obama-Huckabee race. Not because I think it would be a big Dem victory, but because I like both of them, even if I would never vote for the latter. The only other GOP candidate I like is Ron Paul, but I oppose his economic platform.

In January 2004, I was annoyed that Dean's loss to Kerry in IA changed the results of all the primaries after it. But this time the same process would be good for my candidate (Obama).

If he does win Iowa, he will improve in the other states where he is very low right now, like California, New York, Florida, Ohio, etc. There was an article a few months ago that says he has low support among Hispanics, which would explain CA.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:11:55 PM »

I would love an Obama-Huckabee race. Not because I think it would be a big Dem victory, but because I like both of them, even if I would never vote for the latter. The only other GOP candidate I like is Ron Paul, but I oppose his economic platform.

I agree, except for the Dem victory wouldn't be "that" big.  It would be close to what it was last year, though the electoral map might shift more east/west.

I think Obama would have a big improvement over Kerry in all non-Southern states. The map might  look almost like it did in 1904 or 1924, only with the parties reversed. Huckabee would do about as well as Bush did in the South, since a large majority of white voters there are already voting Republican anyway. As long as Obama stays away from gun control and doesn't seem like to much of an environmentalist, he could do well in the Mountain West (not necessarily win a lot of states there, just improve over Kerry). I think the environmental issue is what hurt Clinton in the West in '96.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »

Yes, would be interesting. I could see something like this happening in the case of Obama vs. Huckabee:
Whoever wins 2 out of the 3 deciding states in the West will be President.

I hope that map doesn't come true. I think Obama could possibly win Virginia (where race would unfortunatly be an issue) and Ohio (where it wouldn't be). I don't want another 51% mandate.

Somehow looking at those candidates and assuming that attitudes towards Obama's race (or Huckabee's "jesus juice" ftm.) won't be too big an issue, I'd have to say we will probably see an even greater shift of wealthier more "middle class" states into the Democratic column than we have already.

This is of course just a guess knowing what I do about both candidates and US politics (though I'm still Al and the likes could add more.)

If Huckabee's wins btw it would show that alot of the opposition to GWB has been more "personal" than "political"; supersoulty is right here, a vote for Huckabee is a vote to re-elect GWB; except with more protectionism. From what I can see.

I agree. If Huckabee is nominated it would be terrible for the GOP in the Northeast. Not only would he lose all 9 states (which is a given at this point) but they'd lose even more Congressmen than last year's wipeout.

I don't even like thinking of a Huckabee victory at this point. A Baptist Minister as our President? The current president is too intrusively religious as it is.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:50:27 PM »

So you're a populist.

No, I don't think of myself as one. I like protectionism in theory but not in practice. And populism (at least the way I've heard it described) is socially conservative, which I am not on most issues.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 02:44:46 AM »

So you're a populist.

No, I don't think of myself as one. I like protectionism in theory but not in practice. And populism (at least the way I've heard it described) is socially conservative, which I am not on most issues.

So why do you like Huckabee? Cause of his smile?

He just seems more authentic than any of the other GOP candidates. He's not using 9/11 to his advantage (Rudy), not a hollow, plastic shell of a man with no real beliefs (Romney) and not a former Freedom Fighting Hero who has come crawling back to the Party base begging for forgiveness (McCain, unfortunately). Huckabee talks about issues that the GOP avoids like the plague (such as race, the income divide, etc.) He's a nice change from the usual hacks they nominate, even if he's a fundie. He's personally okay, but his politics are downright scary.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies