BREAKING NEWS: Up to 5 shot in possible sniper attack at Omaha mall, WOWT TV rep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:13:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING NEWS: Up to 5 shot in possible sniper attack at Omaha mall, WOWT TV rep
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Up to 5 shot in possible sniper attack at Omaha mall, WOWT TV rep  (Read 7070 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »

Yeah, it's the gun's fault, and not the work of an evil human being. Roll Eyes

Was he really evil though?

Why does this stuff seem to always happen in America but is quite uncommon everywhere else (I can think of only three of this types of incidents happening in Europe since I learnt to read - The recent massarce in Finland, That school shooting in Germany a few years back and Dunblane. And in the latter case it wasn't a teenager doing the shooting. This seems too great in the States in comparsion; and certainly too great to be blamed on "evil" people, whoever they are.)

Sick, disfunctional society that produces violence, a majority of miserables, lots of sexual and other frustrations, and presumably maximizes the interests of the ruling class.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »

Yeah, it's the gun's fault, and not the work of an evil human being. Roll Eyes

Was he really evil though?

Why does this stuff seem to always happen in America but is quite uncommon everywhere else (I can think of only three of this types of incidents happening in Europe since I learnt to read - The recent massarce in Finland, That school shooting in Germany a few years back and Dunblane. And in the latter case it wasn't a teenager doing the shooting. This seems too great in the States in comparsion; and certainly too great to be blamed on "evil" people, whoever they are.)

Sick, disfunctional society that produces violence, a majority of miserables, lots of sexual and other frustrations, and presumably maximizes the interests of the ruling class.

The kid was evil.  He said he was sorry for what he was about to do, yet did it anyway.  He said "Now I'll be famous" - he's an evil freak that left his poor family the legacy that he was a murderer.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »

We may not have had a gun massacre in the UK since Dunblane, but gun crime still remains.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:31:59 PM »

I've heard (no site) that it was an SKS and that he stole it from his step dad.  Just local rumors as far as I know.

edit-verification of SKS...stolen from stepdad still just rumor as far as I know.

I heard SKS and AK47 - which their's a big difference.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »

They've released some of the CCTV footage and it definitely looks like an AK-47.

If the kid thought he was a burden on the world, he didn't need to cause an even greater burden by bereaving several people.

It's just sick.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2007, 03:03:32 PM »

They've released some of the CCTV footage and it definitely looks like an AK-47.

If the kid thought he was a burden on the world, he didn't need to cause an even greater burden by bereaving several people.

It's just sick.

SKS's are like AK-47's in appearance.  SKS's are only semi-auto's, so I'm ok w/ them (although the dad of the nut should've kept it locked up).  AK-47's are just ridiculous - no civilian needs an automatic weapon.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 03:12:01 PM »

It's just sick.

SKS's are like AK-47's in appearance.  SKS's are only semi-auto's, so I'm ok w/ them (although the dad of the nut should've kept it locked up).  AK-47's are just ridiculous - no civilian needs an automatic weapon.

You can get semi-auto AKs, but the clip makes it look like an AK. Most SKS rifles have a small clip, but he could have got a large capacity one.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 03:20:58 PM »

We may not have had a gun massacre in the UK since Dunblane, but gun crime still remains.

I'm well aware of that; what I was referring to the sort of deliberate pre-mediated random massarce as seen here in Omaha. When is the last time that happened in the UK - apart from Dunblane?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Does the United States have a higher quota of "evil" genes than the Rest of the world?

(Note: This should note by read that I think what he did could be excused, rather I think is what is why he did in the first place. In this regard Gun control is about as useful as plucking the teeth out of crocodiles. It is a dangerous knee-jerk reaction which may save lives of a couple of unfortunate bystanders but it is a crocodile and a crocodile is dangerous teeth or no teeth.)

The language this debate is done in the US is a sick joke, as if people on both sides of the political spectrum wish to avoid difficult questions with even more difficult answers.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »

I'm well aware of that; what I was referring to the sort of deliberate pre-mediated random massarce as seen here in Omaha. When is the last time that happened in the UK - apart from Dunblane?

Does the United States have a higher quota of "evil" genes than the Rest of the world?

(Note: This should note by read that I think what he did could be excused, rather I think is what is why he did in the first place. In this regard Gun control is about as useful as plucking the teeth out of crocodiles. It is a dangerous knee-jerk reaction which may save lives of a couple of unfortunate bystanders but it is a crocodile and a crocodile is dangerous teeth or no teeth.)

The language this debate is done in the US is a sick joke, as if people on both sides of the political spectrum wish to avoid difficult questions with even more difficult answers.

No - I think other countries manage their evil people better - put them in jail or other correctional facility sooner - such as Saudi Arabia - you steal, you lose your hand (NOT that I'm advocating this, but hey - it works for them.  Again - I think their punishments are extreme, but extreme punishments work).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »

It's just sick.

You can get semi-auto AKs, but the clip makes it look like an AK. Most SKS rifles have a small clip, but he could have got a large capacity one.

I thought AK's had a switch to put it on auto or semi-auto.  But my point is - nobody needs an auto.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2007, 04:16:08 PM »

Are AK-47s legally obtainable (to an individual matching Hawkins' despriction) in Nebraska?

Apart from that you ARE endorsing such punishments by saying so as they stop "evil people" whoever they are. You haven't why people become "evil" in first place.

(Worth noting the almost always constant in these shootings: The shooter is a male, is involved in a major institution (Schooling, Post Office being the two obvious example) and has recently lost his job\girlfriend.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »

Are AK-47s legally obtainable (to an individual matching Hawkins' despriction) in Nebraska?

Apart from that you ARE endorsing such punishments by saying so as they stop "evil people" whoever they are. You haven't why people become "evil" in first place.

(Worth noting the almost always constant in these shootings: The shooter is a male, is involved in a major institution (Schooling, Post Office being the two obvious example) and has recently lost his job\girlfriend.)

No - I'm not endorsing the punishment just because I say it works.  If we killed off everybody over 12, we probably wouldn't have very many rapes, so that would "work" to stop rapes, but i don't advocate it.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »

If we killed everyone over 12, there would be no "we" to speak of. But anyway all this is irrelevant (though I doubt that Saudi punishments are actually that effective but anyway..) to the topic at hand, you still haven't told me what an "evil" person and why there seems to be more "evil people" in the US than anywhere else? If these types of shootings are to go by...

Not to mention that pretty much everywhere Europe nowadays has a more liberal sentencing regime than the US so punishment can't be the ONLY factor.. if it is even a factor at all.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 04:34:59 PM »

I don't know about Nebraska firearms law (although I did have to research another part of their law yesterday), but you can get semi-auto only AKs.

The standard AK has selective fire (it differs from normal assault rifles in that it goes safe, full-auto, single).

There's no reason for a civilian to own an automatic weapon. I don't much see the point of an AK either.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »

If we killed everyone over 12, there would be no "we" to speak of. But anyway all this is irrelevant (though I doubt that Saudi punishments are actually that effective but anyway..) to the topic at hand, you still haven't told me what an "evil" person and why there seems to be more "evil people" in the US than anywhere else? If these types of shootings are to go by...

Not to mention that pretty much everywhere Europe nowadays has a more liberal sentencing regime than the US so punishment can't be the ONLY factor.. if it is even a factor at all.

Evil is somebody who knows that what they are doing is wrong ("I am sorry"), but still go out and do wrong (and even brag about it "Now I'll be famous") - why are there more?  For minor things like domestic abuse - because they can get away w/ it.  We don't have compulsory pressing of charges.  Women keep going back to abusive men for reasons I don't know why (I have family friends that do this and it is the MOST frustraiting thing in the world.

For more violent crimes (murder) - because America has become desensiized to violence.  Some nutjob kid gets dumped by his girlfriend and fired from work - so he feels like crap and wants to be famous when he dies.  Well, guess what - you're now the most famous asshole of 2007 in Nebraska!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »

All that is required in Nebraska to purchase a rifle is an adult passing this FBI check(like most states as far as I know).  If he would have passed that (I don't know if he would have.  He did have a "history", so maybe not) he would have been allowed to purchase an SKS.  As was his legal right under the Constitution.

He didn't though, he stole it from his (presumably estranged?) step father.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »

All that is required in Nebraska to purchase a rifle is an adult passing this FBI check(like most states as far as I know).  If he would have passed that (I don't know if he would have.  He did have a "history", so maybe not) he would have been allowed to purchase an SKS.  As was his legal right under the Constitution.

He didn't though, he stole it from his (presumably estranged?) step father.

I know he stole it - so some of the blame lies w/ the father for not keeping it more secure.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2007, 12:25:37 PM »

The kid was evil.  He said he was sorry for what he was about to do, yet did it anyway.  He said "Now I'll be famous" - he's an evil freak that left his poor family the legacy that he was a murderer.

I'm sorry, Inks, but it is at least of no use and at most patently absurd to consider individuals the cause of 'their' actions. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2007, 12:28:37 PM »

I'm sorry, Inks, but it is at least of no use and at most patently absurd to consider individuals the cause of 'their' actions. 

So you're telling me it's not the kid's fault that he killed 8 other people?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2007, 12:33:52 PM »

How could it be?  He was a powerless person, socialized in a certain way.  When poors are abused thusly, we can expect that some of them will kill themselves, some will turn to ordinary crime, some will lash out as he did and then kill themselves, and the great majority will knuckle under and be good obedient servants for 50 years and then die. 

I should think if we are intellectually curious we would want to trace the source of the original socialization rather than waste time with 'blame' for the individual.  We already know that 'he' 'pulled the trigger', now lets move on to some more interesting analysis.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »

How could it be?  He was a powerless person, socialized in a certain way.  When poors are abused thusly, we can expect that some of them will kill themselves, some will turn to ordinary crime, some will lash out as he did and then kill themselves, and the great majority will knuckle under and be good obedient servants for 50 years and then die. 

I should think if we are intellectually curious we would want to trace the source of the original socialization rather than waste time with 'blame' for the individual.  We already know that 'he' 'pulled the trigger', now lets move on to some more interesting analysis.

So, you don't believe in free will?  Demography isn't destiny.  A person can decide his/her own actions no matter what situation that person's in.  For example, this kid could've killed himself without shooting up the mall.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2007, 12:53:33 PM »

Poors are abused!!!!  He was an alcoholic drug addict!  It's his own fault.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »

So, you don't believe in free will?  Demography isn't destiny.  A person can decide his/her own actions no matter what situation that person's in.  For example, this kid could've killed himself without shooting up the mall.

He could've slipped on a banana peel on his way to the shootout.  So?

Poors are abused!!!!  He was an alcoholic drug addict!  It's his own fault.

Alcoholism and drug addiction are merely symptoms of a larger ailment, Inks.  The monkey on this man's back was the ruling class, not mary-jane.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2007, 01:29:45 PM »

The problem is that his 'socialization' was by no means as bad as what he did. So what if he was poor and didn't get as many breaks in life. At least he was alive. He could have had enjoyed many things and even made something of himself. It is not as if society was marching him up to the executioner's scaffold for actions of no fault of his own. All was not lost. But by killing himself, all did become lost. Oh, now he is famous, you say? Infamous, is more like it. And that is a poor consolation for losing his entire life.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2007, 03:08:26 PM »

So we're all victims?  Even though we live better lives than anybody in history?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies