BREAKING NEWS: Up to 5 shot in possible sniper attack at Omaha mall, WOWT TV rep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:41:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING NEWS: Up to 5 shot in possible sniper attack at Omaha mall, WOWT TV rep
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Up to 5 shot in possible sniper attack at Omaha mall, WOWT TV rep  (Read 7067 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »

It's interesting that Inks feels the Saudis have an effective method of preventing evil, due to the severity of their justice system.

Quite indicative of an unhealthy frame of mind (where morality and legality are synonymous terms).

Did I say that I support their penalty system?

No.  You called it effective.

Right - it is effective.  They have less crime.

Very effective...This woman, for instance, will be sure not to be gang raped again after her 200 lashes and 6 month imprisonment. You can bet she also learnt her lesson when the judges increased the sentence on appeal because of the case's media attention.

Look - by no means am I advocating their punishments, but you can't tell me that they don't work better.

Yes, I can...I just did. The punishment can't surely be argued to 'work better' when it's applied to the victim, as in the above example.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2007, 01:51:19 AM »

It's interesting that Inks feels the Saudis have an effective method of preventing evil, due to the severity of their justice system.

Quite indicative of an unhealthy frame of mind (where morality and legality are synonymous terms).

Very effective...This woman, for instance, will be sure not to be gang raped again after her 200 lashes and 6 month imprisonment. You can bet she also learnt her lesson when the judges increased the sentence on appeal because of the case's media attention.

Look - by no means am I advocating their punishments, but you can't tell me that they don't work better.

Yes, I can...I just did. The punishment can't surely be argued to 'work better' when it's applied to the victim, as in the above example.

But the punishment on the others?  We're not talking about punishing the victim as well - I'm saying that the other punishment was harsh too.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2007, 05:16:27 AM »

But the punishment on the others?  We're not talking about punishing the victim as well - I'm saying that the other punishment was harsh too.

Ah, so you're suggesting that it doesn't matter too much if victims get punished as well and a society of fear develops, so long they contribute to a low official crime rate?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2007, 09:37:09 AM »

No, I don't think he's saying that at all.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »

Ah, so you're suggesting that it doesn't matter too much if victims get punished as well and a society of fear develops, so long they contribute to a low official crime rate?

Well, he's correct that ridiculously harsh punishments for every crime would probably result in a low crime rate.

What this really proves is that a low crime rate by itself is not a very good metric of whether or not a place is desirable.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2007, 09:50:18 AM »

Well, he's correct that ridiculously harsh punishments for every crime would probably result in a low crime rate.

What this really proves is that a low crime rate by itself is not a very good metric of whether or not a place is desirable.

Concur. Examples: the USSR and apparently East Germany.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2007, 11:14:09 AM »

I agree.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »

Not only that, but isn't even always true (that high level of punishment results in a low crime rate). Examples: Victorian Britain, Lots of modern South America...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2007, 12:15:47 AM »

No, I'm saying that really harsh crime punishments result in lower crimes - but I'm not advocating the way that the Saudi's punish people at all.  Just because something works doesn't mean it's good.

I agree.
That was my point.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies